1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG!! Sony FS76 reviewed!!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Manuman, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the new edition of Essential Home Cinema today, and to my delight they had a review of the Sony FS76, so i thought great!

Turned to the page in question and went straight to the picture score part, and it got a TWO out of FIVE!!!! 2/5!!!

The rest of the review was totally negative towards the set, apart from the remote control, which they loved. This has really made me wonder now whether i should ring up and cancel/change my order.....

FS76 owners, stand up and say the reviewer was talking out of his arse please for my own peace of mind....

2. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have some faith in why YOU chose it, if your is very poor, picture wise then get a refund. And start again.
    Its not a imediately fantastic set, the picture is very good , but does nt 'jump ' out at you.
    Its natual without all the p+ s**t. And poor contrast of the tosh's.
    I thpoght the 76 might get a poor review, the sound is ok and for the money no surround as some competitors. But I'm happy with mine.

3. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i actually auditioned (unknowlingly) the FS70 and the paperwork was all done by the time i realised my mistake, but the assistant assured me that the FS76 would be just as good, thats why im having these anxiety attacks!

But thanks for the advice mate, i would appreciate your all round impressions of the TV btw.

4. jock2

jock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Manuman

I did not see the review but if it says what you said either the reviewer needs his eyesight seen to or if his eyesight is ok he need his a*** booted out the door and his job given to someone who can give proper unbiased reviews.

I have the FS36 and putting it up against the Thomson 36WX87 which was returned to Ubeatable (damaged in transit) and the Panny 36PB50 (returned to Currys as it did not have features which the salesman said it had) the Sony comes out away ahead

Jock

5. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent!

Thanks man.

6. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt take too much notice of the review you read make your own mind up by viewing the tv .
    The number of times i have seen products reviewed by different magazines and panned by one then praised by another even when the magazine is a sister magazine ??????????.
    Rest assured the fs76 is a fantastic tv and doesnt have the many faults that the toshibas and panasonics do (dark patches, Moire patterning, Geometry ) i have a few 36" tvs over the last couple of years and imho the fs76 is by far the best to date !!

7. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im feeling better all the time!!

Thanks for those words of comfort.

8. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are definately a lot of anti-Sony reviewers out there you can just sense it from reading certain magazines they must be getting back handers

I recently purchased What Hi Fi Sound and Vision and the reviews of Sony were all poor.

One thing I notice they say is "its good but expensive" but do they say why is it expensive?

I have posed this question to a TV repair man previously and he told me that the quality of components used by Sony are far superior and more reliable than other manufacturers.
    Reviews do not take into consideration the reliability of the set do they?

My mate has had his Sony for 12 years and its still going, he's never had a fault with it.

As soon as I decided to purchase a new TV it was just a case of which is the best Sony and for my needs its the KV36FS76. Yes I would like an extra large plasma but they are silly money, give it 2 years and you'll pick one up for £500.

So all you reviewers and dealers out there who dislike Sony, you can stick your Louwe and Phillips up your a*** cos I think they're both crap!!! and they also look totally gay (you probably like that though .:D )

Hows that for an unbiased review?

Bam

9. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In every store I have been into (more than 5), the Sony has been the best

Phillips and Toshiba's were there also. Pixel Plus didnt do anything at all, cos I got sick of the artifacts straight away and the Toshiba didn't have the picture clarity of the Sony, probably due to the amount of spaces not covered by pixels

If that guy gave a poor review then he must of had a poor version of the FS76 as I could not understand how he could rate it that low

What price did they say it was?

They always quote something like £1800 even tho you can get it for less than £1400 now

10. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Providing you get an FS76 without a fault (this applies to all tvs new and old) it is IMO an awesome tv.

Picture is great, sound is more than adequate (most people will hook up 5.1 anyway) and everyone who has so far seen this tv in our living room don't listen to anything I have to say, they are too busy watching tv and or messing with all the features on the remote.

Order this tv and enjoy!

Regards

Tom

11. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again guys, youve really put my mind at rest.

I wonder if any other mags will give it a similar review.....

12. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just browsing on these forums should really tell you about the FS76

the voice of the consumers is louder than the voice of one reviewer :D

have you seen one instore Manuman ?

13. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yah, but theyve always been hooked up to either a dodgy dvd player, or a shared aerial, and as you know, that doesnt do it any favours.

14. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horizontal geometry may be less than great.
    But as for quality the damn thing was 10kg heavier than the Tosh zp18, and thats all in the tibe , I'm told.

15. KANU25

KANU25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reviews in the magazines make me laugh - one gives it 5 stars the other 2 or 3. So inconsistent but its all about opinions I guess

I'm 90% gonna buy this TV can any owners comment on what the football/cricket looks like on it??

Thanks

16. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it's England cricket normally it's crap
    English football aint' that much better
    Watching Sunderland is also crap :D no matter how good the picture quality is

17. Tony_Cook

Tony_Cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget the mags.
    I read a review of the 36 Philips P+ telly in What HiFi a couple of months ago and they were talking about wireless rear speakers.
    Well the 32 had those, but the 36ers are wired. Thats when I started wondering if they even get all (some of) the kit out of the box and how seriously they test it.
    I also wonder if they bother to try it with different sources.

My old Tosh 36ZD26P (now returned and refunded) had the usual dark bars which was rubbish for a brand new telly. Shame I didn't find this forum until after I had spotted the bars :( , still I'm off to the shop on Sat to get FS76 or NX200 ordered. I should have stuck to Sony as my old set is still going stong after 12 years

18. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rather odd that some people say that a magazine is biased just because it gives a product a negative review.

I'm usually rather relieved to see a negative review; most reviews usually give a good verdict. If you flip through the past review pages of Hifi Choice, almost all products are recommended - few get a negative review.

As for WH being biased against Sony: simply not true, they have recommended lots of Sony products (CDPs, DD sets, amps...) over the last few months.

19. gw1mcd

gw1mcd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I have owned a KV36FS76 since October 02 .I cannot believe that the "So called" Reviewer actually reviewed the same TV.I am totally delighted with it,who cares about the Audio ,its hooked up to a good 5.1 amp and Speaker system.My advice ,"BUY IT". Cheers,I,m off to watch a Super Duper TV.

20. drew

drew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 16 year old Sony KV-27XRU until last year when it finally gave up and died. Was streets, nah a motorway, ahead of anything I saw at the time, and looked the dogs what-its as well.

Went out shopping on auto pilot and bought another Sony but it went back. With hindsight, reckon part of it was getting used to 100 rather than 50 format but by no means all of it.

Ended up with a Loewe, panned by someone earlier up this thread. All I can say is that he hasn't lived with a Loewe.

21. jock2

jock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sr78 I think that you are missing the main point read the quote below

Either the reviewer is entirely wrong and should not be employed to review tvs as some people could read the review and not buy the SonyFS76 after reading his review or 99.9% of people who have bought the Sony FS76 are wrong

I will leave it to you to decide who is right

22. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Three words:

Pride of ownership

I guess I am one of the few people who have some degree of faith in reviews.

Which doesn't mean I take everything they say at face value. If a product that gets a negative review is interesting for me for some reason, I always try to have that review confirmed by having the product demoed. I find that the reviews usually are right.

23. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please note that this thread is for the purpose of praising the Sony KV36FS76 and slating all competition, it makes us feel better

We know about you people out there who prefer other TV's :clown: but we simply don't want to read it, there's just no point, we are all wearing blinkers!!! so stop spoiling the thread.

A few facts about What HiFi TELEVISION reviews:

There are 5 Sony reviews, 4 get 3/5 and 1 gets 4/5

8 Panasonic reviews, 3 get 5/5, 4 get 4/5 and 1 3/5.

8 Phillips reviews, 3 get 5/5, 4 get 4/5 and 1 3/5

7 Toshiba reviews, 5 get 5/5!!! and two get 4/5

These guys really love Sony TV's.....sure

24. MackemX

MackemX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the reviewer will make his decision based on how that individual TV performs and it may have been that that TV was poor, so he has given a truthful correct opinion

Reading through this forum and comparing other 36" TV's, I would dare say the ratio of happy to unhappy owners is probably one of the best and to me that means a lot more than one person judging the TV. (just look at the Philips)

I've also read other reviews about the TV which are great, so one bad review shouldn't really taint the image of the FS76 if you look at all the info that's available out there

If you judge a TV on one person's review then that's your right, but I reckon the more feedback you get gives you more info to make your decision

If a FS76 was demoed that is setup properly, you will see why most owners are happy with their sets cos they look tremendous

either I've been lucky not coming across a bad set, cos the 6 or 7 I've seen all had great picture quality & features compared to most others in the store

also although not a major neccessity, I must say the teletext on the FS76 is also top quality, as is the quality of the smaller TV picture when the text is on

I just hope mines as decent as the ones I have seen so far :D

25. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My conclusion on this mater is as follows.
    Looking through the threads on this forum there are people complaining in droves about problems/faults with toshibas(dark patches)panasonics/loewes(moire) and other various sets and faults but the majority of fs76 owners are very happy and praise the set highly and there seems to be no major reported problems .
    So who needs some short sighted narrow minded reviewer to tell them a tv is good or bad .
    READ ! the forums and threads and i think the answer is pretty obvious :eek:) the Sony FS76 is a very good tv with no major defects and a stonking picture.

26. cdave

cdave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am still very happy with mine maintain that if you go to a big Currys (just to look of course) and compare the set in the line up with other 36 inchers then the Sony looks the business, like a TV should in fact!

27. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had to jump in to agree with Bam.

I've stopped buying any of the mags they're totally biased and no longer a good source for making your mind up imo.

Advertising space has taken over as the reviewers priority imo, toshiba must pay well ;-)

I can't see how the reviewers can get in so wrong and miss off vital info about the issues with the toshiba screens the bright sides and black bars, no mention whatsoever!!!

Sony all the way ;-)

28. the plumber

the plumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bearing in mind that when the fs70 was reviewed back in april 2000 it got a stonking review in what video and hi fi,
    and the new fs76 is without a doubt an improvement on that set .
    The reviewer never mentions if he was using preset picture settings or whether he reset them himself(if he knew how to :eek:) ) also it will be interesting to see if the new nx200 recieves a better review as it is exactly the same tube and processing!!