1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On MJA sub or two for music?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Nimby, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hi everybody,

New member first post.

I'm buying a sub (or two?) by mail order for a medium high end MUSIC ONLY system with floorstanders. Room 25ft x 15ft furnished attic.

I notice I can get 2 x MJA Ref 100's for exactly the same price as a single Ref1. But if I buy the Ref1 I won't be able to afford another for quite a long time. If ever.

Has anyone tried both setups who could advise which I should go for? The two Ref 100s will give me stereo deep bass. The Ref1 better quality but mono. But is this important?

I'd prefer to stick with MJA regardless of other favoured makes. I trust my dealer who has recommended both options as suitable for my system/room. I could of course just get a single Ref100 to see if I like the sound of these boxes. But then I'd be committed to the Ref100(s).

The final choice will be unheard until plugged in at home when the boxe(s) arrive.

I'd be really grateful for some of the expertise found here to help me make the final decision.

Thanks
    NIMBY :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What kind of speakers are you currently using and what type of music do you like listening too.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    MJ Ref 1 every time. You won't regret it. I have now got to the point where I am thinking of adding a second one, but one is really more then adequate.

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hi Ian J,
    Mission 753Fs. Music = just about everything including classical, organ, folk/rock and metal.
    I'm looking for more impact & extension at the bottom end without screwing up the sound quality. Presently pushing the volume way too high to find the deep bass and slam on rock/metal. (No near neighbours)
    I like my system. So a sub (or two) should hopefully add what's needed without subtracting anything.
    I thought I could even have two known settings. One with classical/folk/organ set 'flat' for clean extension. But with rock/metal upped a step or two for some real wallop. What do you think?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Normally one good sub is preferable to two lesser subs and I can't see any reason why it would not be the same in your case, especially if you listen to organ music which can go very deep indeed.

The Ref one would seem to be a better bet than a pair of the Ref 100 but I thought that I would check your taste in music first.

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Thanks for that Ian.

Now what about stereo in the deep bass?

Crustyloafer, you are considering a second Ref1? You just moved the goalposts!
    Are you talking about music, AV or both here? As an owner of the Ref1 what are you unsatisfied about with just one? You obviously like it enough to want two. So what are you looking for, that one doesn't do for you? I'd be delighted to hear what you think about this sub as an owner. Since I can't hear one before buying.
    It requires quite an investment to buy two Ref1s straight off. I'm struggling to get the idea of a single MJ Ref100 past SWMBOAWQ as it is.
    I needed two know whether stereo bass is worth having on music to even sell the idea of two Ref100s to myself. Stepping up to two Ref1s needs to be pretty amazing to warrant the greater expense. Help?

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Twin subs are really for AV use where much more is made of the deep bass than in music. DVD even has a dedicated LFE channel but OI'm not sure that twin subs would be of much benefit in just a music environment

8. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to hijack this thread but I just wanted to know how the high level Neutrik Speakon cable is connected at the amp end. My sub at the moment is just connected via low level with a QED interconnect. I understand the high level is connected to the speaker outputs on the amp, but how is this done, I can't see a seperate connection for a sub speaker cable.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There isn't one. Use the same speaker terminals as the main speakers are connected to on the amp.

10. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does that mean that if I have the front speakers bi-amped I can't do it? Are you talking about connecting the sub to the front left and right terminals?

I'm just wondering how the sub speaker cable would be terminated.