Question OLED v LCD: Upscaling

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Turk, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Turk

Turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Quick question, what's the better uspcaler, OLED or LCD? Bearing in mind most virgin/sky channels are still broadcast in 720p or 1080i(?), and good FHD TV's are virtually unheard of now.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    The upscaling of all TV's now is pretty good. I don't personally rate one brand or tech better than the other. You may notice a difference between low and high end TV's.

In terms of which gives you the best quality between LCD and OLED I'm guessing if you care about upscaling your content is going to be mainly SDR, not HDR and OLED is going to make everything look better compared to an LCD. LCDs strengths at OLED price levels are mainly with HDR as they get brighter... And although they get brighter they still don't tend to be as good as OLEDs with HDR overall.

3. Turk

Turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I think right now most people's main content will be SDR just for lack of availability, but I do watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon prime content and will upgrade to premium why I buy. Gaming not so much but I'll have capable PlayStation before I have another TV. My main concern is when we do flick over to Virgin I want to be able to see the difference between Ross and Rachel in Friends. :D

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    Standard definition TV will look awful, so any of the non-HD TV channels will look poor on every UHD TV. If you compared a budget model to a flagship like the Sony ZD9 you may notice the ZD9 does a better job but with SD TV its really a case of just polishing a turd.

5. Turk

Turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    May as well just cancel my Virgin then since we only really watch comedy central and itv on it.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    I wouldn't be happy if I mainly watched sd TV with my UHD TV. I'd rather go back to my old fhd model.

7. Turk

Turk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm not sure about that. The screen burn and dse on my old Sammy is horrific.