1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On line DVD Rental

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Philip Newton, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick recommendation . I have been a member of in-movies online rental now for 3 months and am really pleased with the service and I have seen loads of movies for the money check it out www.in-movies.co.uk I pay £20 a month and get three out a time and have not so far had any issues with postage, although once I had a disc that did not play. Cheers Phil :D

2. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you ever tried www.movietrak.com. £3.25 a film plus a flat £.50p postage for up to 4 dvd's at a time. 7 days to watch the film and normaly arrive the next working day. Complete with there own prepaid return packaging. I used to find them really good.

3. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i have but it is £3.25 a time and i am watching 6 movies at very least a month which works out more expensive than in-movies for me but they are very good for one offs every so often. You can keep in-movies discs for as long as you want they just don't send you out the next one

4. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like in-movies.com!
    They have three levels of membership.
    I tried the bronze level at Xmas as there was a free trial. After the trial was other, I didn't watch enough DVD's to justify the monthly expense, but the DVD lite level of membership is quite a recent addition, and so I'm back with 'em at this level.
    It's £7.50 a month, only one disk at a time, and I pay 27p to get the dvd back to 'em.

There must be a level that suits everyone! :)

Oh! Anyone wanna try, if you PM Philip or me we could refer you! I forget what you get, but if you stay with them after, 3 months we get a DVD ;)

5. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Choose from:
    Gold - 5 films out at any one time for £25 per month
    Silver - 3 films / £20 per month
    Bronze - 2 films / £15 per month
    DVD Lite - 1 film / £7-50 and you pay the return postage.

http://62.204.33.105/dvd/main.php

The refer a friend is: -
    "If you recommend our service to a friend ask them to include your name on the joining form and you will be able to choose a free DVD. You can choose a free film from the 'referral DVD genre list. As we now offer a 14 day trial, referred members must remain as members for at least 2 paying months for you to receive your free DVD - we're generous , but not that generous!"

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    In-movies is good - I've been using them for a while along with 2 work mates (we split the monthly fee 3 ways).
    We've had quite a few dodgy discs though that skip all over the place and a couple that just won't play

7. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Using In-Movies too and I'm finding that some discs are in very bad nick when they arrive.

I've had to return six movies that were just unplayable on either my Tag/PS2 or Xbox.

Just shows how little respect some people have for other peoples property.

8. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm a subscriber to www.dvdsontap.com who use the same pricing structure. Anyone want to be referred drop me a pm with your email address and I'll refer you.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree, the quality of the discs is often bad or very bad.
    I try once to put a note and add the disc again. The same disc came :(

Except that I am pretty happy with the system.

But if someone knows an other company providing similar service with good quality DVD I am intersted.

Julien

10. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for trying KevinH but to be honest the gift for a referal is to keep a disc and as this forum shows they are not the best quality I have had some issues with a couple of discs but nothing to stop me using them. Although it is very very annoying as you can wait a few months for a title, get excited when it gets here and then it will not play!!! talking of service though ordered a tosh 220 from le concepts yesterday and arrived 7am this morn WOW!!

11. jono

jono
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ve be with in-movies.com on the Bronze service since January, all but one dvd has not played and that was after 30minutes. But I have had 3 dvds get lost or stolen in the post 2 being sent to me and 1 sent to them.

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Just reveiced Pearl Harbour and it's in an awful state - looks like someone has been at it with a brillo pad
    We emailed them to tell the it was unplayable and they said they now have a cleaning machine so the disc should be perfect when we receive it !!!
    I suggest that anyone who has a problem disc should email them straight away and let them know they are not perfect !!

13. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use ViewDVD and I am really disappointed at the number of discs that I get that crash because of disk damage.

I never seemed to have this problem renting at Blockbuster so I suspect it's damage caused in the post when they don't use the original boxes......

Gary

14. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I also use View DVD, and I haven't had any problems playing the 10 films that I have had so far, so I am quite happy using them.

