1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG! What a coffee table.

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by UselessPratt, May 8, 2003.

1. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know AV would be much simpler if my other half wasn't so fussy on colour schemes and the positioning of certain coffee tables and the like. She has just dumped a coffee table between me and my sky box. Great. I have to move to operate the channel change now. You know those "infra red" extenders for sky that cost a few quid? Can I just plug one into the back ot the sky box and position the sensor six inches above the unit so I don't have to lean forward any more?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I guess so cant you move the sky box? or be really scheeky and move a mirror or reflective object in between, IR signal will happily bounce round stuff.
    PS are you any closer to sorting yourself out AV wise?

3. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Problem is that the sky box has to stay on the lower shelf because the upper shelf it about to be taken up by a center speaker ( my other half does not know this yet...!). I am not sure it is a good idea to place the center speaker on the lower shelf, but it sure would make life easy....I kinda thought the center speaker should be as close to the tv as possible.

Yes! I was originally going to slowly move over to AV from my traditional hi-fi, but I have decided now to take the plunge and go full AV in one go. I have just sold all the hi-fi and am starting to put together a huge list of new stuff! My wallet is looking nervous ( and may it well...).

You can tell I am getting near completion if the only thing I am worried about now is operating my remote.......however, this is an important point. I mean not much point in all this couch potato equipment if I spill my beer over it every time I try to change channel.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well you aint gonna have room under the TV for it all, so a rack in veiw of the remote is agood move especially for a dual purposes system, maximise sonic isolation, minimise cable lengths, you are correct about the centre, i have my centre on the top of the TV so that is an option, closer to ear level for me.
    This could be grounds for divorce, I am living with mine for the first time as of july and i dont think she is quite prepared!!!!

5. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh! Tell me about it. All my precious equipment has share space with the dog because of the endless friggin plastic fairies and pixies that occupy all the prime locations. Mind, it is my own fault, it would probably be allowed better locations if she knew how much it was all worth :) .... but that information is privy to me and the dog. My one ambition is to buy an AV unit that, when played at a certain volume, can, over time, degrade cheap plastic.

I remember one particularly good hi-fi shop just above London. This guy sold the real stuff! Amps were the size of gran's bungalow, speaker leads as fat as her legs... wow! We are talking serious stuff. The owner told me that he lived in fear of "other halves". The number of many-digit sales he lost because the final thing the buyer would do is bring his other half to listen to his intended purchase. The number of the fights that broke out in the auditioning rooms before the equipment was even turned on........

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    LOL mines not to bad she sees it as my system and as long as she approves i can spend my money on it. Quite cool really, I am not an audiophile, but i like to get the best out of stufff DVD without surrond is just expensive VHS on a small TV anyway, as long as she uses the kit i dont mind but her having cheap nasty stuff to listen to watch when i have decent gear would **** me off so much PS a nice big sub should wobble most ornaments of a normal mantle or shelf!!!!!!!
    Get a big one and say bye bye to crappy tat. just makesure the dog doesnt take too much of a liking to it!

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,475
    if use a pronto, then a coffe is not a problem, as the IR signal the pronto sends out is ultra strong.

Mine operates all my equipment, when facing the wrong way!