OLED v 1080p

ABADGE

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Looking for some advise /help & know I'm in the right place ;)

Firstly my 2 set ups:

SET UP 1:
TV: Samsung UE55D8000YU
Input: Virgin TV V6
Virgin Video Output Setting: 1080p

SET UP 2:
TV: LG OLED77CX6LA
Input: Virgin TV V6
Virgin Video Output Setting: 2160p

OK. What I am finding is that whilst the LG is mind numbing in quality through content such as Netflix, iPlayer & downloaded content & completly outperforms the Samsung.

However, with standard HD content through the V6 box (Dave channel is a good example) the Samsung has a much crisper & better quality picture?

Is this normal & to be expected as I would have thought withthe upscaling the LG should be far superior?

Thanks in advance for your insight & comments :thumbsup:

Try Video Output Settings in 1080p and let the LG Oled TV do the upscaling.

Is this normal & to be expected as I would have thought with the upscaling the LG should be far superior?
Upscaling isn't going to improve the picture - the best it can hope to achieve is to minimise any potential quality drop to such an extent that it isn't noticeable.

All other things being equal, an upscaled 1080p image on a 4K screen is never going to be as good as one shown natively on a 1080p screen with 1:1 pixel mapping.

Saying that though, things are rarely equal and there are always going to be circumstances such as a 1080p picture looking better on a premium 4K OLED when compared to a cheap 1080p LCD, for example. In those circumstances though, there are other factors such as better brightness, improved contrast (etc) that may help to give the upscaled picture the edge.

Even as can look good on 4k screen..I played region 1 starship troopers 480, so BD player is scaling to 4k.

Looks amazing. The issue with crappy picture isn't resolution film quality, codec, and compression ratio.

The a team series looks great too

A 77 inch screen is actually 100% bigger in terms of area than the 55 inch so any lack of definition is significantly magnified

The larger the screen the more it will reveal the low bitrate content deficiencys. 1080i and 1080p content looks better on my 65 A90j than I've seen on any other 1080p screen I've had or viewed . I don't subscribe to the idea that 1080p will always look better on a 1080p panel .

Thats dissapointing from a market place point. So you are saying if your cable provider maximum quility is HD, then the 4k / OLED / UHD tv's etc. are a waste of money for this content?
I would have thought that a 4k OLED at 77" could handle 1080p & at least be the same as a 55" 1080 tv?

1080i free view here on NZ looks great on my A90j, better than I've seen it.

Can't fault the LG OLED on UHD content or blu-ray, its just standard HD from the V6 box where the Samsung seems crisper.

It maybe that the Samsung is LED that it deals with the 1080 content better.

Yes, LCD is a very different technology to OLED so differences are to be expected.

As mentioned above though, the big difference in screen size between your two set-ups will also be a big factor in how sharp a 1080p image will look - this was something I'd overlooked when I posted above.

Yes, LCD is a very different technology to OLED so differences are to be expected.

As mentioned above though, the big difference in screen size between your two set-ups will also be a big factor in how sharp a 1080p image will look - this was something I'd overlooked when I posted above.
No probs bud, appreciate the input 👌

It maybe that the Samsung is LED that it deals with the 1080 content better.

Completely normal, have 2 V6 boxes via Samsung 2015 and 2021 LED 4K TVs and also used to watch another V6 off an LG CX oled, LED tvs handle low quality TV stuff just better, some like to call it a more natural flow or natural response which I can see since its soft and hides all the rubbish that tags along with HD streams.

Once you flick over to an 4K channel like BTsports 4K and then watch on the LG OLED, you immediately want all the channels to be in 4K!

I think give it time, it takes a bit of time for the brain and eyes to adjust to OLED but its worth it in the long run.

Completely normal, have 2 V6 boxes via Samsung 2015 and 2021 LED 4K TVs and also used to watch another V6 off an LG CX oled, LED tvs handle low quality TV stuff just better, some like to call it a more natural flow or natural response which I can see since its soft and hides all the rubbish that tags along with HD streams.

Once you flick over to an 4K channel like BTsports 4K and then watch on the LG OLED, you immediately want all the channels to be in 4K!

I think give it time, it takes a bit of time for the brain and eyes to adjust to OLED but its worth it in the long runT

I think give it time, it takes a bit of time for the brain and eyes to adjust to OLED but its worth it in the long run.
Mate you just nailed it

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom