Olive Kitteridge (HBO / Sky Atlantic)

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched this superb mini-series over the past couple of evenings and couldn't find an existing thread, so...

Olive Kitteridge | Sky.com
The series, which stars Academy Award® winner Frances McDormand and Academy Award® nominees Richard Jenkins and Bill Murray, is based on Elizabeth Strout's Pulitzer prize-winning novel and has been directed by Lisa Cholodenko and written by Emmy®-winner Jane Anderson.

Critical praise for the series has been overwhelmingly positive, with The Daily Telegraph commenting that "Frances McDormand brought to life the most indelible female character" and the Financial Times feeling that "this page-to-screen conversion is a winner".

Olive Kitteridge tells the poignantly sweet, acerbically funny and devastatingly tragic story of a seemingly placid New England town wrought with illicit affairs, crime and tragedy, told through the lens of Olive (McDormand), whose wicked wit and harsh demeanor mask a warm but troubled heart and staunch moral center. Jenkins portrays Olive's husband, Henry.

The story, which spans 25 years over the four parts, focuses on Olive, a middle-school math teacher, and her relationships with Henry, the good-hearted town pharmacist, their son Christopher, who chafes at his mother's parenting style, and other denizens of their community.

Olive Kitteridge: Season One - Rotten Tomatoes currently 95% on the Tomatometer

Same here!! Just there waiting...

We recorded it and have actually watched it ;) and very good it was too!

Last edited:
I'm pleased to know that I'm not the only person on AVF who was captivated by this :smashin:

Frances McDormand and Bill Murray have both been nominated for Golden Globes awards plus Olive Kitteridge is up for Best Mini-Series (ironically up against Fargo which, of course, is a spin-off from the movie that McDormand won the Academy Award for Best Actress starring in).

Interesting to hear her say that it was finally getting around to watching The Wire which got McDormand on board with making this mini-series...

Interview with Frances McDormand | Olive Kitteridge | HBO

Watch Frances McDormand talks about her role as Olive Kitteridge | Katie Couric News Video videos online free - Yahoo Screen UK

I can understand Frances' opinion about watching something like "The Wire" would get her on board with HBO

I will pretty much watch anything from HBO now, not sure what it was that sparked it perhaps the The Sopranos or Band of Brothers

I watched part 1 tonight and jeez, it's great, note perfect and what a production...role on tomorrow night for part two...nobody put a foot wrong.

I'm pleased to know that I'm not the only person on AVF who was captivated by this :smashin:

Frances McDormand and Bill Murray have both been nominated for Golden Globes awards plus Olive Kitteridge is up for Best Mini-Series (ironically up against Fargo which, of course, is a spin-off from the movie that McDormand won the Academy Award for Best Actress starring in).

Interesting to hear her say that it was finally getting around to watching The Wire which got McDormand on board with making this mini-series...

Interview with Frances McDormand | Olive Kitteridge | HBO

Watch Frances McDormand talks about her role as Olive Kitteridge | Katie Couric News Video videos online free - Yahoo Screen UK

What a great interview.

My wife loved the programme, must admit I was quite captivated by it as well. It was so very well acted with some great photography. Out on blu-ray on February 9th it should look stunning.

A good drama with nearly a great steal from Bill Murray.

Olive Kitteridge wins all of the Emmys (but Jon Hamm and Viola Davis each get one too)

Best Limited Series Or Movie:
Olive Kitteridge

Best Lead Actress In A Limited Series Or Movie: Frances McDormand, Olive Kitteridge

Best Lead Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie: Richard Jenkins, Olive Kitteridge

Best Supporting Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie: Bill Murray, Olive Kitteridge

Best Writing In A Limited Series Or Movie: Jane Anderson, Olive Kitteridge

Best Directing In A Limited Series Or Movie: Lisa Cholodenko, Olive Kitteridge

emmys_Olive_Kitter_3447296k.jpg

Emmy Awards 2015: The ceremony in pictures

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom