1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus D395g

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by preston, Apr 18, 2005.

1. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed to get the Mother In Law a digital camera for her birthday. She will only ever point and shoot and therefore doesn't require anything too flashy. I think AA bateries are a must as she would find charging the camera a bit of a chore.

Given this, I found the OLYMPUS D395G advertised on Dixons for £50.
    http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...ory_oid=-22104&fm=0&sm=undefined&tm=undefined

Spec includes 3.2 million pixels, LCD Screen, XD Memory (16Mb included), Weight 170 g and 2 X AA.

I've not done any price matching yet or looked at anything else.

Anyone got any comments on this or another similar camera?

Before you ask - I think she expects to use my PC, printer, paper and ink - FOC! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

2. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    £50 does seem like a good price for a digital camera but worth noting that this one doesnt have an optical zoom (a digital zoom is just the same as zooming in on a picture on your computer and enlarging what data is there). I know you said your Mother in Law wouldnt charge batteries but using AA bateries (non-regargable) will cost her a fortune. A brand new set of AA's will probably only last one days use.
    Also the camera only has 16MB of memory which will hold about 12 photos at high quality so facter in the cost of a memery card (128MB should do the trick).

3. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
  4. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hear you Sandman.

I have zoom on my camera but to be honest I rarely use it. Most are portraits of the kids. Rarely take it off the 'Auto' setting.

As for the batteries I expect she'll take a couple of pictures a week in total so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll need to get extra memory though.

5. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    Well in that case you cant go wrong with an olympus, my gf has one and it is very easy to use.

6. kiebler

kiebler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    olympus 370 or fuji a330 both at £99. both 3m pixels with 3x optical zoom. or for £159 you can get olympus c480, 4m pixels, 3x optical with 64mb card and bag. all are really easy to use

7. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Given that it's my money and I'm not sure the MIL will gain anything from an optical zoom, I fancy the D395G at £50. Unfortunately Dixons are reporting it as "Temporarily Out of Stock".

Can't find it anywhere else apart from Currys where it is also unavailable - perhaps it's exclusive to the Dixons group?

I'll sit tight for a week and keep checking. Definately a bargain so long as you don't want to do anything to serious!

8. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update...
    Dixons is still reporting this as temporarily out of stock. Also reports "Fully refurbished with 12 month warranty". Didn't notice that last time I looked and something to think about if anyone else is waiting for it to come available.

Anyway...
    Had to buy an alternative with the birthday only a week away. Settled for a Cannon A400 in the end. Twice the price and packed with features she'll never use. Hmmm.