Omar speakers

R

redcupra

Hi everyone

has anyone heard of speakers made by a company called omar?

Many Thanks

Paul

Yes!

I have owned both their models "Winchester" and "Goring S" and they were very good.

I also remember attending a small hi-fi gathering at the old Post House hotel in Southampton about 15 years ago which was organised by Yamaha and they were using Omar speakers - i think the range i heard went 820; 840; 860; 880. They were also superb.

Don't know anything else about the company or if they still exist, though.

i have been on google all day trying to find out if they had a web site. but there is absolutley nothing on them

Wonder where i can get some?

Paul

Hello there anyone, :hiya:

I know this thread is ancient but I was just curios about the pair of floor standing Omar CR501's I have owned for several years, I was fortunately given them by someone who was totally updating all their equipment, as they knew I was well into my retro audio, already having a pair of Mission 700's and 707's a pair of B&O Beovox CX50's a pair of Dynatron LS1428's a Trio & a Realistic amp and several other speakers and bits of equipment. :D

YES I LIKE OLD EQUIPMENT :), it runs and runs and if it breaks you only have capacators, resistors and basic transistors, valves if your lucky :), rather than annoying IC's that are only made for one model and were discontinued 2 days after the last unit was made, also above all it was designed and built to last rather than having an expected lifespan and estimated mean time to faliure, as do most products now :( :eek: :thumbsdow

Anyway, ive not seen anything about this brand anywhere except for this and another post. :rolleyes:

I know theyre old, probably around 70's in construction, tho ive not had them open to see if there is any stamps or stickers on the cones or anything inside that may give a full spec or date to them, they are running nicely and as the addage goes 'if it aint broke dont fix it' and ill add 'or mess about with it' :D

On the back of each there is a simple but informative label that says:

Omar Speakers CR501
Impedance Nom 8 Ohms
Power Handling 50watt RMS
Average Frequency Response
+/-2.5db 35Hz-22KHz
Frequency Response
500Hz & 4.5KHz
Assembled In Great Britan
+ -

The presumed date & final line denoting that they will be a quality build :smashin:

They are floor standing on quality castors 32" high x 14 1/2" wide x 11 1/2" deep and have black textured vinyl stuck on the front and back with a teak/mid brown top, bottom & sides.

The speakers fitted are:

2 x 8" 8?Ohm Bass Drivers (cardboard dome & cone with a highly flexable bitmus rubber surround like that of pond liner so really strong and non perishing)

1 x 4" 4Ohm Mid Driver with what might be a second coil as the dome (cardboard dome & cone with a conventional perishable surround, not the newer foamy type, that still seems to be holding up)

1 x 1" ?Ohm Tweeter which has a large rectangular plate abt 4 1/2" x 3" the dome sits in the middle with the wires for the coil coming in at 45degrees either side (kinda sunk into the metal plate, bit like arms on a smiley :clap: feels like fabric of some sort possibly linnen, cotton or hemp)

They have no reflex, sound absolutely awesome, as I hardly ever feel the need to activate my seperate sub and run well above the RMS rating as my amp is 100watt per channel and I have run them up to -12.5db where 0db is full power without any problems and am sure they would go all the way. :thumbsup:

If I ever remove the speakers and get round to posting some pics I will update these infos for anyone who visits, also if anyone has any for sale then by all means email me or message through here, hope this is of use, please let me know if it is, Gav aka BFG aka Mani T Breaks :thumbsup:

={[o_O]}=

If you wish to find me and my stuff please visit:
http://www.youtube.com/gavdoff
http://www.myspace.com/dfunkyjunky
http://www.myspace.com/bigfriendlygav

'Do as little as possible,' :boring:
'As often as posible,' :devil:
'But not all the time!' :nono:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom