Omega Speedmaster Advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by swall101, Dec 27, 2017.

1. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi all

I know there are a few watch enthusiasts on here so would like to pick your brains in regards to Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch model...

I’m just about to pull the trigger on my first ‘proper’ watch and I think I’ve decided on the above. Can anyone offer any experience/advice on these 2 models please. One is automatic and one is manual and as such price difference is relatively substantial.

Professional Chronograph 42 mm

Omega Co-Axial Chronograph 44.25 mm

Also in wrist terms would the 2mm case difference be noticeable?

Any recommendations of good places to buy?

If I went for the cheaper of the two would I always be wondering what if or would the saving be better put towards a Sony A1 that I’m hoping to buy in next couple of months:cool:

Thanks in advance....

2. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Get the 42mm. The the automatic one isn’t a Moonwatch and won’t hold its value as well. I love the sapphire sandwich model (sapphire on both front and back) but a lot of people prefer the original hesalite crystal front and steel back as that’s what the astronauts wore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    With the hesalite crystal would I need to worry about scratching? It would be an additional saving over the sapphire (not that I’m looking to trim back costs between the 42mm models)?

4. smokedog

smokedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    The manual wind hesalite version is the only way to go, if you care about resale value. A friend and I purchased Speedmasters around the same time. I went with the manual wind, cost me £2400 2 years ago (grey import) and sold it a few months ago for £2300. My friend got the Moonwatch Automatic with date, costing him almost £5k, he had it valued at Watchfinder recently for £2300.

Yes it does scratch, but get some Polywatch and it will polish out in no time. Plus hesalite doesn't cost much to replace. I had some scratches on my mine but I just left it.

5. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I have been looking for the best deal on the Moonwatch for a while and found it at chronext for about £2600. A big saving over rrp but I have no experience of the retailer so I would do some homework on them before ordering.

6. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,255
    The saving would buy you a LOT of polywatch to remove any scratches picked up on the hesalite crystal. IMO the Moonwatch is the Speedy to buy.

7. smokedog

smokedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    I've purchased from Chronext before, they're legit. They've small store in London Piccadilly which got rammed raid twice this year. All their watches are grey imports and there can be a lead time of a few weeks. I had to wait over a month to get my watch.

8. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Mind made up then! Hesalite with manual it is with a nice saving to boot. I’ve booked an appointment with AD tomorrow to view. Just hope my head does not get turned walking into showroom....

@Sandman thanks for the info... I think for my first proper watch purchase I’ll go new from AD. I know it will be more money but I will feel more comfortable knowing all above board. I will try haggling though for best price!

This will buy me time to verse myself with the ins and outs of watches (it is inevitable as I have addictive nature when I get into something:cool:) ready for next move in errrrrr sub 6 months!!! Hopefully by then I’ll be in a better position to start wheeler dealing..

9. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    What if you don’t mind me asking is a grey import? Do you still get all warranty etc with these and when reselling can anyone tell it is?

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44,778
    Grey Imports are genuine products souced from outside the official channels from abroad. Depending on the product, the serial number or other features may "give them away". Generally, the warranty may only be aplicable in the region from which they were purchased/intended for.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Fantastic. Good choice, you wont regret it, it is a great watch. Report back on how you get on please.

12. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Will do... thanks for your advice it is much appreciated.

13. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    So went to an Omega boutique today after the chap told me the model I wanted (black alligator strap)was in stock. When I arrived for my appointment he told me he had just sold it 10 mins before!!

So I tried the watch with a metal bracelet to get feel for size and it was everything everyone had described and more.. no doubt that this is the watch for me albeit I want the leather strap.

Chap said he could get my model in no problem and I asked him if there was any movement on price. He explained that it is not something they would do in regards to discount eg. 10, 20% etc but could offer a token £200 off.

So I left my details with him but also explained that I would keep looking elsewhere to see if I could get a better deal as I really want this watch.

I’m guessing that’s the stock response from a boutique and maybe stand a better chance with an AD? Has anyone experience of any particular outlets that would be better for %negotiation? I’m guessing maybe better chance with independents?

14. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,255
    I’ve received around 10% off Omega’s at AD’s but I know others have received more

15. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Any in particular? Appreciate you may not want to name on open forum but would be happy for PM if ok....

16. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,255
    Mine have all been purchased from Goldsmiths, may be better with independent AD’s

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    You may find buying it on the metal is the better option, changing over to a leather yourself is pretty easy and the bracelet may well be more attractive for future buyers.

Also if you decide to get the bracelet later its usually more expensive than buying it with the watch initially.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  18. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    You know there is one for sale on the classifieds ? If I was in the market I'd have had it.

19. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The chap in the store did say that it works out cheaper that way if you wanted both straps... about £150 difference apparently.

20. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yeah seen it... I know it sounds silly but as it’s my first proper watch purchase I just like the idea of it being brand new. Thinking with heart rather than head I guess!!

21. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
  22. russelkhan

russelkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Was the Watchfinder valuation a proper valuation - that is, what the watch is worth on the market, or was it what they were willing to pay for it? I ask because I recently traded in an old Omega De Ville and they gave me a trade-in credit of £425. A month later that watch was listed on their website at £880.

23. smokedog

smokedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    Iconic Watches is where I got my Speedmaster. But it will be a grey import. The most discount you'll get from an AD is around 10%.

I should of been more specific, it was how much WF would buy the watch for. Its normal for WF to mark up the resell significantly. I personally find WF to be generally over priced. I sold my Planet Ocean to them a while back for £1600, they resold it for £2500. Realistic I couldn't of sold it privately for anywhere near £2500, maybe around £1800 if I was lucky.

24. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The person I’ve been speaking to was very helpful and they have the watch in stock.

Chronext going by the reviews don’t seem to have a lot of watches in stock but will source upon order. This seems to have led to delays of weeks in some instances for a lot of people according to reviews.

I’m just waiting on iconic to come back to me to see if they can shave a little more off the price as the warranty is registered in Sep 17 so will lose 4 months.

With it being grey import, unless I’ve got it wrong, is the same as if I went to whatever country on holiday and bought it myself. In this case they have done it for me and with the warranty being international I’m guessing it has zero impact to me except a lot cheaper than getting from AD in the UK?

I’ll update thread when I hear back from them.

25. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Just out of interest whilst waiting for email responses to my enquiries is there any mileage in airport duty free in particular Heathrow, Singapore, Bangkok and Perth or in the cities themselves?

26. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    Can you let me know the price iconic have quoted you please? You can pm me if you don’t want it made public.
    I actually just bought a speedmaster reduced (39mm automatic) for a wear to work watch.

27. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Personally have bought the Mrs' "proper watches" from Heathrow when on European flights so no issues with VAT evasion - you get "VAT free price" but VAT has actually been paid. If you buy outside of the EU then you'll have exceeded your tax free limit and should declare the watch on return and pay the appropriate taxes.

Goldsmiths (and its sister companies like Watches of Switzerland) have offered staff discounts to a number of my different prior employers/clients (eg RBS, Aviva) and so may be worth seeing if any friends/families that work for large corporations can get anything for you? Certainly last time I checked it was a variable discount on watches (20% of jewelry) and they offered 15% off of a JLC but as I was flying from Heathrow shortly anyway I waited the ~17% for VAT free.

I have toyed with the idea of a speedmaster for myself and found an AD in Amsterdam that gave forum members of another site a notable discount that brought them below Iconic Watches' prices but with the collapse of the GBP I am not sure if that'd still be the case if Omega havent updated pricing based on currency movements.