I cancelled my subscription for SKY movies (crappy analogue cable service didn't do justice to most films, and I want the full benefit of Dolby Digital and Widescreen) and joined View DVD. The best thing about it is that I am in control of what time I watch the film, and I can pause it to go and get another beer. :D

15. viewdvd

viewdvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the MD of ViewDVD (http://www.viewdvd.tv) and have been reading these posts with interest. Others may be interested in our own experience regarding DVD condition. We had all expected that customer abuse apart DVds would last at least 50 plays. It turns out that some DVD players actually scratch the surface gradually, (this from a DVD disc repairing company) and so the myth of durability is being exploded.

We are doing something about this concern, which has obviously plagued our competitors. When disks return to us we check for physical damage and also clean them. Any disks reported as faulty or jumping are taken out of service immediately and subsequently played in full. Sometimes the disks play OK on our own players, in which case they are returned to service, but flagged for caution. A second complaint removes them altogeher for repolishing.

Scratches can occur at any time, but we have now introduced a policy to repolish automatically after 20 plays. We keep a disk history for every DVD and can thereby monitor each one closely. We ahebalso completely re-designed our packaging, since the trasnsit damage was a contributory factor. We are also testing the idea of installing a Maxell disk shield on all popular titles, which though expensive may help us achieve the high stard we seek. All our disks are turned round the same day by the way, a great feature- but this limits the time we have for checking.

Best to all, Roger Coghillhttp://www.viewdvd.tv http://www.viewdvd.co.uk

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK i am thinking that i would rather pay for DVD's to be sent to me than pay for the sky movie channels. but i was hoping for some more feed back about the discs etc postage issues any special offers, i am well tempted to try the 14 day trial at www.dvdsontap.com (serpico if you are still around could you PM me a referal?) Any other suppliers? am would probably go for the 1 disc postage poaid option but i would like info on turn around. is that enough to get 2 or 3 films in a week? I would like to be able to watch some TV series DVD release as well but get them in order at a reasonable rate. Are the discs renatl copies with no special features? Do they send out 2 disc sets?

17. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using WebFlix (www.webflix.co.uk) for a couple of months now. I'm on the cheapest option of £10/month for 1 disc at a time. They send the disc out with a return envelope and postage paid. I probably have one a week from them, maybe more.

I've only got one disc / movie at a time from them and I assume they're rental copies.

They e-mailed me yesterday about damaged discs, apologising and saying they'd had a number of reports of damaged discs so were including a protective pad in all the packaging in the future.

Their service has been fantastic, they send the next disc out as soon as you return the other one.

I've been using it to catch up on old movies I've not got in the collection, or stuff I'd watch only once.

This is another company well worth looking at.

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

18. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The service from Dvdsontap has improved even more since my last post. They inspect each disk on return and grind them to remove scratches as necessary. I have had only one dodgy disk this year. I pay £15 a month for 2 disks at a time, and usually get 4 movies a week.

Highly recommended.

19. Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have also been using DVDsontap now for about 6 weeks and have had 5 films out on the 9.99pm option which gives you 1 film at a time and postage paid. I rate the service as very good, no problem disks and fast turnaround. For example I returned one yesterday, last post, and got an email today to say the next one is on its way.

My only complaint is that I have a particular film at the top of my list that I want to see badly, but I keep getting the lower priority ones instead.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thanks guys i think I will try the trial at dvdon tap and see how many i can turn around!

21. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Webflix - quality leaves a lot to desire.

I started a subscription one month ago. The last 3 DVDs wre so badly damaged they look like they've had a beltsander over them. The content froze on 3 to 6 occassions depending on the movie and the player could not even fastforward beyond this point. The viewing experience was an absolute nightmare.

Webflix have sent an apology to all users and have made some mods to the case design (inserting some cardboard between the case and the disc). I hope for their sake that this works because I am giving them only one more try after which I will vote with my feet and try someone else (dvdsontap, viewdvd,...)

A great idea with lousy execution. When will these bsuinesses learn - the devil's in the detail. Sort out the apparently minor detail of getting a non-damaged disc to the customer and you will get it right.

Regards

22. terminalterror

terminalterror
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently subscribe to Mailbox Movies, who used to be the cheapest rental website by quite a bit, but have just put up their prices, leaving them the cheapest, but by pence instead of pounds now. Of the 20 or so DVDs I have received so far, only one had a slight problem. Their customer service is also excellent, replying to emails very promptly and allowing you to request films not on their list, which they usually add within a week.

