1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On Board Scalers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bardel, Nov 28, 2004.

1. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I'm getting the jist of all this scaler stuff but have the following questions.

Firstly, the naming, I presume the number is the amount of lines eg 480i what is the i on the end for? Interlaced? Does progressive have a p on the end instead?

Im considering a new Pioneer 668 or 868 player, I've looked on the Pioneer website and it says Horizontal Resolution is 540, so is this the equivalent of 540i or am I off track with this?

Also, I've been reading threads which say that the 868 can be scaled to 720, if I've got the bit above the lines above right, should the Pioneer website say 720 rather than 540?

Is 720 the max for these players or can they output 1080i also?

Lastly, can the 668 output these higher resolutions also?

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi,

Yes, you're correct. 480i is 480 lines interlaced, and 480p is 480 lines progressive.

The 540 figure is for horizontal resolution i.e. the player could resolve 540 black and white alternate vertical lines and not a grey mush, on a suitable display. Pioneer's 868 can output 1080i in addition to 720p. The 668 can only output 480i/p and 576i/p. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks for responding Dutch, it's been a big help.

I currently have a Sony VPL-HS1, I know by todays standards it's not up to much (800x600) so I plan at some point to replace it with something like the Sanyo Z3 maybe (probably mid next year though).

I think this pj is 1024x720 resolution so I presume I would be best getting a player which can output at 720 such as the 868?

Also can these higher resolutions only be output using HDMI / DVI? I was thinking of going this route with my next projector anyway, however, from a price point of view the Panasonic 757 would be ideal but it doesnt offer HDMI.

Lastly, can anyone tell me what the maximum cable run lengths are for component / HDMI connections?

Thanks

Barry

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    if your not buying a PJ right away then maybe sonys new LCD PJ would be a better choice than the Z3, it has a contrast ratio of up to 6000:1 and has an HDMI output for what looks to be about £1600-1800 MRRP.
    it is also 1280X720(which i think the Z3 is as well) native res so would be a good match for an upscaling DVD player.

HDMI cable lengths can be quite long, mine is at 10M and a good friend of mind has two 10m lengths joined together

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    with an upscaling DVD player the higher res`s are only availble with HDMI and DVI,

6. bardel

bardel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks Gandley, more useful stuff for me.

I presume you mean the new Sony HS50? I'll keep an eye out for some reviews. Probably won't be buying till mid next year though, so probably be an even newer 7000:1 contract ratio one out then ;)

Just need to decide about the DVD players, not sure I can stomach £750 for the 868 unless there are any alternatives (Denon 2910?)... Oh man, need to asses the WAF (wife acceptance factor) me thinks!