1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? on DVD-A and SACD

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by happynow, Jun 25, 2002.

1. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been into h/c for around 7 years now but haven't ventured into DVD-A etc.... Mainly because I have a reasonable CD collection. After reading a few posts on different forums I am unsure of a few things.
    Can I play DVD-A or SACD to full benefit ie: Not in DD/DTS but in 5.1 audio as it's meant to be on my Phillips 762DVD player. I read somewhere that to play it as DVD-A you must have 5.1 analoge outputs (which mine has) as it won't play from the digital output due to copyright or something. I have looked on the Phillips website and found no mention of any Phillips DVD's playing SACD or DVD-A. I have looked in the manual, it says it can play MP3's at various bitrates :
    32,64,96,128,192,256 (kbps)
    Sampling frequencies :
    32,44.1,48 (khz)
    DA coverter 24 bits
    Digital Audio Format :
    DTS/DD @16,20,24 bits
    PCM @44.1,48,96 (khz)
    I have made a few mp3 discs using various bitrates all work great,
    but I am curious as to whether it can play DVD-A or not using the analoge outputs.

Also according to the manual it has 2 lasers 1 for cd's 1 for DVD's
    Would that affect anything?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Your player will not play DVD-A nor SACD material.

For DVD-A or SACD you need dedicated players. A true 'universal player' like e.g. the Pioneer 747 will play both formats.
    It is correct that you need to use the 5.1 analog output to hear the multichannel sound from DVD-A/SACD.

3. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I won't be bothering with either format for a few years then.
    Or should I say, I will consider it when my current DVD player breaks down.
    As my DVD is only 8 months old I am hoping it will last a couple of years before I need to replace it.
    Hopefully they will be unified with standard DVD players by then. If not I won't bother.
    No room in my hi-fi stand.

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    happynow - Reiner's reply is right & wrong at the same time ...
    DVD-A discs ALL have either a DD5.1 or DTS track as well as the DVD-A track(s) therefore you can listen to the DD5.1 without a DVD-A player & without having 5.1 analog connections ...
    I did exactly that to see what the DVD-A discs were like and they sound very good (as good if not better than a music DVD - like the Corrs Unplugged or Eagles HFO for example)
    DVD-A obviously is in another league - which I found out when I went from a DVD player to a DVD-A player
    My suggestion would be to buy either Hotel California DVD-A or A Night At The Opera DVD-A (this has a DTS 96/24 track FYI) & see what you think - People I have loaned them to have been gobsmacked -
    What prompted me to go the whole hog for a DVD-A player is that most of the extras on a DVD-A are only accessible with a DVD-A player (commentary tracks / video etc - The Queen one has the Bohemian R video in full 5.1 for example)
    If you decide to take the plunge let me know & I'll fill you in on the best places to get the discs ...
    Regards - Paul ;)

5. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I have Eagles HFO and Hotel and Night at the Opera on cd already, as well as many Queen albums and Freddie Mercury albums (total of 25 I think). All Dire Straits (which incidently sound great in D ProLogic 2) HFO sounds great already as does the video tape of the MTV unplugged version.
    What sort of prices can I expect to pay forSACD DVD-A disks?

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    happynow - Reiner's reply is right & wrong at the same time ...
    DVD-A discs ALL have either a DD5.1 or DTS track as well as the DVD-A track(s) therefore you can listen to the DD5.1 without a DVD-A player & without having 5.1 analog connections ...

Well, of course I didn't mean you can't play them at all but instead I wanted to point out that he can't play the DVD-A or SACD (in case of a hybrid) tracks on his existing DVD player to benefit from the higher quality recording (Hence I used "material" instead of "disc").
    Sorry if that wasn't clear. ;)

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    happynow ...
    Its depends where you buy them ? I got a few from www.devoted.com.au in Oz and they were about £12 delivered
    A Night At The Opera I got from www.futureent.com and it was £15.99 delivered (but I couldnt find it anywhere cheaper)
    Most USA & Canadian Sites do DVD-A (cant answer for SACD as I cant play them)
    Reiner ... I understood what you were saying but it appeared that happynow didnt ;)