OLED806 - sometimes sends LPCM instead of DD(+)

JDXAV

Every now and then, my soundbar announces it is switching to LPCM for content that I'm 99% sure is in Dolby. For instance when launching Netflix or streaming a modern show.
I think LPCM means basic stereo - it doesn't sound as good - but I can't see a way to change/force DD without restarting the TV/AV (no idea how to force quit an app on Android TV).

There's a setting "digital out format" with options multichannel/multichannel(bypass). I've noticed switching this will cause the AV to use DD more reliably but it has other issues.

Is it a firmware bug? Has anyone else seen it? Not really clear on this whole bypass setting generally.

Metroguy

Standard Member
Multichannel means the tv decodes the sound and sends it to the sound bar . This is best for compatibility if yr tv can decode more formats than soundbar or Home theater receiver

Bypass means the soundbar or receiver does the decoding . This is best if u have a better decoder in the soundbar or receiver or specific formats not supported by the tv . Also offloads processing power off the tv to soundbar.

Both are digitally processed and sent over HDMI or optical .

l00pu5

Every now and then, my soundbar announces it is switching to LPCM for content that I'm 99% sure is in Dolby. For instance when launching Netflix or streaming a modern show.
I think LPCM means basic stereo - it doesn't sound as good - but I can't see a way to change/force DD without restarting the TV/AV (no idea how to force quit an app on Android TV).

There's a setting "digital out format" with options multichannel/multichannel(bypass). I've noticed switching this will cause the AV to use DD more reliably but it has other issues.

Is it a firmware bug? Has anyone else seen it? Not really clear on this whole bypass setting generally.

If the soundbar is unexpectedly switching to LPCM, is the sound still normal, or is it glitching in any way?
What digital out format setting is actually in effect when the issue occurs?

How is the soundbar connected to the TV? HDMI ARC? TOSLINK / optical audio out?
If ARC: is eARC enabled or disabled in the TV's settings menu?

Does the error description mean that the results will vary intermittently using the very same content (i.e. same movie / same series episode)? Meaning that one playback attempt of the same content yields LPCM output, while another playback attempt of still the same content will yield DD output?

JDXAV

If the soundbar is unexpectedly switching to LPCM, is the sound still normal, or is it glitching in any way?
What digital out format setting is actually in effect when the issue occurs?
It seems to work fine but it's just not as clear. If LPCM is stereo only (I think?) that would make sense since my centre/sub will not have dedicated channel information.

I think that we only get this behaviour (it's quite rare) when not using bypass. In one case we saw the soundbar display LPCM as we started a show, and I switched mode on the TV and it changed to DD. I switched the mode back and it went back to LPCM - so not just a reset issue, it seemed something in the stream didn't like the TV?
How is the soundbar connected to the TV? HDMI ARC? TOSLINK / optical audio out?
If ARC: is eARC enabled or disabled in the TV's settings menu?
ARC. We were using eARC but Philips TVs have known eARC settings so we turned that off based on other threads here (which did seem to resolve those other problems)
Does the error description mean that the results will vary intermittently using the very same content (i.e. same movie / same series episode)? Meaning that one playback attempt of the same content yields LPCM output, while another playback attempt of still the same content will yield DD output?
That's a great question. I haven't tested. I will make a note next time it happens so I can go back and test - typically we're eating dinner and last thing either of us wants is to faffing about with TV configuration at that time.

To add, we are watching streaming services using the TV's built-in apps. I could consider using a Roku4K if it were an issue in the TV firmware - seen similar on other TVs before. I love the OLED picture and ambilight but the actual software on the Philips is not really impressing us much so far!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom