Oled Yellow/Red Tint

Does your Oled have tint that can be seen in normal content?

• Total voters
Took delivery of my 55" LG C9 yesterday and it has a blue/greenish tint in the bottom right hand corner, very similar to this image I found online:

0fWHqul.png

Is this something that will work out over time, or is this just how the panel is for life now?
It wont get any better over time,so it is something that you will have to get used to or return for another and see it that one's better.

But best to watch as much content as possible to see how much it bothers you before you decide to keep it.

Hi all, I got my 65 c9 last week and had been pretty happy with it until I went on google and noticed some pink tint on the right side of the screen. It’s pretty noticeable when the screen is all yellow as well. Don’t notice it too much during normal viewing but now that I have seen it I can’t “un see” it. Should I consider returning it or is this just par the course for these sets?

Attachments

• 90D61DF2-4748-49FD-AADB-81B4A011BAA9.jpeg
    90D61DF2-4748-49FD-AADB-81B4A011BAA9.jpeg
    859.2 KB · Views: 645
  • 24703401-E9B1-45B1-844C-322712358279.jpeg
    24703401-E9B1-45B1-844C-322712358279.jpeg
    832.4 KB · Views: 535
Hi all, I got my 65 c9 last week and had been pretty happy with it until I went on google and noticed some pink tint on the right side of the screen. It’s pretty noticeable when the screen is all yellow as well. Don’t notice it too much during normal viewing but now that I have seen it I can’t “un see” it. Should I consider returning it or is this just par the course for these sets?

I'd say looking at those pictures - that isn't too bad. If grey uniformity is good - and those pics are representative - chances are you end up with a worse panel.

I have a 65 Inch OLED C7. Went through all the effort to have it replaced early on due to tinting on the left hand side and then I got a new one with the exact same tint.

I've lived with it ever since but it's very noticeable to me whenever there is green or yellow all over the screen like a football game or desert scene especially in a movie (No country for old men was very obvious to me).

It gets significantly worse in my case when sitting towards the left of the screen. It is close to gone when directly in front. I am now of the opinion tint issues in one form or another are extremely common on 65 inch OLED's. The 3rd party repairer LG sent out to deal with another issue I had was telling me it is nearly impossible to get a 65 inch screen without some sort of uniformity issue.

I m now of the opinion tint issues in one form or another are extremely common on 65 inch OLED's. The 3rd party repairer LG sent out to deal with another issue I had was telling me it is nearly impossible to get a 65 inch screen without some sort of uniformity issue.

You're just unlucky. There are good panels definitely.

You're just unlucky. There are good panels definitely.

The responses to the survey at the top of this poll seem to suggest that a little over half these panels have the same issue. I don't know if it's so much unlucky as just poor quality control from LG. Whether I want to spend serious time and effort trying to convince an indifferent call centre to replace the TV again only to get another panel with the same issue is what my concern is. Doesn't seem like anyone else notices the problem in my household other than me either.

Do you think this should be obvious enough to LG to not cause them to drag out everything?

Ignore the right hand side of the top picture as it's just a window reflection.

IMG_0201.jpeg
IMG_0377.jpg
IMG_0380.jpg

The responses to the survey at the top of this poll seem to suggest that a little over half these panels have the same issue. I don't know if it's so much unlucky as just poor quality control from LG. Whether I want to spend serious time and effort trying to convince an indifferent call centre to replace the TV again only to get another panel with the same issue is what my concern is. Doesn't seem like anyone else notices the problem in my household other than me either.
LG will be fully aware of the issue but play dumb. It is a panel lottery, I was told when I started this thread that I was unlucky...unlucky 8 times in a row over 6 months...
I managed to get one eventually with only slight tint down the left. It is visible in some (not all) content.
Seems to still exist on the C9 threads but not to the same extent and the 2019 Panasonic’s seem to be almost free.
If it’s not tint, it’s bands and again, the Panasonic’s (especially the gz2000) have fantastic uniformity. So is it now luck in 2019 or are Panasonic providing better quality control? It may be a numbers game but given the GZ950 is the bargain this year i’d expect to see greater numbers and ... more complaints but it’s quiet so far (which is great).
I’m upgrading in 2020/21 and if I go LG again, I will feel it’s still a gamble (and the days of suppliers allowing so many panel swap outs I think are gone).

