1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On a budget and need help spending my money

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by SadaraK, Jun 14, 2003.

1. SadaraK

SadaraK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, first post on these forums and Im already asking for help :), oh well.

Im currently looking for a bargan price 32" Widescreen to replace my laughably inferior old 28" 4:3 model. The TV will be used to play games on ALOT (were talking Xbox,GC,PS2 and PC hooked up through SVHS). I have set myself the price point of £400 (I know, I know, but I said budget), but about £20/£30 extra would be ok if necesary.

Im not a complete newby at looking for quality stuff at cheap prices and have managed to track down a few models. What I need are opinons on what features I should try to get. Im shopping alot on ebay and you can get good deals on there if you look around.

For example I have found a Thomson 32WF401G 32 inch xtraflat tube. Widescreen. 100hz picture for £410 at my door.

What I need are some ideas about what to look for in features where to try shopping.

For example Iv heard that 100hz can be almost obsolete when concerned with games so is it worth the extra? And is it realy worth it for the widescreen if its going to distort the pictures of the games?

Cheers in advance for any advice and please ask if any more info on my situation is needed.

2. SadaraK

SadaraK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me? :confused:

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For quality a 32" at £400 is going to be lower end. A stonking 28" will be a better quality buy at that price. If you must go for 32" try S/H or ex display models (stay clear of Currys etc) or try LG they were lovely sets a year ago but getting a bit older now so you can get them cheap. Make sure the TV is NTSC compatible and has S-video connections, RGB would be better if you can.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "For example Iv heard that 100hz can be almost obsolete when concerned with games so is it worth the extra?"

This doesn't make any sense. Games are still 50 or 60hz (depending on PAL or NTSC) so having a 100hz (could) be better. But IMO I don't like 100hz sets.

"And is it realy worth it for the widescreen if its going to distort the pictures of the games?"

Some of the better sets have a decent squah mode (squashes more in the centre, compared to the outer regions. So people in the centre look fine, but people on the side could be slightly stretched. But since you look at the centre of the screen anway you don't notice it.

5. SadaraK

SadaraK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips. Can anyone recomend a good place (exept ebay) to shop for old LG, ex-display and S/H models?