on best router/modem for xboxlive talk talk

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by zorg3, Dec 23, 2011.

1. zorg3

zorg3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi everybody and thks in advance for any help
    could anyone please advice me which is the best wireless modem/router for xbox live on talk talk . my current one is a zyzel g type and my son keeps on moaning about it dropping out . i have looked on the talk talk website and one they suggest is the netgear dgn2000.any suggestions highly appreciatted and thanks again also MERRY CHRISTMAS HO HO HO

2. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    You should maybe investigate why its dropping out first before spending money............

Try the program inSSIDer to establish what other wireless sources are close by and the possibility of interference..........:smashin:

3. zorg3

zorg3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks media man i will try that however i forgot to mention i can only get a signal occasionally in my downstairs back room ( router is located in bedroon) would that be be because the g type is not strong enough if that is the case would i not be better off replacing with n type anyway ?if so which router for talk talk sorry to be pain . please forgive my ignorance and thanks in advance happy new year regards peter

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    There's no difference between the signal "strength" of G and N. If you are getting poor signal reception from a G AP, there's no reason for it to be any better with an N AP - it could even be worse!

Don't for get that wifi is a two way street: AP's transmit to client devices, client devices transmit to AP's. It's perfectly possible that the reason for sessions "dropping out" is because the client can't transmit a good enough signal for the router to "hear."

To echo the previous response - I'd suggest you read the Wi-Fi interference FAQ in this forum before spending any money. It may be that all you need to do is change radio channels.