1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLEDs in projectors?

Discussion in 'OLED TVs' started by zoolap, May 28, 2003.

1. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've heard about the use of OLEDs in digital cameras? Are any companies planning its use in projectors and what would be advantages?

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt they'll be able to make them bright enough :)

If it were possible then it would interesting as you would have the advantage of CRT, emmisive so off really is off - great blacks and the benefits of LCD/DLP - digital less fiddly calibration and adjustment required. Oh and there would be no bulb :D

OLEDs are certainly a way forward for small/desktop displays though, I can't wait ;)

-- Jon

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The oled's are used for the viewer on digicams. The technology is advanced enough for displays on watches, mobiles etc and I hear they have even progressed to 17in ultra flat PC monitors. With regard to projectors I don't think the application will be akin to a PJ anyway. ie a oled panel sending light through a lense onto the screen because as gothmog said they just aren't bright enough. The Home-Cinema/Projector application will actually have nothing to do with projection. When the technology is a little more advanced it will be a case of your screen being the projector in a way. OLEDs will be printed on your roll up screen.

Other applications will be roll up screens in your phone a la Earth Final Conflict. Newspapers a la Minority Report. Wall paper displaying static or moving images a la BTTF2 and Aliens etc. Predator like camoflauge suits for soldiers!!!

The last one seems the most incredible but it will be doable in a few years. The suit is covered in OLED's with a good few micro camera's embedded in the fabric all over. The OLED's on one side display the image from the camera's on the other side of the wearer.

Its not unlike the invisible car in the latest Bond Movie. Camera's on on side of the car sending what they see to the OLED paint on the other side. I have to laugh at people slagging this as being the most ridiculous far-fetched invention ever in a bond movie. Its a lot closer to reality and our current technological ability then a laser built into an omega watch capable of burning through inches of metal!!