1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus C-4000 Zoom

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by seabird, Feb 20, 2003.

1. seabird

seabird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I am a bit stuck. I have recently taken over a new role in a small magazine and have been given this new camera, about which I now absolutely zip. I need to take magazine quality photos and we normally use only 300dpi shots. But whenever I take a shot and look at it in photoshop it is only 72dpi, making it useless for the magazine. Am I doing something wrong? Is it just not the right kind of camera? I am a total novice at this sort of thing and really dont know what to do!

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not really sure what you are doing but cameras dont work in dpi

They work in terms of number of pixels

The dpi depends on how big you want the image. For example if the max res of your camera is
    2288x1712

If you took an image at this resolution and wanted to have it 300dpi then the largest you could have the image is just under 8 inches by 6 inches.

So starting with basics what resolution are you shooting in. Make sure its the highest possible.

When you get it into adobe and have finished cropping it then set the picture size and see what dpi you get.

When I get home I will look at adobe and let you know what parameters you need to set (unless someone does this earlier)

3. neilrob

neilrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when useing photoshop, select image on the taskbar after opening your photo, then increase the pp1 from 72 to 300 pp1 you should see a vast improvement in the quality of the shot.