If anybody decides to sign up to them, please put the username 'strange' into the referral box. With two referrals I get a month free!

Also, the forum on the mailbox movies site only went up a few days ago, so bear that in mind before you criticise its problems (of which there are many, I think they launched it a bit prematurely)

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK its going to be in movies or Veiw DVD i think but which one????
    The missus is going to off work for a few weeks for an operation and wants to watch Buffy angel friends all the way through but as she wont be able to walk I reckon online is the best bet over a local shop as the post box is much closer!!!!!

ANy new opinions????

24. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My last 6 in-movies rentals were effected by freezes due to scratches. Tomorrow Never Dies, Absolute Power, Band Of Brothers 2, Signs, XXX, Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
    There are new and old titles there!

Moved my list over to dvdsontap, and so far I've been OK!

I was with in-movies for nearly a year. Only had an odd disk here and there that had quality issues, until the last 6 in a row made me quit and try somewhere else (obviously dvdsontap....).

I've had time to rent 8 dvds from dvdsontap, only a couple were new titles (8mile, K19 widowmaker). The rest were old! titles (e.g. Good Will Hunting, A Time To Kill, etc.).

Is there a summary? Maybe just that things change!!!!

25. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I had the free trial with DVDs On Tap, and I had couple of films with no problem. The third one got lost in the post going back to them. Was a bit of a hassle to get it sorted, but got there in the end. Quality of the discs was OK for the few that I saw.

I then signed up with MailBox Movies, and their service seems pretty good. Had a few films from them so far. One was a bit scratched and pitted, but it played more or less OK with just a couple of jumps.

Another had a crack in it from the centre of the disc for about 1.5cm. I emailed them, and they sent out some new discs before I'd returned the damaged one.

I'm going to stick with them for a while and see how it goes. As long as I don't end up getting too many dodgy disks I'll be happy.

26. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Virtually all of them offer some free or discounted trial, so why not sign up for a few of them, and stick with the one you like the most.

I've been with Webflix for several months now, have about a disc a week on average and have had one problem disc, (Dog Soldiers). A few drops of crystal disc sorted it out. I've also had a disc go missing on the way back to them. One e-mail and it was all sorted out.

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I might try veiw DVD first as i am in cardiff and they are pontypool postage should be next day!!!!!! I will check that i can change membership level at anytime and may start off on a high level so the missus can get enough DVD's to keep hyer happy I nwould rather watch DVD's than pay £25+ amonth to sky/ntl thanks for the quick response guys

Anyone else got comments on Veiwdvd???

28. twotonemark

twotonemark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading this thread I've given it a go. Signed up for 14 day trial with DVDSONTAP yesterday evening. Received an email today informing me my first choice (Sum of all Fears) is on its way.

I shall update you on my experience.

**UPDATE**
    Joined Wednesday 16:50.
    Had an email Thursday 12:00 to confirm my first dvd was in the post.
    Friday morning DVD came through the letter box. Arrives in a small square envelope with the dvd in this funky little case...very cool..i want some!!
    Posting it back tomorrow morning in its pre-paid envelope.

Trying to talk the neighbours into taking the free trial after mine finishes so we can share the dvds amongst us. Before I spend £9.99 a month...if I'm satisfied at the end of the free trial.

29. twotonemark

twotonemark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my 2 week free trial with dvdsontap.com and I managed to get 3 movies in the 2 weeks. So in a month I could possible do 6 and at £9.99 that ain't bad compared to BBusters prices.

The discs are all in great condition and the turnaround is really fast.

I saw the site earlier this year but was sceptical until I saw reviews from customers. After reading the feedback from users on this thread I decided to try it. I'm glad I did I have been impressed.

If anyone reading this would like a referal then please PM me with your email address and I will arrange a referal email for you.

Cheers to everyone on this thread for their feedback on online rental companies.

30. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm with ViewDVD and, after a dodgy start with scratched discs, have been satisfied with them.
    I also live in Cardiff and have always received the new disc by return post.