Olympics 2012: Closing Ceremony

Redline

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the closing ceremony tonight, rumoured to be some surprises celebrating 50 years of British pop.

What the **** are those kids doing on there? Get some proper artists on!

I would have thought a "generations" celebration of music would have been a great thing!

Imagine the lights going down and then the opening bars of Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones rings out.... :eek:

On a similar note, I hope The Spice Girls all perform in the Union Jack dress that Geri wore at the Brits in 97, that would be superb!

Turning into a shambles now...apparently Boyle isn't in charge of the closing. Some dude named Kim Gavin..!

Did I just me not catching it or did the Who miss out a certain line from My Generation?

Bri

I didn't hear it and I was listening out so that I could make a suitable sarcastic comment.

All in all, i was impressed.

Jessie J or what ever her name, was terrible and spice girls were pretty poor but other than that it was ok.

Only look on the bright side of life, stole the show, as did the athletes enjoying themselves.

I suspect 2012 will be remembered as the year that took away the embarasment that we as a nation had when it came to the Union Flag.

Enjoyed the majority of it. Liked the "wish you were here" bit with Ed sheeren and the nod to the albumn cover / man on fire.

The spice girls made me feel old - that was about 15 years ago.

Didn't enjoy beady eye, even though i used to like oasis and love their anthems. At that point i felt sorry for the olympians - it looked like they were kettled by people with light bulbs rather than riot police, whilst having to endure Laim G's whining.

Loved the John Lennon bit.

Eric Idle was a star and who were those stunning angels behind him ??:devil:

All in all a good show.

Last edited:
Some of the highlights for me: Freddy Mercury doing is bit to the crowd and Brian May on guitar was great. Wish you were here with Nick Mason on drums. Eric idle performing always look on the bright side of life.
I think the BBC did excellent coverage of the whole Olympic games and the red button function where you could choose which sport to watch was brilliant.

There was a really good two part documentary on BBC four recently about Queen and it showed that Freddie M bit with the crowd joining in - really good.

Slightly off topic, but related to "inspire a generation", that same documentary talked about Freddies last days. There was some new material, but Freddie knew that he wasnt going to live long enough to do full band recording sessions (he had only days). Knowing it was quicker to just do the vocals, he went into the studio on his own to get down as much vocal recording as possible before he died. Now that is inspirational :)

MB

NBC broadcasting the tape delayed London Olympics coverage in the US, once again angered it's viewers (could BBC America not show it live???)

Previously they edited the gymnastics, creating fake suspense.

Now with the closing cermony they edited parts out, and then decided to run a different programe in the middle!

The London Olympics ended on a sour note in terms of coverage. And some audiences blamed NBC and DirecTV for spoiling their last hours of viewing. The Numbskull Broadcasting Company once again edited the heck out of its tape-delayed primetime broadcast Sunday night of the Closing Ceremonies.

The network cut performances by The Kinks' Ray Davies, Muse, Kate Bush, the Royal Ballet, and Eric Idle singing a swear word. The network also decided George Michael performing a track from his new record wasn't worth sharing with America. (NBC did include Michael's rendition of his classic ”Freedom”).

But NBC's most controversial move was to squeeze in a commercial-free preview of Animal Practice before airing The Who's grand finale. It fell to poor put-upon NBC Olympics host Bob Costas to make the following announcement to viewers: ”We'll be back from Olympic Stadium in about an hour for the London closing party featuring The Who.

But stay tuned now for a full episode of Animal Practice, the new NBC comedy presented commercial free.” The network brass changed plans to air Crystal The Monkey et al after the closing ceremony. Granted, the embattled network is desperate for more eyeballs for its 2012-2013 primetime. But NBC forfeited audience goodwill last night. Viewers were merciless on Twitter at #NBCfail and #closingceremonies.

BBC America (cable channel on the Discovery network) doesn't have the subscribers/viewing figures of a FTA major network like NBC so couldn't justify/afford it

btw, should be catching Animal Practice later ;)

EDIT ... it was good fun, although the show was stolen by Dr. Rizzo (played by Crystal the Monkey of Night at the Museum, Community and The Hangover Part II fame)

Last edited:
^^^^ Bri, yep on big screens in the stadium ... was all the daaayooooo, deeedo deeedo dayo stuff (possibly from Wembley '86), with a bit of image tweeking and bells and whistles so it was just him with a black background

Last edited:
^^^^ Bri, yep on big screens in the stadium ... was all the daaayooooo, deeedo deeedo dayo stuff (possibly from Wembley '86), with a bit of image tweeking and bells and whistles so it was just him with a black background

Krish

Did you catch the very much shortened Dr Who bit in the opening ceremony?

Bri

Krish

Did you catch the very much shortened Dr Who bit in the opening ceremony?

Bri
Not sure, must have missed it but thought I heard the Tardis sound?

Was hoping it would have had the same prominence as Bond and Bean as internationally known Brit institutions

Jessie J or what ever her name, was terrible and spice girls were pretty poor but other than that it was ok.
Heh, of all the mediocrity on show I thought The Spice Girls and Jessie J were two of the acts that rose above it and actually added some energy and sparkle. The Eric Idle bit was fun but pointless and the Wish You Were Here song just about okay-ish. But neither the opening nor the closing ceremonies were worth anything like the colossal amount of money spent on them.

Regards

Mark

Not sure, must have missed it but thought I heard the Tardis sound?

Was hoping it would have had the same prominence as Bond and Bean as internationally known Brit institutions

The original idea was to have all the TV Doctor's images shown but they dropped that due to lack of time. They did indeed use the Tardis sound though. As you say it's a British institution known around the world.

Bri

yep from wembley '86, although they had to edit out the #### you, bit at the end.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom