1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On a Window Cill?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dread, Oct 12, 2005.

1. dread

dread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a silly question, but out of curiosity, could put your LCD TV on a window cill? Would the heat damage it, or the sunlight effect your viewing?

2. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    I think you'll find that's spelt 'sill' :lesson:

The sun may fade the plastic on the back but not a problem if that doesn't bother you. The main issues I would think are:

The background light, like you said, is going to ruin the picture in daylight hours, although not a problem at night or in the winter.

Unless you live in a third-floor flat or higher it's an open invitation to passing scrotes to come in and nick it! :mad:

3. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would think this is a big no no in the UK. Window sills get vey cold in the winter or at night. Turn on an LCD and the heat will probably cause condensation to form. Water and electricity are not a good combi. Even if you don't get condensation, I would expect the cold to affect performance. It is Liquid crystal after all!

Sounds like a daft idea to me.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    LCD's cope very well with ambient light so direct sunlight on the screen may not be a problem, but as the previous post hints, cold decreases LCD performance badly affecting the response rate.

I would also be seriously concerned by the heat generated by direct sunlight and I suspect, like mine, the instructions warn you about putting the unit in direct sunlight. Infact, some units may powerdown when they get too warm - mine does at 40C ambient which I would see as being highly probable on a hot sunny day in direct sunlight behind glass.

As you say, sill-y question and just asking for trouble.

5. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you read the instruction manual it will probably say.... 'do NOT place in direct sunlight.'

This is because the temperatures inside the electronics can get very hot..... too hot to operate. Also, the sunlight will prematurely destroy the plastic.

I wouldn't do it unless you keep the curtains drawn closed. ( also prevents theft as mentioned earlier ).

6. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Good way to get it nicked.