• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Omni "rear" speakers.

martin99

Established Member
I need some Rear speakers for a simple 5.1 setup that aren't actually rear. due to room shape and other logistics the rear speakers will go level on either side of the main viewing sofa.

At the moment Ive got a pair of B&W CDM1's as rears, but that's a bit of a waste, so can anyone reccomend a pair of Omnis that might fit the bill as effects speakers.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
M&K CS Speakers would suit if you can find a pair 2nd Hand (they are no longer in production). They are especially suited to your position requirements and are tri-poles, so they wrap sound around you. Available as CS22, CS29 and CS35, where the number dictates the height in inches.

martin99

Established Member
Thanks but a bit pricey for my needs! To clarify i have a completely separate audio system for music, and 69% of my TV viewing is sports (anything but football) 29% factual 2% Movies.. so I'm not really interested in the latest greatest 99+1 audio system. Its just that the amp can do surround, the cables are under the carpet, so i may as well have a stab at 5.1.
Years and years ago I had some book shelf speakers that had something like a 4 inch driver firing downwards onto an inverted horn. ( if only I could remember the name) Thats the sort of thing I'm after,

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Most di-pole/bi-pole/dual tweeter speakers will work in this situation too (although all are always trade too). I use a a pair of di-pole speakers (I'm in a similar situation to you) at the rear as I just feel they are better at dispersing the sounds at the rear of the room compared to traditional directional speakers. What kind of budget are you looking at?

martin99

Established Member
Budget? As low as possible! eBay preferably.. Its an experiment rather than a necessity IYSWIM.

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
One unconventional approach I've found that works is a pair of fairly small satellite speakers facing each other along the wall - either end of the sofa and as wide as you can get.

This reduces localisation and gives a good effect. I use some old JBL Music 2 sub / sat speakers, with the subs in a corner for my second system for the kids room and it works really well.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I did this did for (pointing two speakers at each other at the rear) years and enjoy using my di-poles much more. So although it will work, the differences are (to me) far more noticeable and if you can accommodate a pair of speakers which can fill the rear of the room in a 180 degree field, I would always recommend it over pointing two speakers together

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom