1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus C5050z, C5060z or Canon G5?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Jackass, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Looking at one of these for my hols and long term use.
    The 5050z looks good with its F1.8 lens for low light use but the new 5060z has wide zoom lens and has 4x zoom v 3 x zoom.
    Another feature i'm looking for is the focus assist lamps for low light use.
    What has the Canon got going for it, decisions, decisions!!

Help!!

2. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't decide for you but I can put in a vote for the 5050. I've had mine for 6 months now and am even more pleased with it now than I was when I first got it.
    Everyone that has seen the pictures it can produce has been impresssed with them. The 1.8 lens gets decent shots where friends digicams give up.
    I subscribe to a 5050 users group and being 5050 owners they naturally point out the shortcomings in the new 5060 model...
    lens not as bright, no smartmedia slot, proprietary batteries not AA etc.
    The only positive for the 5060 is the fast shutter response time, but there are ways to make the 5050 super fast (half pressed shutter to pre focus or use manual settings)
    There is a lot to learn with the 5050 but once you know what you are doing it can be amazing. It also has that quality 'feel' .

With the 5060 out it may even get a lot cheaper.

Now over to the Canon owners....:)

3. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Cheers Robert for the comments, being on the users group, what are the listed shutter response times of both the 5050z and 5060 cameras and at hi speed shooting what is the fps rate and maximum frames for both cameras again?

Cheers

Steve,

P.S

Come on Canon users, opinions please!

4. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like the 5050 may be faster on sequence... 1.7 shots per second compared to 1.4 for the 5060.

But I'll let you read up on it yourself here (Olympus site)

The 5060 and 5050 are there with specifications.

5. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Thanks Robert, i'm leaning more towards the 5050 but need opinions on the G5.

6. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Anyone know if you can transfer pictures straight from the camera via USB lead to a Flash pen drive or do you have to go via a PC first then to a pen drive from the PC?

7. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I've just purchased a Canon G5 (first foray into digital photography) and it has a number of strengths & weaknesses:

Strengths:

-Superb image quality at the highest resolution (and I do mean superb, I could quite happily enlarge to A4 size and not see any pixellation).

-Nice handling. I was a little worried at first about the size, but its very easy to handle.

-The metering is spot-on as is the flash exposure. Very impressive and probably at least as good as the metering on my EOS 3.

Weaknesses:

-Very slow AF. I was used to the lightning fast AF on my EOS 3 and the AF speed of the G5 came as a very unpleasant shock. In fact, I would say its too slow to make shots of kids at play a reality. So, if you are intending to take shots of fast action, then it may not be suitable.

-Shutter lag - very noticeable. It may be no worse than other digital cameras at the price, but after using a film SLR, it is really a pain.

So, it all depends on what you want photograph. If its landscapes or adults or still life, then its a superb camera. If you are after fast action, then you may need to check it out first before forking out the cash.

BTW, I bought mine from JL Reading who are currently offering it for £499 - a superb price and not easily bettered over the web.

8. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I had a short run with a C5050 back in March. I had to trade it in because I really needed a better zoom. I purchased a Nikon CP5700 and am delighted with it.

The fact that I am a Coolpix owner puts me at ease to say that the C5050 is a fantastic camera. It was a breeze to understand and use. The f1.8 lens is a fantastic goodie. I don't think the C5060 will be a better option. I have recommended the C5050 to several prospective buyers and the one's who did buy it are very happy with it.

The only other camera in the same price bracket that I have also recommended is the Sony DSC-V1, which also is a very good camera.

Best of luck.

9. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ...And don't take my word for it. Some of the photos in this gallery were taken using the C5050. The amazing thing is that they were taken in a single afternoon, after a fast reading of the Quick User's Guide. Just like that. Talk about "Point&Shoot"!

Check them out at:

http://www.pbase.com/photokhan/cascais