OLED65B7A-U blotch in screen

JohnSmythe

Novice Member
Hi,

My OLED65B7A-U has developed a blotch in the center of the screen.

Please see pics.

OLED65B7A-U BACK LABEL.PNG

TV pic bacground-ORANGE-CLOSEUP.jpg

TV pic bacground-ORANGE-FULL SCREEN-2.jpg

TV pic bacground-ORANGE-FULL SCREEN.jpg

TV pic bacground-ORANGE-PARTIAL SCREEN-1.jpg

TV pic MAGENTA BACKGROUND-BLUE BLOTCH - CLOSE-UP.jpg

TV pic MAGENTA BACKGROUND-BLUE BLOTCH - FULL SCREEN.jpg

TV pic ORANGE BACKGROUND-GREEN BLOTCH - PARTIAL SCREEN-2.jpg

TV TEST IMAGE - FULL SCREEN.jpg

The very odd thing is: the blotch does not appear at all times.
It depends on the background, but I do not know what the specifics of this are
to detail just what kind of background or image causes the blotch to appear.

Anyone have any suggestions?

What to do to clean this up and restore my screen back to 100%?

Thanks!

Attachments

• OLED65B7A-U BACK LABEL.PNG
    OLED65B7A-U BACK LABEL.PNG
    566.1 KB · Views: 17
  • TV pic bacground-ORANGE-CLOSEUP.jpg
    TV pic bacground-ORANGE-CLOSEUP.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 14
  • TV pic bacground-ORANGE-FULL SCREEN-2.jpg
    TV pic bacground-ORANGE-FULL SCREEN-2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 15
  • TV pic bacground-ORANGE-FULL SCREEN.jpg
    TV pic bacground-ORANGE-FULL SCREEN.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 14
  • TV pic bacground-ORANGE-PARTIAL SCREEN-1.jpg
    TV pic bacground-ORANGE-PARTIAL SCREEN-1.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 12
  • TV pic MAGENTA BACKGROUND-BLUE BLOTCH - CLOSE-UP.jpg
    TV pic MAGENTA BACKGROUND-BLUE BLOTCH - CLOSE-UP.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 16
  • TV pic MAGENTA BACKGROUND-BLUE BLOTCH - FULL SCREEN.jpg
    TV pic MAGENTA BACKGROUND-BLUE BLOTCH - FULL SCREEN.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 11
  • TV pic ORANGE BACKGROUND-GREEN BLOTCH - PARTIAL SCREEN-2.jpg
    TV pic ORANGE BACKGROUND-GREEN BLOTCH - PARTIAL SCREEN-2.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 14
  • TV pic ORANGE BACKGROUND-GREEN BLOTCH - PARTIAL SCREEN-3.jpg
    TV pic ORANGE BACKGROUND-GREEN BLOTCH - PARTIAL SCREEN-3.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 16
  • TV TEST IMAGE - FULL SCREEN.jpg
    TV TEST IMAGE - FULL SCREEN.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 16

5to1

There was a manufacturing issue acknowledged by LG that caused a similar issue.

Apparently during manufacture the lookup tables on some panels were setup before the Center of the screen had cooled post fab.

It may not be that as most presented within a couple of years. But I’d suggest having a google, I’m sure there’s a thread here. Then chasing LG.

Good luck.

There was a manufacturing issue acknowledged by LG that caused a similar issue.

Apparently during manufacture the lookup tables on some panels were setup before the Center of the screen had cooled post fab.

It may not be that as most presented within a couple of years. But I’d suggest having a google, I’m sure there’s a thread here. Then chasing LG.
As far as I know that manufacturing issue is about a rectangle which takes up 25% of the screen on the LG 55" 2017 models and according to rtings.com LG should fix the issue on affected TVs for free even after the warranty period has long expired. Unfortunately getting it fixed highly depends on the country you live in. In my case the LG customer support (Germany) hung the phone up on me when I called them regarding this issue.
Here's the related video to that topic: Factory Defect & Fix - OLED Burn in Test Update Week 10 - RTINGS.com

In this case my personal best guess is that the blotch in the middle might be caused by overheating. Might be interesting to know if it's caused by the faulty power supply, since LG replaced them on the 65" B7 models this year, but it's mostly speculation from my side.

The slightly larger and less visible area in the middle looks like uneven pixel degradation - in most TV shows and movies you often have the faces of people shown in the middle of screen which causes the red color to degrade faster. The horizontal lines look like "burn-in" caused by some menus or the UI.

The only solution for getting rid of the blotch and the other permanent image retention marks is to have the panel replaced. The best option is to contact the retailer where you bought your TV from and argue with them that they need to take care of the issue. Contacting LG directly results in much less success. You can also check out the following thread where you can find similar cases where people successfully had their panel replaced: OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

5to1

As far as I know that manufacturing issue is about a rectangle which takes up 25% of the screen on the LG 55" 2017 models and according to rtings.com LG should fix the issue on affected TVs for free even after the warranty period has long expired. Unfortunately getting it fixed highly depends on the country you live in. In my case the LG customer support (Germany) hung the phone up on me when I called them regarding this issue.
Here's the related video to that topic: Factory Defect & Fix - OLED Burn in Test Update Week 10 - RTINGS.com

In this case my personal best guess is that the blotch in the middle might be caused by overheating. Might be interesting to know if it's caused by the faulty power supply, since LG replaced them on the 65" B7 models this year, but it's mostly speculation from my side.

The slightly larger and less visible area in the middle looks like uneven pixel degradation - in most TV shows and movies you often have the faces of people shown in the middle of screen which causes the red color to degrade faster. The horizontal lines look like "burn-in" caused by some menus or the UI.

The only solution for getting rid of the blotch and the other permanent image retention marks is to have the panel replaced. The best option is to contact the retailer where you bought your TV from and argue with them that they need to take care of the issue. Contacting LG directly results in much less success. You can also check out the following thread where you can find similar cases where people successfully had their panel replaced: OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Thanks for the link, I only remembered it vaguely it’s been so long.

Doesn’t hurt to give LG a shot. But as you say the OPs contract is with the retailer. If it’s burn in/deg then others have had success chasing the retailer, but it’s taken persistence :(

OP If you paid by Credit Card, you could also chase the card company under S75 if the retailer doesn’t play ball.

Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom