OLED wear in/settle down time?

60hz

Novice Member
I am new to the world of OLED and have searched the forum and the internet but cannot find a definite answer to my question.

Is there is a settle in time for new OLEDs to achieve their optimal picture quality? Similar in the way that headphones and speakers can take a good 20+ hours to sound good.

greentg

I am new to the world of OLED and have searched the forum and the internet but cannot find a definite answer to my question.

Is there is a settle in time for new OLEDs to achieve their optimal picture quality? Similar in the way that headphones and speakers can take a good 20+ hours to sound good.
Headphones and speakers have moving parts which will become more flexible with use, thus "loosening" up the sound. So whilst it maybe possible that your TV will sound better after a period of time, due to this effect, in my personal experience, the TV itself does not appear to change in any noticable fashion over time.

There was a myth that you had to wait for 200 hours of use before having your TV calibrated, in order to allow the picture to bed in. However, I was told by a calibrator, that this was actually because if an electronic component was going to fail, it typically occurred within the first 200 hours of use. So, the delay was to minimise the risk of you having to pay twice to have your panel recalibrated, should it fail and need to be replaced. It had nothing to do with the screen needing to optimise over time.

Upvote 0

Jase

Distinguished Member
On the Panasonic OLED's there's a letter in front of the hours used which (as I understand it) indicates the panel has reached it's optimum brightness level (C).

It's A from 0-99 hours, B from 101-199 and then C 200+.

Upvote 0

60hz

Novice Member
Thanks. Is there a counter like that for the LG C1. Reason that I am asking is that I have some red/blue tinting depending on the viewing angle, including straight on. I was wondering if this would settle down.

Upvote 0

staffy 2

I find and others agree that they take a good 500 hours to settle in.Mine had grey borders on films even though everything’s was set up right.After 500 hours use those grey borders were pitch black and still are 4 years later.

Upvote 0

Jase

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Is there a counter like that for the LG C1. Reason that I am asking is that I have some red/blue tinting depending on the viewing angle, including straight on. I was wondering if this would settle down.

Not sure if the later LG's have one that is easy to access. On my E7 it has one in the service menu I believe.

The first panel in my E7 was badly tinted and never improved so was replaced under warranty (as I was outside the return window). If you're not happy with it then I'd ask for a replacement.

Upvote 0

deon444

Distinguished Member

Tint will always be the same,it never goes no matter how many hours on it.

If you're not happy with it then it's best to return it for another/refund ,or you will just 3nd up with buyers remorse.

I had a c1 to replace my cx but the cx turned out to have much better uniformity and less tint than the c1,so I returned the c1 instead.

Personally I don't think tvs shift that much other than the first few days with the first few compensation cycles where uniformity can change quite drastically. If you're not happy with a tv after a week then you never will be.

Upvote 0

Ayrton

Tint will always be the same,it never goes no matter how many hours on it.

If you're not happy with it then it's best to return it for another/refund ,or you will just 3nd up with buyers remorse.

I had a c1 to replace my cx but the cx turned out to have much better uniformity and less tint than the c1,so I returned the c1 instead.

Personally I don't think tvs shift that much other than the first few days with the first few compensation cycles where uniformity can change quite drastically. If you're not happy with a tv after a week then you never will be.
I'm new to oled and have just ordered a C1, should I be worried? The reviews I read had the C1 as a stunning TV, not much different from the CX but marginal improvements. Could what you have experienced be down to an individual panel?

Upvote 0

deon444

Distinguished Member
I'm new to oled and have just ordered a C1, should I be worried? The reviews I read had the C1 as a stunning TV, not much different from the CX but marginal improvements. Could what you have experienced be down to an individual panel?
Yes absolutely, panel to panel variances always comes into play when buying a tv. Even 2 tv's from the same batch can vary ,with one being a excellent panel and the other being total crap .

Don't worry too much about it ,more chance of getting a decent panel nowadays than getting a bad one, unlike a few years back.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom