• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Olympus OM‑D E‑M10 Mark II tips!!!

baz178

Standard Member
Hey,

Bought the Olympus OM‑D E‑M10 Mark II 16.1 MP Digital twin yesterday and was just after some tips on using it too it's full advantage for my holiday next week!!

If anybody could give me some advice that would be great

Many thanks Dan

rancidpunk

In Memoriam
What sort of advice are you after?

Kit lenses are good, but may want a faster prime for your hols. Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 is a steal, or the 20mm is a bit wider but more costly. I use the 25mm on mine more often than the kit lenses, it's phenomenonally good value.

Make the SCP your friend, most common settings can be quickly adjusted there. For anything it can't do, assign one of the function buttons instead.

Get out often, take lots of pictures and enjoy it. It's a cracking little camera.

baz178

Standard Member
What sort of advice are you after?

Kit lenses are good, but may want a faster prime for your hols. Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 is a steal, or the 20mm is a bit wider but more costly. I use the 25mm on mine more often than the kit lenses, it's phenomenonally good value.

Make the SCP your friend, most common settings can be quickly adjusted there. For anything it can't do, assign one of the function buttons instead.

Get out often, take lots of pictures and enjoy it. It's a cracking little camera.

What's scp ?

baz178

Standard Member
Super Control Panel, sounds like a super villains catch phrase, "launch the super control panel and let's destroy the earth" here

It was really what settings are the best too use for everyday photo secenery while on holiday !! There's a lot of setting at the top on that dail haha

shotokan101

Banned
Then just use Auto or Program modes till you are more familiar with the camera - or select an appropriate shooting mode from the Scenes shooting options ?

Unfortunately only time-practice and experience will really answer that question ;)

rancidpunk

In Memoriam
Indeed. There are some useful guides stickied above this thread which touch upon the basics. Worth looking into those and learning over time, whilst using the auto modes as Jim said above.
There's a long, but immensely fun, learning curve with photography.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
How much do you understand about exposure and the relationship between ISO, Shutter and Aperture?

For your average holiday snaps, scenario, buildings etc you want a large depth of field. For this I use aperture priority and auto ISO, and set aperture at f5.6. F5.6 on m4/3 cameras gives plenty of DOF. Set white balance to Auto for most things. I tend to use a single small autofocus point, focussing at the Hyperfocal distance for landscape type shots.

What are the lenses you got bundled, the 14-42mm ez and 40-150mm R?

shotokan101

Banned
Sop talking "Tog Babble" to a Newbie Snerks - he's going on holiday next week - auto or P will be fine for 90%+ of the situations to get an acceptable Holiday Snap.... he can get "properly educated" when he's back :D:rolleyes:

Last edited:

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Sop talking "Tog Babble" to a Newbie Snerks - he's going on holiday next week - auto or P will be fine for 90%+ of the situations to get an acceptable Holiday Snap.... he can get "properly educated" when he's back :D:rolleyes
No mention he's a newbie, just new to Olly :p

muljao

Not sure if it's relevant to the em10 mkii, but when I bought olly m4/3rds previously, there is a wb setting that is defaulted to warm, and it makes all the photos a little orange (it's like a default setting that adds something to the wb at any setting). Just make sure that's turned off

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom