On e for the conspiracy theorists amongst you.

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Global Warming.

I was thinking last night about the way the Earth orbits the Sun.

I will probably need putting right on this one one but, if the Earth is held in a constant orbit around the Sun, is it possible that the Sun's gravitational pull is slowly getting stronger, thus pulling the Earth closer to it all the time, thus increasing the temperature of the planet?

Does the Earth for instance circulate at a constant distance from the Sun, or does it get closer at certain points? If it does get closer at certain points of the orbit, how does it manage to break the increased gravitational pull and return to it's furthest point from the Sun before being pulled back in?

I was thinking last night night that it could be that 'Global Warming' is a story made up by the powers that be to stop the worldwide panic that would be caused by people knowing that the Earth was slowly careering into the Sun.

No doubt some of the physicists here will put me right :)

Adrenochrome said:
Stop smoking :D

:devil: :laugh:

Hey, at least I didn't post this last night :D

Don't be too dismissive about it though, it could be right. I can see me being dragged off by men in black suits and sunglasses soon, for knowing 'too much' :D

oh I love Astronomy.....the Earth is slowing down in terms of how fast it spins on its axis, so does that mean that the days are longer ie more time in the sun to heat up ?
Global warming is a reality, its just I am not sure if I agree on the current mainstream theories of why yet. If you look into the geological and glacial record there is evidence of a cyclical pattern of heating and freezing which is likely to be a stronger influence than mans entire output, ie apparently cows chuck out more greenhouse gases than all of the worlds cars !?

So how long do you give us before we smack into the sun then?

I ask as I have quite a bit of decorating to do and want to know if it is even worth starting :D

Cheers Jase.

The Earth does not rotate in a circle around the Sun, but in an oval shape called an ellipse. The Sun is not at the centre of this ellipse, but offset slightly. There are two consequences of this elliptical orbit:

* The distance between the Earth and Sun varies over the course of a year
* The speed the Earth travels in its orbit around the Sun varies over the course of a year

So, if the earth actually gets closer to the Sun at certain points why is it not dragged in by the increased gravitational pull, or does the 'pull' remain constant throughout?

:confused:

Jase, you are the master of all links. Sign you have a faster connection these days :laugh:

I'm getting dizzy thinking about this :D

The days are getting shorter. I've got the facts.

I get less done evey day because of running out of time :D

How much more proof do you need. :D

I bet the lot of you are the same. :hiya:

Ido.

If global warming keeps on increasing at the rate it is what will be the average tempreture in the summer say 100-150 years from now. There is already talk that Britian will become a holiday spot like spain is in 20 years time because the tempreture would of risen considerably. Who would of heard of aircon in the UK 20 years ago.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom