OMG yet ANOTHER new gaming PC Build!

Dukebolo

Standard Member
This will be my second gaming PC build, the first being over 5 years ago so I'm not going to use any of my old components. I'm wanting to get the most "bang for my buck" so am going down the AMD road. I've done a bit of looking and came up with these parts. Would be awesome if more experienced people could give me advice

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 Black Edition (AM3) £100
Graphics card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6870 £130
Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333MHz £60
PSU: 500W Be Quiet! Straight Power £65
Case: Coolermaster Storm Scout Midi Tower £60
SSD (for OS/a few games): Crucial m4 64GB SATA-III £90
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 6gb/s £40
Motherboard: Unsure?? £60 - £100
Cooling (for overclocking): Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 £15

I don't really want to go over £650 and will be buying mostly from aria

Questions
1. Will It cope OK with new games on fairly high settings?
2. Which Motherboard?? (and will i be able to take advantage of SATA 6gb/s)
3. Should I go for better memory and would it make a noticable difference?
4. Any other changes? especially brand wise
5. Anything Else... comments... criticisms...

I really do appreciate any time people spend on this as It's quite a lot of money for me and I don't want to *&%$ it up!

Thanks, Colin

Last edited:

LJx

Hi, AMD are releasing their brand new processors in a few weeks which I am sure will be a vast improvement over what they have now. For this reason I would say either wait for those or use an Intel Sandy Bridge platform.

Dukebolo

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually going to need to wait a few weeks anyway to save the money! Is the general consensus these "bulldozer" cpus will be even better value for money? I'm not in a huge rush to get this built so I suppose I'll just wait and see

LJx

The bulldozer cpus are whole new architecture from AMD, the first for many years, I am sure when they are released to market it will mean existing AMD CPUs like the one above will drop in price a fair bit as well as maybe even the Sandy Bridge ones depending on the pricing

Dukebolo

Standard Member
Thankyou very much for the info. I'll definitely hold off for a bit to see how the pricing goes. I was thinking about Sandy Bridge but my final price build kept on rising! Hopefully I'll be able to get a decent mid-high range PC for the same money in a couple of months time

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom