Olympic opening ceremony BBC vs Eurosport

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Member 55145, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    Having not realised that the 3D opening ceremony was broadcasting on BBC HD in 3D I set the Sky 3D channel to record it (Eurosport) while watching the BBC ONE HD (2D) broadcast with the family.

Absolutely loved the show and wanted to watch it today in 3D

..... But what's this!

The BBC feed was completely different to the Eurosport one!

While the BBC one was clearly orchestrated down to the cameras watching the balloons pop 5..4..3..2..1 the Eurosport one was a complete mess like they didn't know what was going on!

After a quick scan of the first 30 mins

Missing out on Kenneth Branagh
    Missing the sync videos
    No speech bubbles for the lost phone sequence
    I don't want to even see the mr bean sketch!
    And choc full of add breaks!

And to think the rest of the world prob saw the Eurosport feed! Eurgh!

Anyone know if the BBC HD feed in 3D will be repeated in full?

Really disappointed in my Eurosport copy!

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    You must have watched a different Eurosport 3D version to me then, as I saw none of the differences you described. There were no ads on Eurosport 3d that I saw for example. Kenneth Branagh was there. The coverage on BBC 3D and Eurosport 3D was identical. I recorded them both. As you might exect as it was supplied to them both by OBS.
    What on earth were you watching? You are not referring to the edited highlights they showed afterwards are you?

Now there may have been differences between the 2D and 3D feeds if that is was you are comparing. But as for 3D then both BBC and Eurosport were the same.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  3. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    If that's true then that is such a shame

I'm talking about the live 2D BBC broadcast (which was fab)

And the naff 3d Eurosport one.

I had them both recording live and watching the Eurosport one today it was all over the place!

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Remember all coverage is provided by OBS. It isn't a case of fab BBC and naff Eurosport. It is OBS who was both fab and naff depending on whether you watched 2D or 3D. If you watched Eurosport 2D then that was the same as BBC 2D

Even so, I still don't fully understand your comments because things you pointed out like ads were not in the Eurosport version I recorded and mr Branagh doing his brunel impersonation was there. Though I agree the ballon popping was badly followed, but that was the same on BBC 3D too.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  5. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    Ok I guess the BBC 3D one must of been pretty poor too then if it was the same as the Eurosport one.

I don't mean full ad breaks I mean breaks for their logo

If you watch the 3D feed the monitors in the background with close ups is what the 2D people watched (and I guess Eurosport 2D too if they had same feed)

Also the audio quality was much better AND wasn't littered with constant commentary.

So I guess it's the case that the 2D feed was great and the 3D one was crap! Lol

Over on dspy it's being discussed and they are saying the 3D version used wider perspectives

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    FYI, I notice that the 3D highlights programme every night is identical on BBC and Eurosport. The edits package must be provided by OBS, not edited by the BBC themselves or Eurosport. No point in recording them both then. Even the commentators are the same.

7. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    Just skipped through 3D recording. While the camera work improved it was still pretty ropey. Lots of parts missed out

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Part of it is probably a limitation on the number of 3D cameras they have. The 2D producer will have a much greater choice of 2D cameras to choose from and so can cut to different shots, whereas the 3D producer will not. I don't believe anything was "missing" in terms of the event, more a case that it wasn't shown from the same viewpoint as the 2D cameras and hence missed the details and close ups available to the 2D producer.