OLED use as a desktop monitor

csm1977

Novice Member
I am looking for an OLED TV to use as a pc monitor. Is there any issues with that, regarding the risk of burn-in, because of the static element of the desktop interface? On my led tv , I left the tv open after Im finished to use it, but my Sony tv it closed itself after 15 min. I do this a few times per day.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Oled tv and pc monitor are two sentences that should never be put together. Period.
Only exception I can think of is the use of some Oled for gaming...but for normal computer work...I don’t recommend.
Keep safe

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your response. I wanted to use the OLED only for movie streaming
In that case, should not be a problem I guess.

JustTheFacts

I am looking for an OLED TV to use as a pc monitor. Is there any issues with that, regarding the risk of burn-in, because of the static element of the desktop interface? On my led tv , I left the tv open after Im finished to use it, but my Sony tv it closed itself after 15 min. I do this a few times per day.
2018 and newer OLEDs are Burn In resistant for every type of reasonable usage.

Last edited:

gbjbaanb

This guy bought on for his desktop use. Loved it, raved about it, absolutely dreamt of it.

and then... found it was giving him headaches. He thinks it was because it was too close (so I say - buy a stand and put it some distance away), but it could be other issues due to watching something so big so close up, or quite likely - way too bright for a close-up display.

Other youtubers have tried and use the 48" TV a s a monitor and like it, but just be aware of your environment if you bought one for this.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your response. I wanted to use the OLED only for movie streaming

For videos your fine just make sure you play them full screen.
  • use ISF expert bright or dark room preset on TV
  • in GPU control panel set RGB dynamic range to limited 16-235

If you do want to use it as a monitor for desktop usage you might want to make a number of changes to reduce risk of burn in given a PC has a lot of static UI elements.
  • auto hide the task bar
  • set screen saver on short timer
  • switch os and apps to dark mode
  • avoid using icons on the desktop and/or use video wallpaper via wallpaper engine
  • lower OLED light level to 28 in picture settings.

That really only applies if your using the PC regularly every day for desktop usage, if not then just set screensaver on short timer.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom