OLED with sun shining on backside, problem?

crazybird

Standard Member
Hi,

I just bought an LG A1 for 599£ (Super sale) and really happy since I previously had a cheap LCD panel.

As with the old tv it stands by the window and the sun shines on its backside in the morning.

My question is if this is a long time problem or not for an OLED. I’ve heard that sunlight directly on the panel is an issue but could not find anything about sunlight hitting the backside causing it to become quite hot.

image.jpg

woppy101

Distinguished Member
That will heat up the panel and cause blotches to appear, if that’s the only place you can put your TV it might have been better to get an LCD

Dorset Dave

I have had my LG E6 55" OLED in the same position as yours since 2016 without any problems. However I do have a net curtain which allows plenty of light into the room and helps protect against the sun shining onto the back of the TV.

mikej

Is that the only place you can put the TV ? Watching it during the day with the glare behind can't be easy and direct sun on the back will cause it to heat up considerably, which won't be good for the panel or internal components, especially when the TV is in use and generating it's own heat.

Two relevant bits of info from my Panasonic OLED's operating instructions are...
'Do not expose the TV to direct sunlight and other sources of heat' and 'Operating Conditions : 0 - 35 degC'. To give you an idea of how hot a sunny window-ledge can get in the summer, I had to move a digital weather station unit from my kitchen window-ledge because it would sometimes read 40 degrees plus when the sun shone on it !

If relocating the TV isn't an option, then I would definitely consider getting some blinds and/or keeping the curtain(s) partially drawn to reduce the effect of any direct sunlight. Vertical blinds might also help with the glare when watching during the day, while still allowing light to get through.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
That will heat up the panel and cause blotches to appear, if that’s the only place you can put your TV it might have been better to get an LCD
I don't think any LCD would have been better in that position. Both types of TV's usually have a manufacturer recommendation to keep out of direct sunlight due to heat issues.

crazybird

Standard Member
Thanks for all the answers. Unfortunately I can’t place the tv anywhere else in my small apartment so from what I understand, it would be a good idea to make sure sunlight won’t shine on the TV even if it’s from the back.

crazybird

Standard Member
Where did you get this for £599? Seems unfeasibly cheap.
Ye it was a crazy price reduction here in Sweden. The retailer is called Elgiganten and is one of the biggest home electronics retailers here. They dropped it to 799 in July but now went down to 599 for members. Felt it was such a great deal that I chose to upgrade.

Great TV btw.

fluxedman

I looked at that UV heat reduction film, not sure I can trust Amazon reviews exactly, personally I would put a thick chipboard bigger then the OLED back and create a stand for it with wood off cuts or you can of course buy tv legs like these :-

tv legs

obviously make sure its secure and won't go forward or backwards. Then touch the back of the TV after a few hours it should not be warm with any luck, basically you are blocking all the heat towards the back of the TV.

Obviously the above, is an macgyver job, but I could not see any TV cabinets or TV stands which house the entire TV inside it, closest I could see was a floating TV stand like this :-

LED-Backlit-Floating-TV-Stand-with-Bamboo-Wood-Wall-Panel-600x600.jpg

fluxedman

I just had another macgyver thought :laugh: , if you are really wanting a quick fix, add an thick board and just use metal hinge plates and screw onto your window cill edge, so basically just placing a thick board, between the window and back of TV. You can get pre painted MDF boards, white, black etc

crazybird

Standard Member
Something like this might work =)

Or much more overkill... KADRILJ Rullgardin, trådlös, batteridriven grå, 60x195 cm - IKEA combined with a light sensor that controls it through homebridge or something =P

fluxedman

That Desk Divider is pretty much the diy job I mentioned, good spotting!, except its very small, not unless you can find a bigger one to cover the entire back surface of the TV, id actually get one that is just bigger so it covers any extra sunshine just to be safe.

obviously you don't want see-through ones it must be a solid colour type material to block the sun shine, also another thing if its made from plastic it could melt, so keep that in mind. Proper solid wood can't be beat since it simply expands in the sun and shrinks in winter but wont melt.

They got partition ones also, perhaps too big though

Amazon product

5to1

Something permanent like the backing board would be best as it leaves less room for laziness kicking in :) Plus it would look better aesthetically and only obstruct the window a bit more then the TV.

But for a quick fix you could look for some pleated blinds like these:

I have some on my bi-fold doors. Provided your windows are beaded internally they are very easy to install (and remove). Top and bottom can be moved, so you can adjust them so they only cover enough of the window to protect the TV. And of course fully open when direct sunlight is not an issue.

On my Bifolds I do a similar thing when the Sun is very strong and I'm sitting at the table. Essentially cover enough of the window to block the direct sunlight, without having to obscure anything else.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom