• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Oled vs LCD, size vs resolution and quality

Alcopoppa

Hi all. I was on the verge of finally purchasing a 65 inch LG Oled when I was forced to rearrange the living room. Instead of being about 1.75m from the TV I'm now about 4.3m.

According to various sites on the Web there is no point in getting a 4k TV resolution wise at this distance (either 65 or 75 inch ) , although other benefits eg picture quality and hdr would still make a different.

So my question is should I still go for the 65 inch oled for the picture quality benefits, or instead would I be better sacrificing some dynamic range and getting a bigger LCD such as the FALD Sony xf9005 in 75 inch and enjoying the perceived resolution boost?

And opinions or evidence much appreciated. Cheers

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
A bit here -
Size matters

Even 80”+ won’t make a difference regarding noticing the change in resolution. 75” XF9005 is a good option, similarly priced to 65” oleds. Depending on prices, Samsung Q8DN or Q9FN are good too, though i suspect the latter will be way over budget regardless of timing.

Alcopoppa

A bit here -
Size matters

Even 80”+ won’t make a difference regarding noticing the change in resolution. 75” XF9005 is a good option, similarly priced to 65” oleds. Depending on prices, Samsung Q8DN or Q9FN are good too, though i suspect the latter will be way over budget regardless of timing.
Thanks for the link that's really helpful :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom