Olympus E-PL5 vs. FujiFilm X-M1 side by side

AMc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the Olympus for almost a year. I'm happy with it and had no plans on replacing it.
But then I got an email telling me I'd won a prize draw and was going to be sent a Fuji X-M1 kit
:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

I spent a stupid amount of time reading up on the X-M1 making a decision about which I would keep, bearing in mind the Olympus was my 40th present so has much sentimental attachment.
The Fuji arrived, even though in my heart I'd already decided I would stick with my Olympus I couldn't stop myself from breaking the seal and having a look at the Fuji to see if I was missing something.

The Fuji is a bit bigger all over, in the flesh it feels noticeably so. Having thumb dials is nice but I don't find the camera quite as easy to grip. That may be just because I'm used to the Olympus.

I tried taking "the same" shots on both cameras and then comparing the output.
I used Program mode and tried to create the same shot bearing in mind the differences in sensor ration and focal lengths.
I deliberately haven't tried to replicate the settings exactly, I was trying to see which one suits me rather than which one has the best ISO/DoF/sharpness etc. if you want a tech spec fight then there are many review sites out there ;)
I also didn't think it was fair to fiddle too much given I know the E-PL5 so much better hence the P mode.
The absence of a touch screen for setting focus point on the Fuji turned out to be a big deal to me having got used to it on the Olympus. Turns out I use it more than I realise.
The X-M1 also refused to focus on flowers and I had to pull back quite a way compared with the E-PL5 to get a lock.

The shots are all JPG straight out of the camera but then resized for Flickr and probably resized for display here too - as I said this isn't a technical comparison for me.

I thought you might be interested in the results - there are a few more on Flickr.

1a - Fuji

1b Olympus

2a Fuji

2b Olympus

3a Fuji

3b Olympus

4a Fuji

4b Olympus

5a Fuji

5b Olympus

Nice little comparison, thanks. The Fuji definitely looks sharper to me, but I think I prefer the colours of the Olly, especially the bear/monkey. Obviously this could be fixed in PP. Shame there's no viewfinder on the Fuji or I might have made you an offer :devil: ;)

Last edited:
Interesting. Which do you think look sharper?

I like some from both cameras more than the other similar shot.

If you look on the info on Flickr you can (geekily) see the cameras chose different ISO and shutter speeds in basically the same situations with the Fuji taking a higher ISO each time.

I did have a play with the Fuji film simulation modes which are very nice indeed. Nothing you couldn't do in raw pp but if you shoot jpg (as often I do) a good feature. I would expect Fuji to have the settings bang on too ;)

I also like the APS C format over the slightly squarer m43.

I've just had a trade in quote for the camera that made me laugh out loud. It came direct from Fuji this week and I was offered 1/3rd of retail so if I don't keep it or give it as a gift it may well end up in the classifieds here. Pity as I had hoped to trade it against a nice lens for the e-pl5.

all nice shots - bit pointless trying to compare IQ IMO unless you use full manual and force the same settings - oh and then you'd also need a lens adapter so you could use the same glass on both ;)

...but that's just my inner-geek talking - it's still fun to see and do :)

That was kind of my point - I wasn't really trying to compare their technical performance at that level, more how they worked as cameras, for me, how I normally shoot.
Obviously having one for an hour and the other for a year means the handling differences were substantial so I was trying to exclude my familiarity from the equation.

The inner geek and the comments here did make me take a second look at 100% which showed that the Fuji is fractionally sharper - but then it was using a faster ISO so was it camera shake?
So I photographed the gorilla again using identical settings - as far as I could not knowing the Fuji interface well - using 2 second self timer and a tripod.

In both cases I didn't quite get identical ISO and shutter speeds on any of the test shots.
Forcing the Olympus to use the same settings the Fuji chose resulted in over exposure.
Trying to force the Fuji to use the Olympus choice of settings resulted in under exposure.
I would have expected that because the Fuji has a larger sensor and lens it would have been the other way around.
I guess that shows that comparing tech specs isn't quite the same as comparing in real life.

The Fuji shots look sharper and the JPG files are smaller which again isn't what I expected.
It could be that the Fuji makes better JPGs. But then to test that I'd have to shoot RAW in both and (heresy ;)) as I don't usually do that what's the point?

At this point I decided I was disappearing up my own...

The Fuji takes a very, very nice picture but it's larger and feels heavier.
I've spent a lot of time and money on Olympus and re-equipping with Fuji lenses would be expensive.
Both take very nice pictures without much effort.

I suspect that a lot of the difference is the kit lenses so I probably should look at better lenses for the E-PL5.

Part of me wants to hold on to the Fuji partly based on the pathetic trade in valuation I got but honestly is that sensible, probably not? I guess I'll have to mull it over for a bit longer.

Tbh, the Fuji 16-50 isnt great, the great lenses are the XF lenses. XC not so much, pretty much average so youre not making an 'unfair' comparison based on lenses.

Nobody said "unfair" ;)

The inner geek and the comments here did make me take a second look at 100% which showed that the Fuji is fractionally sharper - but then it was using a faster ISO so was it camera shake?

Surely shutter speed may give you a clue :devil: ;)

If you google the lenses separately you get the Fuji at £340 at Park cameras (down from £399) and the Olympus at £239 (down from £279). I'd hope that £100 went somewhere.
Surely shutter speed may give you a clue :devil: ;)
A clue yes, an answer no - hence retesting with a tripod and delayed release.

Incorrect. Everyone knows the 16-50 rrp is a huge rip off. They go for 100 quid new because people split them from kits. It's fujis cheap kit lens and is in a similar league to other standard kit lenses.

I was quoting ;) :p

Incorrect. Everyone knows the 16-50 rrp is a huge rip off. They go for 100 quid new because people split them from kits. It's fujis cheap kit lens and is in a similar league to other standard kit lenses.
I have the Fuji X-A1 and love it, the kit lens is probably one of the best kit lens I've ever owned ! Though only comparing to canon and lumix. Its sharp even in corners, and the feel of the lens, zoom etc.. Is smooth and solid, focus is also very quiet ! :), its also made from a high grade plastic, far better than the lumix m3/4 kit Len which felt like a toy lens !

I have the Fuji X-A1 and love it, the kit lens is probably one of the best kit lens I've ever owned ! Though only comparing to canon and lumix. Its sharp even in corners, and the feel of the lens, zoom etc.. Is smooth and solid, focus is also very quiet ! :), its also made from a high grade plastic, far better than the lumix m3/4 kit Len which felt like a toy lens !

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad youre enjoying it. Its still not worth RRP imo.

I agree I wouldn't pay full rrp for it though ! :)

The X-M1 I won is about to go on holiday with its proud new owners ;) I sold it to some old friends for what WEX offered in trade in. They were very pleased with it and I was genuinely chuffed to see it go somewhere it would be appreciated.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Amazon show the original retail at £679.99 Wex at £599.99
At £277 it would be a bargain but as twist says it's out of stock and will perhaps remain that way?
At £429 with £100 in Amazon credit I'd say it was brilliant value

Wex also have it at £429 and they are promoting a free XC50-230mm lens
FUJIFILM X-E1, X-M1 and X-A1 - Claim a FREE zoom lens!
Oddly don't appear on the list of approved retailers from their own link but there are plenty of others who do, I would check before you buy if that's important to you.

If you could get the Amazon price and the lens then I would say it was an absolute steal.

Amazon show the original retail at £679.99 Wex at £599.99
At £277 it would be a bargain but as twist says it's out of stock and will perhaps remain that way?
At £429 with £100 in Amazon credit I'd say it was brilliant value

Wex also have it at £429 and they are promoting a free XC50-230mm lens
FUJIFILM X-E1, X-M1 and X-A1 - Claim a FREE zoom lens!
Oddly don't appear on the list of approved retailers from their own link but there are plenty of others who do, I would check before you buy if that's important to you.

If you could get the Amazon price and the lens then I would say it was an absolute steal.

I wasn't sure if it was clear in your post, but you do get the free 50-230 lens if you buy it from Amazon, as well as their £100 credit.

Q: Does the Free lense offer from Fuji apply to this product ?
A: Yes, but only if you buy it from "Amazon.co.UK" themselves. It won't apply if you buy it from a third party sellers that trade on amazon

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom