• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

OLED vs QLED dilemma, please help!

swisscar

Novice Member
Moving to a new place and we need a larger TV, looking to buy a new one in 2-3 months. Initially I was planning to consider a 75"+ size, but sounds like the OLED option would not be in my budget of ~ 3K. I've done my research and know the pros and cons of each (viewing angle and contrast for QLED but better brightness), but still hesitating between Samsung QLED 75" Q9/Q8FN vs LG or Sony 65" OLED. I'm attaching a plan of the living room, as you see we need to rotate the TV slightly and viewing angle is not all straight from the sofa on the right, with a distance of around ~4m from each sofa. Which option would you go with in our case considering the distance and viewing angle? The living room is quite bright with two large sliding windows so getting light all day, though we mainly use the TV in the evenings.

Many thanks for the help!
Screenshot_20190226-081433.png

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
In Switzerland. Why? :)

Because Samsung release different models in different markets.

If the right hand seat on the two seater is in regular use then oled will probably be best. If not then the Samsung Q9FN, Q8DN and Sony XF9005 in 75” will be fine. They may be ok regardless, but it’s very subjective as to how the angles affect the viewer.

swisscar

Novice Member
Because Samsung release different models in different markets.

If the right hand seat on the two seater is in regular use then oled will probably be best. If not then the Samsung Q9FN, Q8DN and Sony XF9005 in 75” will be fine. They may be ok regardless, but it’s very subjective as to how the angles affect the viewer.

Thanks a lot, this is helpful. The right hand seat will be in regular use as well. Regarding the size, do you think 65" is fine in our room or better off with 75"? It's a question of paying for size vs viewing angle. I'm now upgrading from a small 46" TV, but I remember a month after I bought that I regretted not going with 55", so don't want to experience the same this time :)

And actually I was wrong about Q9FN as the 75" is more than $5K whereas Q8DN and Sony XF9005 are around ~$3K, so those two would fit. That limits options between these two in 75" vs OLED Sony A9F or LG B/C/G8 in 65".

thewhofan

Would the TV get direct sunlight in that position. There have been reports on this forum regarding OLED tv's and direct sunlight where the OLED screen has been affected causing marking / banding similar to screen burn. In most cases the TV's compensation cycle has cleared the problem but direct sun is probably best avoided if at all possible.

swisscar

Novice Member
Would the TV get direct sunlight in that position. There have been reports on this forum regarding OLED tv's and direct sunlight where the OLED screen has been affected causing marking / banding similar to screen burn. In most cases the TV's compensation cycle has cleared the problem but direct sun is probably best avoided if at all possible.
Not much direct sunlight so I think we should be fine.

Dodgexander

looking to buy a new one in 2-3 months.
Be careful when you buy, new TVs are coming out now and tend to cost 50% more than the models from the year before. If you buy at a set time and its the wrong time, you can spend more, for less.
between Samsung QLED 75" Q9/Q8FN
The Q8FN is the same performance as the Q7FN, the Q9FN is the model that is on the next level with HDR. In Europe its the Q8DN that is more similar to the Q9FN.

If you need viewing to look good on your secondary seating position there are no two ways about it, you need an OLED. Yes at 4m away 65..even 75"/77" is too small but the larger sizes are out of budget if going OLED.

So really you have to decide how important those seating positions are and how much that means to you versus a larger screen.

swisscar

Novice Member
Circling back on this thread, I've waited a few months and prices are now more reasonable with the new models out. Decided to go with a 65" OLED. After reading several reviews, I have narrowed down options to LG C8, Sony A8F and Sony A9F. First two almost same price while A9F is about $800 more expensive and not sure worth the extra money. Still looking for some expert tips here on which one to choose.

- TV mainly used for watching cable TV, Netflix, YouTube and TV series. No/rare gaming.
- We also watch a good chunk of non-HD content (SD).
- TV will be mounted on the wall and needs to be tilted for adjusting viewing angles from the sofa.
- I'll use external 5.1 speakers.

Many thanks!

lgans316

Distinguished Member
If you want best overall picture quality coupled with rich OS and feature set, then go for the LG 2019 OLEDs.

Dodgexander

The Sony AF8 is usually priced quite a bit more than the LG C8 and given your uses I'd suggest that is the better option.

Viewing angles on OLEDs are near perfect, I'd avoid having to mount and move the TV as its thin, light and fragile.

SD content I'd avoid any UHD TV, its really not good when some many pixels have to be made up from nothing. DVDs you may get away with, things like SD catch up TV or live SD TV will be very poor. The Sony's upscaling is praised but there is only so much you can do when you have to make up so many pixels from a poor source.

Biggest downside to the Sony is it only has 2x Full Bandwidth HDMI ports, the other 2 are HDMI v1.4 only and don't support UHD more than 30hz. If you have a HDMI connected sound system one of these is also taken up by the HDMI ARC of that system also...although if you use an older separate AV Receiver you can always upgrade that to an UHD/HDR compatible one also.

I chose the q9fn in the end. Only the sony has good enough motion for me but a crappy os and isn't bright enough. Have a 7yr old who I want to watch whatever she feels like without worrying about screen burn (true or not, mate has it bad)
Have bright room, and the q9fn almost hits oled blacks with a much brighter pic (not that ultimate blacks matters that much to me)
Price, reference standard review and a few other tricks made me choose the q9.

Last edited:

swisscar

Novice Member
I finally made my choice and I'm going with A9F, but just hesitating one last bit: I've found a good deal on a showroom model with price equal to A8F or C8. It's the last piece they have hence the discount. Is there any risk of buying a showroom model (it's been on the stage since last December)? Should I be cautious about anything or 8 months in showroom is not a big deal? This doesn't change the 2-year warranty as of today btw (or they can potentially extend it to 5y for a good additional price).

Dodgexander

I finally made my choice and I'm going with A9F, but just hesitating one last bit: I've found a good deal on a showroom model with price equal to A8F or C8. It's the last piece they have hence the discount. Is there any risk of buying a showroom model (it's been on the stage since last December)? Should I be cautious about anything or 8 months in showroom is not a big deal? This doesn't change the 2-year warranty as of today btw (or they can potentially extend it to 5y for a good additional price).
Inspect the TV with coloured slides to make sure there is no burn in, otherwise you're good.

The store should have taken care of it the correct way, by not repeat ably showing the same static logos or tickers, but there is always a risk.

Of course if they are a reputable outfit you can discuss the possibility of returning the TV if you do find it has any burn in.

Richdog

From my perspective no way would I buy an ex-showroom OLED that's been running constantly every day for 8 months on the same rolling demos. It could have some burn-in that you don't notice until you get it home and set up.

I just bought a 65" Samsung Q7FN and it is a stunning TV with the only downside that it can't pass through DTS audio (which only really matters if you download MKV's). For 1290chf I think it is amazing value and the OS is super slick... viewing angles are also fine unless you are really to the side. SAMSUNG QE65Q7FN (65inch, QLED, 3840 x 2160) - microspot.ch

In a couple of years technology will really change with the introduction of Micro LED so I recommend to buy something cheaper but still good now to keep you happy until then.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom