1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG - Vinyl Rocks!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by warrj, Nov 8, 2004.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Well, I had a very interesting experience at the weekend. My father's cheapo midi system has died recently so I offered to give him some of my 'retired' components; a Creek 4040s2 integrated amp, Genexxa hybrid speakers, old Technics CDP and old Technics tape deck. I went round at the weekend and wired it all up. I also connected my father's old Bush turntable - a very cheap marginally hi-fi piece from the mid-nineties. We then went thru each source in turn checking that it all worked OK.

I was absolutely gobsmacked when we got to the turntable. He put on an early sixties LP called 'Music From The Greek Islands'. Wow! It was so, for want of a better word, musical. It sounded more musical than my hi-fi at home (Krell integrated, Arcam CD23 + B&W 805s). Damn.

So, it has occurred to me that I actually have a turntable lying around at home. It's a Dual from the late eighties/early nineties which a friend gave me when he emigrated. I've never even opened the box...

Assuming that I'd like to give the Dual a whirl I'm guessing that I'd need a phono stage of some sort. So, what would people recommend as a 'starter' phono stage? I assume that the valve-based ones are hideously expensive? Are they worthwhile?

Regards,

Jules.

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Vinyl has a lot going for it still :)

Budget - NAD/Rotel/Project £40 up - OK sound wise - a step up from most budget integrated amp onboards (if they even have one)

MF XLPS £150 used about £100 (has a valve stage) - pretty good and a definate improvement over any of the amps up to £1k I have used.

Trichord Dino / MF V3 / Graham Slee £1 - 300

Above this I reckon you need a better deck along the lines of - Michell/Rega/Nottingham/Roksan with decent cartridge

Very pleased with my Dino and it can be upgraded with a NC PSU - this type of PSU made a large improvement to my Gyrodec

Check what cart you have as some stages only do MM and poss high output MC and not the normal MC's

Gus

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    don't forget the project Tube Box - valve based phono stage with an amazong sound for £300!

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Creek OBH are truly superb for thier very small price,go well with the Rega decks,moving up a bit,there is the Lehmann black cube SE,the Graham slee,Dynavector P75,and the Sonneteer sedly to consider,but the Creek like the little amp you have a stunning.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    A little shout for Moths 30 Phono stage : £275 new and can be picked up for a lot less secondhand. TE Microgroove can be had for a shade over £350 as well.

As for the joys of TTs Ive bought a couple of Project Debuts for friends who did not want to spend a fortune on a TT and they sound stunning to these ears VFM wise, in fact I dont think I would have a £300 CDP before a Project Debut. OPMMV of course. Anyway good to see someone finding cheap vinyl playback can sound real hifi wise.