LG will be fully aware of the issue but play dumb. It is a panel lottery, I was told when I started this thread that I was unlucky...unlucky 8 times in a row over 6 months...
I managed to get one eventually with only slight tint down the left. It is visible in some (not all) content.
Seems to still exist on the C9 threads but not to the same extent and the 2019 Panasonic’s seem to be almost free.
If it’s not tint, it’s bands and again, the Panasonic’s (especially the gz2000) have fantastic uniformity. So is it now luck in 2019 or are Panasonic providing better quality control? It may be a numbers game but given the GZ950 is the bargain this year i’d expect to see greater numbers and ... more complaints but it’s quiet so far (which is great).
I’m upgrading in 2020/21 and if I go LG again, I will feel it’s still a gamble (and the days of suppliers allowing so many panel swap outs I think are gone).

This is exactly what I thought. I don't believe it's bad luck when over 50% of people have the same problem and someone like you has had 8 changes before getting one that's acceptable.

It seems if anything it's a coincidence to get one that is tint free. I just couldn't imagine the stress and headache that must go into dealing with LG for 8 replacements. Wow.

I just couldn't imagine the stress and headache that must go into dealing with LG for 8 replacements. Wow.
Thankfully it wasn’t through LG.
It did start with them but as tv was under 30 days old, it went to the company I purchased from. So was one from John Lewis and 7 from Curry’s (they were superb, really understanding). I finally decided to go with the E7 rather than C7 with the hope that as it was more expensive I might have a better chance of LG providing a bit more care. It was better but only just.
It’s a cracking tv, best I’ve ever had, but over 2 years on and it does raise its head every so often, fortunately not as often as banding has started to in darker HDR content....
While I may come across as too picky, my wife (who obviously isn’t ;) ) points out the tint and banding too.

Thankfully it wasn’t through LG.
It did start with them but as tv was under 30 days old, it went to the company I purchased from. So was one from John Lewis and 7 from Curry’s (they were superb, really understanding). I finally decided to go with the E7 rather than C7 with the hope that as it was more expensive I might have a better chance of LG providing a bit more care. It was better but only just.
It’s a cracking tv, best I’ve ever had, but over 2 years on and it does raise its head every so often, fortunately not as often as banding has started to in darker HDR content....
While I may come across as too picky, my wife (who obviously isn’t ;) ) points out the tiny and banding too.

That's good that your retailer was good.

I must have bought online from the worst retailer in Australia (Bing Lee) who didn't want to know about it at 40 days old. Hopeless retailer.

As for the screen, when I'm sitting in front of it or it's not specific content you can see the tinting in, it looks spectacular. I'm still amazed at OLED's. Just a shame the 65 inch versions had so many of these tinting/banding issues.

That's good that your retailer was good.

I must have bought online from the worst retailer in Australia (Bing Lee) who didn't want to know about it at 40 days old. Hopeless retailer.

As for the screen, when I'm sitting in front of it or it's not specific content you can see the tinting in, it looks spectacular. I'm still amazed at OLED's. Just a shame the 65 inch versions had so many of these tinting/banding issues.

that is disappointing with your retailer.

yes oled still has my jaw hitting the floor, most recently with a little BBC doc shot in your neck of the woods. Looks sublime in HLG via the BBC iPlayer
Hoping you get to see it in UHD!

Well i bought 65 and uniformity is exelent. No tint or banding. My previous 55" is worse but not bad too.

Well i bought 65 and uniformity is exelent. No tint or banding. My previous 55" is worse but not bad too.
Is that a 65" C7 or newer model? Glad to hear you got a good one.

Is that a 65" C7 or newer model?

B8.

Some of my friends got C9 ( 77" and 65") and those panels are very good from the scratch. I just want to say that despite panel lottery there's real chance to get good OLED panel.

B8.

Some of my friends got C9 ( 77" and 65") and those panels are very good from the scratch. I just want to say that despite panel lottery there's real chance to get good OLED panel.
I hope so (from my future upgrade perspective), certainly wasn’t the case in 2017

Hello everyone (sorry for my bad English 🙈)
I’m Chris from Germany, I really enjoyed it to read through this forum.. Very good information! I own a C9 65 Inch since one week, here some fotos with 5% gray and 100% white.. What do you think? Is it a good one? I noticed a slight tint on the left hand side of the panel.. Not sure if I should go for a swap or is that a stupid idea? 🙈
I can only see it during a football match slight yellow tint on the grass.. And when I’m moving to the left it gets more visible..

Last edited by a moderator:
The tinting on my fz802 moves from left to right depending on where im sitting when watching football. A solid white screen and solid green dont seem to show major issues. I emailed panasonic with footy pics and was told there was nothing wrong with it. It really annoys me to see this everytime i watch the footy. Anyone get the same issue?

Attachments

• 20191109_135019.jpg
    20191109_135019.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 436
  • 20191109_140926.jpg
    20191109_140926.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 403
  • 20191120_155741.jpg
    20191120_155741.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 418
  • 20191120_145744.jpg
    20191120_145744.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 395
The tinting on my fz802 moves from left to right depending on where im sitting when watching football. A solid white screen and solid green dont seem to show major issues. I emailed panasonic with footy pics and was told there was nothing wrong with it. It really annoys me to see this everytime i watch the footy. Anyone get the same issue?

Yes that’s the infamous red tint on these 2019 sets. Earth tones like certain shades of green grass, sand colors, etc show this shift in colors making the red tint show.

Some panels are better than others

Yes that’s the infamous red tint on these 2019 sets. Earth tones like certain shades of green grass, sand colors, etc show this shift in colors making the red tint show.

Some panels are better than others

Would you recommend I push Panasonic to replace the panel or is it something I'll have to stomach and get on with.

I just got mine, 65 inch B9, on Black Friday. And i was watching national geographic and noticed a yellow tint and it is so irritating! Now after reading all these comments, it seems it is almost impossible to get a tint free one.
But would you guys really be able to ignore this tint on mine? The picture quality is jaw dropping except that it is really irritating in white screen.
Wouldn't it be better to contact LG to send a technician to change the panel so I can check right away rather than carrying this gigantic TV to Best Buy for replacement?

1575317810305.png

I just got mine, 65 inch B9, on Black Friday. And i was watching national geographic and noticed a yellow tint and it is so irritating! Now after reading all these comments, it seems it is almost impossible to get a tint free one.
But would you guys really be able to ignore this tint on mine? The picture quality is jaw dropping except that it is really irritating in white screen.
Wouldn't it be better to contact LG to send a technician to change the panel so I can check right away rather than carrying this gigantic TV to Best Buy for replacement?

View attachment 1227329
I recently got a C9 and have the same yellow tint in exactly the same position. I would say for 50% of content I don't notice it at all. However anything involving snow or sky scenes together with panning of the camera and there yellow patch is very noticeable, even my wife sees it. I have an LG technician coming this week so fingers crossed it will be sorted out.

Just got my c9 65, it’s a warmer tone overall in isf dark mode but seems like tiny issues too. Being slightly colour blind it’s harder to make out but attached picture, does this look bad?.

Attachments

• 662BCAB1-8682-492F-8027-8618E208E8E7.jpeg
    662BCAB1-8682-492F-8027-8618E208E8E7.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 457
  • 56694DA2-B7A5-4B28-A74A-B2D0B71D34A9.jpeg
    56694DA2-B7A5-4B28-A74A-B2D0B71D34A9.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 449
I recently got a C9 and have the same yellow tint in exactly the same position. I would say for 50% of content I don't notice it at all. However anything involving snow or sky scenes together with panning of the camera and there yellow patch is very noticeable, even my wife sees it. I have an LG technician coming this week so fingers crossed it will be sorted out.

How did it go? I replaced my TV twice and had the same problems then I called LG to send a technician guy. He came and he had to do freaking 'VIDEO CHAT' with the headquater showing my TV screen OVER THE PHONE to get an approval to replace the panel. And the headquater guy said he cannot see the problem and dismissed the case.

WOW

I was like . seriously? Do you really believe a guy over a VIDEO CHAT can decide whether it's defective or not?
Then the technician says sorry but he cannot help. And the problem that I have seems very subjective to him. And he said if I am not happy with this small defect, I won't be happy with any other TVs in the market. What the fxxx?

WOW LG. I'm just speechless. This is my worst customer service experience.

Actually they never turned up when I thought they would as I misinterpreted the info... anyway I did get another call yesterday and the service guys turned up today with a new panel. I have to say it did take some convincing for them to swap it but they did and it’s much better. I only had a few minutes to check it over and I don’t think it’s perfect perfect but there’s nothing glaring wrong with it at first glance (not like the first panel whereby I noticed the yellow stripe almost immediately). So a keeper I think

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom