1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus C350

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by bigtel, May 9, 2003.

1. bigtel

bigtel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about buying this camera. Anyone got any opinions on it ? I'm pretty new to this and was advised by Jessops that it is a very good 3M pix camera

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    That range of Olympus with their 8-10 zoom tend to be quite noisy(picture grain). I found the C-350 had unacceptable noise levels compared to my 2mp point and shoot fuji 2800. So I traded mine in for the cannon G2 which has outstanding image quality.

3. chriskenrick

chriskenrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I almost bought one of these, then decided on a Canon A70 instead. Not that much more money, and cheaper memory cards. Also has more manual settings, and sound with movies. Very happy with it so far.

4. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I used to have the C-300 zoom the model that the C-350 zoom took over from. This was a superb camera for the money and gave superior results for little outlay. I would highly recommend it!

5. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The C-300 must have been good compared to the C-350 which added an extra X2 zoom making X10 optical zoom and an awful lot of picture grain/noise to go with it.

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bigtel, Because there are so many cameras that each have their own killer feature that makes it desirable its hard to say what is good, all you can do is ensure that it meets your needs. So the starting point is to ask yourself what you are looking for and then assess if a camera is any good.

For example the G2 mentioned above is technically and quality wise a very good camera, but if your needs are for the camera to be small and simply point and shoot then its useless.

The newbie thread on this forum gives points to consider.

So create a wish list then assess how well it suits, if it doesnt tell this forum what you are after and im sure well get you a shortlist of at least 10!!!

7. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The G2 is no bigger than the C-350. Design is different.

I agree you need to weigh up what's important for your needs, but I think we would all be in agreement that excellent picture quality is high on everyones list.

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unforetunately not!!!

But then again thats why there are so many cameras. As even poor quality ones have a market!

At the end of the day its about meeting needs. Recently I had a lunchtime shoot out comparing my av kit with an office buddy. He was convinced his system was as good as mine. His was a £200 sub/sat all in one dolbydigital DVD set up, mine a sony Marantz and mission combo. I believe him when he says he cant hear the difference. To some people convenience will always win over quality.

I cant tell the difference between composite Svideo or RGB on my telly (could be that the telly is crap) more likely im just not fussy about the TV image.

The worst camera I ever tested pic quality wise was a yashica S3 (or something like that) but these sell very well because they are so tiny and to get it tiny meant that optics and internals were compromised

In a laborious way Im disagreeing and saying that quality isnt at the top of everyones list!!!

9. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    That's probably true.

10. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I never used the digital zoom on my C-300 just the optical 2.8 x I think! For a point and shoot camera I thought it was superb. I read a recent review of the C-350 and they also said it was very good for what it is! I think you will be very happy if you bought this camera. If you want more manual functions, larger optical zoom etc, look elsewhere! But the C-350 can be bought for £209 plus delivery at www.warehouseexpress.com, they also offer 9 months interest free credit. Very good for a 3.3 MP camera with an optical zoom!