1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMFG - Sharp LC26A4E cracked screen! I'm Crying! Help!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by CraigKORE, Jul 5, 2005.

1. CraigKORE

CraigKORE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my lovely Sharp LC26A4E for a few months now. About 20 mins ago the missus runs down stairs looking very shocked and saying I better come have a look at this.

It seems that something has hit against the screen, (must have been my 2 yr old!), and now when turning on it has loads of different coloured verticle lines going up and down, but you can still see a bit of the picture to the right hand side and a tiny bit on the bottom left.

I got this online for nearly 900 quid and just have the standard Sharp warranty. Someone PLEASE tell me that I can somehow get this repaired!?

Have done a quick google search and from a quick read it might be some kind of 'leak' that has happened from the impact? There is only two tiny wee marks on the screen where it has been hit by something.

I'm shaking right now typing this, gonna have a cuppa and try calm down.

Can someone please give me any advice on this? Working away from home so will be Friday night before I can check back here, aint gonna get any sleep tonight. :lease: :lease: :(

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Did something definitely hit against the screen?

Dare I say it but you could return it to wherever you bought it and just tell them it broke. And if your 2 year old did hit it - you might consider wall-mounting the replacement up nice and high out of reach.

3. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Might be worth wall mounting the nipper!. Only joking, good luck in finding a satisfactory solution.

4. CraigKORE

CraigKORE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Lyris. It has deffo been hit with something as you can feel 2 small holes that have pierced the screen, when the screen is turned on the colours make it look like a cracked window in that area with the kind of spider web pattern.

I really feel sick just now. :(

5. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always check to see if your home contents insurance will cover the damage.

Ben

6. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Exactly, see if you have accidental damage cover.

7. CraigKORE

CraigKORE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers folks - just checked my direct line contens insurance and eletrical goods are not covered. Really can not believe this.

8. igauk

igauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I admire your honesty, but if your contents insurance isn't going to cover it your best bet is to 'play dumb' with your retailer under the standard warranty. Just say it broke and you don't know why. If they then say its not a fault and has been damaged and will cost £xxx to repair you're in a no worse position than before.

9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Can't disagree with Igauk. I'll admit it's dirty, but it's what I would do too.

10. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Jeez, that's a bit harsh! Just cause the kid might have thrown something, you can't seriously recommend he replaces his kid with another....and then mount it high up the wall were it can do no mischief.
    Surely there has to be some law against that sort of parenting behaviour?! :rotfl:

11. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm.. you saying that electrical goods are not covered for accidental damage or your electrical goods are not covered at all??

Seems a bit harsh if they're not covered at all.. hold on a minute.. do you remember that tv advert with the old granny receiving a brand new hi fi from direct line? She was showing all the bells and whistles to another granny, and used the CD tray as a cup holder? What was that covering?

I think you're better off calling them up to double check mate, just to make sure..

Ben

12. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Accidental coverage is normally an addition to most home contents insurance. As to lying to the retailer, only you can live with that. :thumbsdow

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Do you guys think that retailers are that stupid ?

"Oh dear, I woke up one morning, and two holes had appeared in my screen, all by themselves"

Don't think so :rolleyes:

14. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You could be REALLY REALLY DIRTY.

Basically buy a new sharp online and swop over the serial number badges on the back of the set, make out it happened in transit and just play utterly dumb.
    I have done similar dirty tricks many times with friends when we miss chipped playstation 2's / xboxs, we used to be able to buy replacement warranty stickers for £1 from bowlers computer fair in manchester. We then used to head to argus / woolies and swop over the internal electrics from one ps2 case the other :)

At the end of the day sure it's dishonest, but the shop wont lose out as they will claim back from the retailer.
    Can't tell you how many thousands we saved :smashin:

15. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Electronics not insured? I think you weren't insured for damage done by your own child in your own house. Else it would be really strange, i'm insured for 10.000 for my electronics....and that's a cheap house insurance against theft/other damage. Anyway i would just call sharp i guess, and tell them what happened, they have a 3 year warranty right?? Oh, and make sure your child doesn't run around while somebody from sharp comes along ;)

16. sholao

sholao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give your insurers a call, electrical goods are different from electronic goods, and most content insurance should cover accidental damage to things like TV, Radio etc which are normal electronic goods which can be easily damaged accidental as opposed to electrical (white) goods Cookers, Fridges and Washing machines.

17. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I simply cannot believe that forum members are encouraging other forum members to commit was is in fact a criminal offence i.e. swapping serial numbers then trying to get an item replaced for free, telling retailer it just broke etc. I am surprised the moderators have not put a stop to this, and even more shocked by others blatant dishonesty.

18. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Faust,
    I have to agree, it may not be the shop/supplier that loses out, but ultimately someone, somewhere takes the fall....I don't post very often, but in this case I think it is completely wrong that people are encouraging fraud and deception.

The dvd piracy thread has a weeks ban for discussing illegal downloads/film piracy, this is just the same!

Contact your insurers, check your level of cover and if you're covered just be upfront and get it sorted! If not, well, unfortunately you've learnt a harsh lesson...I have two young kids and my lcd sets are both up well out of harms reach on the wall and insured.

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's called "obtaining products by deception". It is a criminal offence. It's now also an offence to "chip" products - new EU ruling started in Jan 2005. Someone just got a jail term for supplying chipped consoles & games.

20. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I think they got community service and a fine. Anyway, your point is fair enough. How much of the punishment had to do with the fact that the bloke was supplying the consoles with a load of games installed though? Would they have gone after him purely for selling chipped consoles?

21. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It's illegal to modify consoles for the legit purposes of playing imports? That's utterly disgraceful. I buy all of my consoles from the US anyway because it's better value and the games are released on time. So if I can't get ahold of a chipped one that will accept the odd bargain game I pick up from a store shelf here, then it looks like I won't be giving any of my money to the European games companies. Nice move, EU.

Anyway... that was very off topic.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If it was bought on credit card there me an automatic cover of al goods for 60 days etc worth a phonecall to check hope you get it sorted

23. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Frankly, the whole idea of playing dumb with the retailer has its pro's and con's. I mean come on guys, if this was your set broken and you had no insurance from the place of purchase and your home insurance didnt cover it, too right I'd go back and blag a replacement....and "sometimes" it works. On the other hand, I have seen it before with a mobile phone, a friend dropped it and it was completely busted, he attempted to get a replacement from the shop but they may as well laughed in his face, it was blatently obvious it had been dropped and the same goes for a telly. If a fault occurs with electrical equipment, 80% of the time it just dosent work or in extreme cases, it catches fire. But physical damage to the product can only amount to one thing - human misuse / accidental.

Not that I'm trying to scare you but the actual screens on LCD's cannot be repaired very easily -if not at all - since the screen has taken the damage, no doubt the thousands of transistors (are they transistors?) behind the screen are damaged. 9 times out of 10, if a screen has been damaged a replacement screen is required and that means mega-bucks!

At the end of the day, I would in no way be comforable kissing goodbye to hundreds - if not thousands - of pounds worth of LCD / Plasma without trying my hardest to get a replacment regardless of moral / honesty issues.

Good luck solving the situation :)

M.

24. CraigKORE

CraigKORE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys and advice people - much appreciated.

I will be giving Direct Line a call tomorrow to check what the situation is with them. If they offer me no help then I will be calling a local place that does repairs on LCD's to try and get some estimate of the damage and whether it is worth repairing.

Depending on the outcome of that I might have to go to plan C and thanks very much to the person that contacted me via PM about it. Might be light at the end of my tunnel yet! :thumbsup:

25. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You guys are too honest for me..:p. You could always get accidental cover added to your insurance, wait a few months then claim. Now that's dishonest. I've never done anything like that myself (I tend to put loses down to bad experiences as I can't be bothered with all the hassle).

Also I'm sure it's illegal on some level. Not recommended just stating because it wasn't mentioned already.

26. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I am with Direct Line. Can you please confirm that you are not covered because you do not have the optional accidental cover or are you saying that electrical goods are not covered by Direct Line even with the accidental damage cover?

Thanks

Ian