Olympics EPG disappeared and no Olympic channels

icstm

Established Member
Reaction score
Who on Freesat can see the BBC Olympic channels?

I used to have an EPG category, with no channels, now I do not even have that! :(

First programmes are on Wednesday.

Just checked and I have an Olympics section on my tv's EPG

yep Olympic section in the epg genre and 24 channels now showing on my panny tv, however just the genre section showing on the humax overnight update will put that right.

yep Olympic section in the epg genre and 24 channels now showing on my panny tv, however just the genre section showing on the humax overnight update will put that right.

Yep 150-174 appeared today on a Humax box for anyone doing a manual scan today or overnight if you wait.

150 BBC Olympic RB, 151-174 BBC Olympic 1 - 24. Apart from 150 6 transponders new to Freesat boxes.

no need, got home yesterday and it was fine.
It appears that the Echostar updates these things when in standby, and the deep standby is better for this than the Sling ready standby.

Interestingly though it you go to the football or opening ceremony, they are not showing the HD or DD+ sympbols, likke they are on BBC1HD. The when there is no programming the channels say BBC Olympics 17 HD, suggesting that they are HD channels.

Anyone else confirm?

no need, got home yesterday and it was fine.
It appears that the Echostar updates these things when in standby, and the deep standby is better for this than the Sling ready standby.

Interestingly though it you go to the football or opening ceremony, they are not showing the HD or DD+ sympbols, likke they are on BBC1HD. The when there is no programming the channels say BBC Olympics 17 HD, suggesting that they are HD channels.

Anyone else confirm?

Yes they are HD (there is SD versions as well you don't see on a HD box). Can you try making a manual recording of a minute or so of the current caption only content and post what happens ?. The first real programmes are in the epg from Thursday.

Are the SD channels coming across to the EPG? I can see them on my Humax HDR in non-freesat mode but only the HD ones on the freesat EPG.

I can't record anything at all yet in HD but I can record the SD streams in non-freesat mode. Ch13 has been showing a live stream of the "torch cam".

Even though I upgraded my HDD to 1TB a couple of years ago recording in HD will soon use up all my spare space.

Are the SD channels coming across to the EPG? I can see them on my Humax HDR in non-freesat mode but only the HD ones on the freesat EPG.

I can't record anything at all yet in HD but I can record the SD streams in non-freesat mode. Ch13 has been showing a live stream of the "torch cam".

The SD channels are hidden on HD STB's.
The recording problem on preview streams is known - all is expected to be normal on live events.

I wasn't talking about recording the current preview material. I was talking about what the EPG shows for the opening ceremony, which is on both 108-109 and 151-onwards. THe 151 channels do not show the HD logo on my Echostar.

@GLT
Even if I did record the programme I am not sure how I could tell if it was HD. For example when running Red button services (inc iplayer and multiscreen) from an HD channel the Echostar still lights the HD and DD+ lights on the box at the bottom, even though red button is not that quality (but the programme that lauched it is)

@GLT
Even if I did record the programme I am not sure how I could tell if it was HD. For example when running Red button services (inc iplayer and multiscreen) from an HD channel the Echostar still lights the HD and DD+ lights on the box at the bottom, even though red button is not that quality (but the programme that lauched it is)

I wasn't asking about whether it's HD or SD (that's not in doubt it's 1920 x 1080 HD MP2 audio).

I was asking to see if you can create a short recording that you can play back. Currently on a Foxsat-hdr you can't record the stream.

REPASSAC said:
The SD channels are hidden on HD STB's.
The recording problem on preview streams is known - all is expected to be normal on live events.

Good idea, as the HD channels are simulcast of SD channels but in HD quality, not sure why any one who had HD would want to view any SD channel, so what would be the point of putting both in EPG (which What happens on a Sky box for some puzzling reason)

Good idea, as the HD channels are simulcast of SD channels but in HD quality, not sure why any one who had HD would want to view any SD channel, so what would be the point of putting both in EPG (which What happens on a Sky box for some puzzling reason)

Perhaps because they don't have enough HDD space to record everything they want in HD. :D

I was asking to see if you can create a short recording that you can play back. Currently on a Foxsat-hdr you can't record the stream.

This morning I set my Foxsat-HDR to record Olympic channel 1 HD (151) from the EPG (Women's footie at 15.50). Box woke up at the right time and seemed to be indicating a recording in progress according to the on-screen icon. However, when I went to cancel the recording it told me that recodings of less than 30 seconds might not be saved. Sure enough, the progress bar on the recording had not moved even though it had been running for 20 mins. Nothing was saved. Even a manual recording (pressing the Record button) didn't record anything although it looked to be in progress.

This morning I set my Foxsat-HDR to record Olympic channel 1 HD (151) from the EPG (Women's footie at 15.50). Box woke up at the right time and seemed to be indicating a recording in progress according to the on-screen icon. However, when I went to cancel the recording it told me that recodings of less than 30 seconds might not be saved. Sure enough, the progress bar on the recording had not moved even though it had been running for 20 mins. Nothing was saved. Even a manual recording (pressing the Record button) didn't record anything although it looked to be in progress.

Indeed, the problem is the same is identical to the situation with the first test transmissions of CH4-HD. The recording starts and produces the 3 required files but the .nts navigation file remains at zero bytes. As a result the recording looks like 0 seconds. Reported to Humax tuesday morning. Trying to find out if other boxes like the Echostar and Samsung can record the content. Check out the thread on My Humax.

what about the HD part?
I am looking at channel 152, it seems to be SD.
Channel 153 is showing nothing, but the EPG for that entry is BBC Olympics 4 HD. Both channels lack the HD part in the channel name, but programme names include the HD when not showing anything.

GLT:
Yes recording problems. On an Echostar, it records but you cannot stop the recording and you cannot see how long the recording is in the library.

what about the HD part?
I am looking at channel 152, it seems to be SD.
Channel 153 is showing nothing, but the EPG for that entry is BBC Olympics 4 HD. Both channels lack the HD part in the channel name, but programme names include the HD when not showing anything.

What transponder is your 152 on, you may have the SD stream instead of the HD one. A short recording of 152 is HD on my Foxsat

The SD streams record fine by the way.

Attachments

• Olympic2.jpg
    Olympic2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 93

Even though I upgraded my HDD to 1TB a couple of years ago recording in HD will soon use up all my spare space.

The channel editor in the webif lets you add the SD channels you stored as non-freesat to the Freesat epg with normal freesat recording capability. The freesat epg data exists for the SD streams you just can't see it without the channel editor.

Attachments

• SDOlympic2.jpg
    SDOlympic2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 106
I'm off to reinstall raydon's firmware plus the new channel editor - may give me some extra flexibility to record red button streams :)
(I had uninstalled it a couple of months ago due to problems with recording Neighbours and Home and Away on CH5 - ergo low WAF :eek: ). I think I've convinced 'er indoors that this is entirely due to crap EPG issues with CH5 and that it's nothing to do with the firmware..... I hope.

I'm off to reinstall raydon's firmware plus the new channel editor - may give me some extra flexibility to record red button streams :)
(I had uninstalled it a couple of months ago due to problems with recording Neighbours and Home and Away on CH5 - ergo low WAF :eek: ). I think I've convinced 'er indoors that this is entirely due to crap EPG issues with CH5 and that it's nothing to do with the firmware..... I hope.

It's down to the bizarre way CH5 uses series crids. I have to use two daily weekday repeating reservations to record the lunchtime editions. Make sure you install the latest 4.0.7 version.

What transponder is your 152 on, you may have the SD stream instead of the HD one. A short recording of 152 is HD on my Foxsat

The SD streams record fine by the way.
No idea how to find that out on the Echostar.
All it can tell me is:
Network ID:59
TransportID:2022
Service ID 7803
BBC Olympic 2

any help?

what did you search?
The Network IDs do not match 2 on KoS and 59 above) and I thought you can have multiple NetworkIDs for a given TransportID?
Or can I just search on the Service ID? as typing 7803 into the top of KoS returned nothing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom