1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olypus C-730?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by jw791, May 7, 2003.

1. jw791

jw791

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - new here.

I'm looking to get a new digital camera. I have a Kodak DC-280 Zoom, but the 2x is not enough, since I like to take pix of sporting events and animals and wildlife.

Any opinions on the olympus c-730? That appears to be the most zoom out there.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    If taking pics of fast moving objects then you will also want a high pixel camera so you can then crop the pictures on a PC later. Zooming in tight may often result in missing the shot.
    The c-730 does look a good camera, but it might be worth taking a look at (amoung others) the Minolta Dimage 7i or 7Hi. These are a lot more money but are 5mp with 7x optical zoom and have full manual override on all settings similar to an SLR.
    As I have said the zoom is not everything! If the quality of the image is good enough then there is a lot of scope when editing on a PC.

Mark.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Would whole heartedly agree with that and second the recomendation of the Minolta. My cousin uses the 7i for his journalism and the pictures are spot on

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The C730 was reviewed in the January edition of What Digital Camera. Their verdict was:

"In many ways an ideal camera for the enthusiast. The lens is impressive, the camera is versatile and it feels like a decent bit of kit. Pity the image quality lets it down."

Their main criticism was purple colour fringing which you can't do much about unless you want to spend hours cleaning them up in photoshop.

It might be worth looking at the 4mp version the C750 which is available at £399. However, I'd wait to see a review of it before buying to check it doesn't also suffer from fringing.

Other alternatives not mentioned would be the Fuji S304 (3MP - 38-228 equivalent zoom) or, even better, the Fuji S602. If you can get away with just a 4x zoom lens then also look at the new Minolta S414.

Matt.

5. jw791

jw791

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm - dissapointing, but thanks for the info. I could probably live with 4x, I'll go check out that Minolta - thanks!