On average how many years before TV technology advances to warrant an upgrade?

justmeagain

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had my TV for 5 years. It is a high end Panasonic Led with HDR. The picture quality is fantastic. However, I have no idea how TV technology has advanced since I purchased it in 2015. How far have TV’s come on since then regarding picture quality and browsers etc?

5 years, that's ancient round these parts:D:D

I have a Panasonic TX-50CX802B, it had great reviews at the time, what has changed since then?

FOMO?
If it aint broke why fix it?
You were happy 5 years ago, the best review was added when you bought the Panny it's ................
.....yours

It's always good to keep an eye on latest technology but as you said above " the picture IS fantastic " I think there's much to recommend sticking with what you have for the next couple of years if you are happy with your TV picture. Namely OLED is becoming mature and pricing will fall. LED via QLED is developing at a pace and HDMI 2.1 will become mainstream and problems will be ironed out in the next couple of years, smart tv platforms will mature and be driven by app quality and availability,

There's a concept in evolution called punctuated equilibrium. This says that change happens in spurts not evenly. Things can be stable for a time, sometimes a long time and then change can happen and punctuate that balance. Probably true of technology too. Major change happens occasionally, equilibrium and minor evolutionary change most of the time. For the purpose of selling more kit manufacturers will amplify the sense of change being bigger than it is.

Mini LED looks like a good use hopefully in a few years it will replace my XH95 65 inch but will be happy if 4 years use.

Well as I have posted several times on this forum I have a 12 year old Panasonic. The picture quality I get on this is still amazing. It was one of the first "fullHD" i.e. 1080x1920 panels available rather than the "HD ready" panels that abounded at that time. Of course this is limited to HD sources and in fact the TV has always been mainly used with the concurrent VM cable boxes (V+HD, Tivo, V6) but also with Amazon prime firestick. Audio quality is also excellent as it has a built in mini soundbar under the panel. In its time it was expensive (£850 in 2008 quids). It still works as out of the box.
Yes this is an IPS panel but was one produced by Panasonic themselves as a result of joint development with Hitachi ( Yes i know Vestel etc. but this was around 15 years ago!)
The main claim was that their panels gave better contrast ratios than other (at that time LG) IPS panels and greater colour dynamics.
This was largely true with edge light bleed being non existent except in corner where grand-daughter thumped it! In a dark room if I switch to cinema mode then the bars above and below a wide screen movie are black. Would like a bigger TV but even see problems with bloom into dark areas on todays VA panel TV's. Also how often am i going to watch a UHD source? Current estimate about 10 hours per month max.

I have Two 55" TCL 4K TVs. They work just great. About 5 years old.
Not going to do any upgrade until they crap out.
No need to upgrade every year.

Depends on the person more then anything. Some are tech chasers and will upgrade every year, even if said upgrade doesn't really effect any real world performance. Some will upgrade as tech seriously improves. So an early curved OLED to a 2016/2017 model would've been a decent spend. Again with OLED, going from a 2016 to a 2020 will be a decent upgrade.

My last 3 tvs (2013-currently)

32" Samsung
55" 4k LG (first gen 4k!) - a pointless tv really, because I had it years before 4k discs became available
55" 1080P OLED

Each has been a significant upgrade over the other. Went backwards with resolution, but the OLED has a much better picture compared the crappy IPS panel on the LG.

Looking to upgrade again as the oled has developed the common dead pixel issue, and the screen uniformity has gotten worse over time.

Either 65" oled or 75/85" LCD depending what the sales throw up. Be hard to drop OLED blacks, so prob end up with a CX or Panasonic HZ1000.

Though a Sony 85xh90 for 2.5k is hard to ignore...

I have a Panasonic TX-50CX802B, it had great reviews at the time, what has changed since then?
And mine :thumbsup:

Well as I have posted several times on this forum I have a 12 year old Panasonic. The picture quality I get on this is still amazing. It was one of the first "fullHD" i.e. 1080x1920 panels available rather than the "HD ready" panels that abounded at that time. Of course this is limited to HD sources and in fact the TV has always been mainly used with the concurrent VM cable boxes (V+HD, Tivo, V6) but also with Amazon prime firestick. Audio quality is also excellent as it has a built in mini soundbar under the panel. In its time it was expensive (£850 in 2008 quids). It still works as out of the box.
Yes this is an IPS panel but was one produced by Panasonic themselves as a result of joint development with Hitachi ( Yes i know Vestel etc. but this was around 15 years ago!)
The main claim was that their panels gave better contrast ratios than other (at that time LG) IPS panels and greater colour dynamics.
This was largely true with edge light bleed being non existent except in corner where grand-daughter thumped it! In a dark room if I switch to cinema mode then the bars above and below a wide screen movie are black. Would like a bigger TV but even see problems with bloom into dark areas on todays VA panel TV's. Also how often am i going to watch a UHD source? Current estimate about 10 hours per month max.

I tend to watch UHD (HDR) I f there is a choice. I use Netflix and Amazon prime more than regular TV. Some of the UHD HDR is hit and miss, however some of the more recent Netflix documentaries have superb picture quality. I suppose my question really revolves around any new HDR format and panel technology that may be a big improvement over my existing TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom