Olympus presents its digital PEN today !

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by f6cvalkyrie, Jun 16, 2009.

1. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
  3. Wivelrod

Wivelrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Been looking for a rangefinder like digital compact camera that doesn't have a built in lens for a while - that doesn't cost as much as the Leica M8 that is!

Could this be a candidate?

:confused:

4. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  5. Wivelrod

Wivelrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Seen 899 for the silver with 2 lenses. Wait a while and shop around and will be much lower I hope :)

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,190
    This sounds very interesting. Can't wait to see some reviews of this :thumbsup:

7. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
  8. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I think the market is what is currently held by the LX3 and DP1|2, which basically are trying to follow the Leica M8 style camera.
    A whole load of people have moved to a dSLR over the last few years, are now wanting a compact with the quality and control of their dSLR. At the moment there are very few compacts that come close to the quality of a dSLR, and less so with the flexability.
    This camera does sound very expensive for what is basically a compact, but sounds pretty reasonably prices compared to £3.5k for the M8 body.

I can't wait to get one, just have to hold off a little while until the price drops a little. Finally a decent flexiable compact with IQ close to a dSLR.

My wife will love me getting one, if it means that I won't lug my dSLR+lenses on holiday!

9. existent

existent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    I honestly don't see the point for this type of cameras.

Its cheaper to go for an entry level DSLR these days, and you have more freedom with your lens choices if you want to experiment with different lenses (rather than being limited with 2-3 lens in this case).

If we consider the size, it's still not pocketable with a larger lens, and if you are going to carry multiple lenses with you then there is almost no difference to a DSLR.

Until prices go down to the point of P&S prices (£200 - £300), I'd rather pay for a bridge camera if I wanted something more sophisticated than a p&s but simpler than a DSLR.

That's just my 2c. I'm sure there are tons of people who are interested in this though :D

10. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I would agree that these will not be for all. I'm sure most people look at the size of the G9 | G10 and wonder what is the point of that brick compared to a stylish slimline compact :)

The problem with a bridge is that you still get a small sensor as well as a lens that cannot be changed.
    As well as poor IQ, a small sensor also limits the creative DOF control that you get with a fast lens on a dSLR. The LX3 does a great job with it's f2 lens, but as the sensor is small the DOF is still pretty wide at the largest aperture.

I would agree with you about a dSLR is a cheaper and better choice as a main camera, but the PEN is to compliment a dSLR rather than a replacement. My dSLR + standard lens is now close to 2Kg, but I carry the dSLR all the time because I don't want to compromise on IQ & control with a P&S or bridge. Since going FF the body+lens is now so heavy that I can't use my lightweight tripod anymore, which makes traveling a real pain with the family, as my wife would rather I left my dSLR behind and I carried stuff for the family holiday, rather being a pack horse for my camera gear.
    I was so close to getting an LX3 before I went away, but couldn't get hold of one for love or money.

Obviously there will be some compromise with the PEN, but not as much as a P&S or Bridge. I'd not really be that interested in 1000s lenses, a fast standard prime (the pancake) and the standard kit (14-45) will be all I'd want really. When traveling I could even pack my mini tripod + grads when and attempt a few landscapes. Not something you can really do with a P&S.

Wonderful piece of kit IMO, but the price tag is going to be very had to swallow.

11. existent

existent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    I guess things get heavy when you move on to FF SLRs, but then again, the difference in image quality will be greater as well.

But can everyone invest £600 to £1000 on a second camera?

12. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    This is tiny compared to a DSLR, though at the large end of compacts. Looking at comparison pictures with the very small Oly E420, the E420 dwarves it. I will look seriously at this as I know which I would rather lug around while travelling. Bags etc plus a DSLR setup becomes a real chore while hiking in the Alps for example.

I know the ultimate quality lies with the DSLR but the Pen E-P1 should acquit itself very well and take up relatively little space. it's also a lot less obtrusive or 'Professional', so will probably draw less attention from those who want to upset your photographic experience.

13. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    People seem to be talking more about the form factor and style.

In my opinion, looking at the samples, the images just don't cut the mustard.

14. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    The sample images I've seen look pretty good to me (DPR)

Do you have some examples that you think are not upto scratch?
    And I guess, compared too??? dSLR [FF, APS-C, 4/3] , Compact?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  15. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    I like the look of this also.

It is a shame that it has no flash and I would like a viewfinder, but I may still get one. With the pancake lenses this could be a great little camera.

16. Wivelrod

Wivelrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    For me, if it has the IQ this is, it would be a perfect compliment to my DSLR. If I'm wondering about with my 100-400 on my 5D2 and want to get a wide angle shot, it's a pain to switch to another lens. I could hang my 40D around my neck too, but that 100-400 is already heavy enough thank you, so a lightwieght compact with a choose of lenses to fit would suit me far more.

Also, I don't like to take the DSLR everywhere I go. It's too cumbersome, and for some types of photography (such as street photography), its too prominant. Last time I went to London, I left my DSLR at home. I'd happily take the PEN to places that I would feel uncomfortable taking the DSLR!

The question for me will be wether the IQ lives up to the "near DSLR quality" hype or not. So awaiting in depth reviews here, and the prices to drop a little :p

17. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Yep, a small flash would have been really useful and easy to implement. I wonder why they didn't include one? :confused:

I guess an EVF would have made the camera larger (more like the size of a G1 or Bridge), and an internal (i.e. optical, but NOT through the lens) would be hard to implement due to not knowing what lens (and hence focal length) was attached.

And I assume the viewfinder that attaches to the top of the camera is just for the fixed focal length pancake lens.

I can see why it costs so much as it's basically an E-620 squeezed into a compact, but 'Keiron' is right that it is hard to justify spending £850 on what is a compact. Mind you, if you think of it as a rangefinder alternative the price looks pretty aggressive.

BTW, does anyone know what is (practically) possible from a lens point of view with regards to fast primes on micro four thirds? I mean, is a f1.4 fast prime possible in say lengths of 25mm, 40mm etc? I guess the other point is, could you really nail the focus with a compact with 'contrast detection AF' at f1.4.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  18. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Fast primes are absolutely no problem on µ4/3 cameras. There's plenty of adaptors, and you get (e.g.) super fast 50mm lenses as of 0.9 AFAIK
    Personally, I use my G1 (also µ4/3) with the Nikon 50/1.4 without any problem.

If you want to see sample images from the G1 with such converted lenses, please take a look here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/photo-sharing/913765-panasonic-g1-gallery-come-have-look.html

C U,
    rafael

19. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Olympus Pen E-P1 hands-on
    Cool Stuff : Olympus Pen E-P1 hands-on

Some photos on Flickr: Flickr: Horganator's Photostream

So, is the Pen as razor sharp as Berlin's architecture? Take a look at the hi-res originals and see for yourself, but I'd say it's a pretty good match, at least when you're shooting at low ISO. Watch out for a full test on Stuff.tv very soon.

20. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,579
    No, I appreciate quality but I am too irreverent right about now and don't want to be carrying anything more than the clothes on my back

I am very, very interested in the Olympus. I thought the press shots of the proto-type looked nicer though
    Of course I will be awaiting full on reviews and impressions to come. Did not look at the G10 as it was not worth it for me

21. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    I would of thought that an EVF viewfinder that clips onto the camera is possible and a small built in flash should of been possible as you said.

I will wait for some more tests and reviews but it is very nearly what I want.

22. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    A small built in flash still takes up quite a bit of volume. It's not just the flash module containing the reflector and flash bulb. There is often a separate circuit board as these things run at hundreds of volts and isolation is good practice. Most of all, the energy for the flash is stored in capacitors which take up quite a bit of space.

Look at the add on flash for the E-P1 and judge from it's volume. Consider that they are said to have shoe horned most of an E620 into the E-P1's body and therefore internal space is probably almost non existant. That's probably why there is no internal flash.

23. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,579