OLED TV worth buying if I only have an aerial (UK)

Fred Flinstone

Novice Member
Hi, sorry I am not that technically gifted but I have been saving ages to buy a pretty future proof TV. They have come on so much with 3D, 4K, Curved screens with varying degrees of success or failure.

For me, personally watching 95% TV and 5% gaming, I think the current OLED TV's are about as future proof as I can get.

They are obviously very dear, for me, but I think I need to commit to something.

My issue that really needs the advice and opinions of you experts is :

IS AN OLED TV TOO GOOD, or OVER THE TOP for what I need ?

I do NOT have any streaming devices, No SKY, Netflix, Amazon prime. I simply have a freeview aerial and a Humax digibox. PS4 for gaming. This honestly does me and I can fill my days with TV just from freeview.

For the signal quality I receive, I do get HD channels, is an expensive OLED TV too much overkill ?

I am not made of money, but I have saved up, |'ve seen the beautiful pictures in electronic shops, the pixel perfect images on show from OLED, but I also realise I am watching a recorded blue ray image, I cannot find an answer as to what quality image I will get just through an aerial.

Please help, is OLED worth it for me, or what else would you suggest ? I am very astute to image quality, I kept an old CRT for as long as I could as that image quality was better than flat screen of that era.

Thank you

dan8204

I think you would be better off with a sony tv of some sort as their upscaling is the best, cant say anything about if oled is overkill for you but if it was me I wouldn't buy an oled based on what you watch, maybe others who only watch freeview will have a better opinion.

mikej

If you want the very best image quality, then OLED is definitely the way to go no matter what you watch. I caught the end of Eurovision on BBC One HD on my Panasonic OLED last night and the picture quality was stunning. Every guest who has watched my TV has commented on just how good the picture looks, totally unprompted by me.

The thing to bear in mind though is that if you only have access to Freeview's limited number of HD channels and aren't likely to be getting access to a lot of HD or 4K/HDR content from the likes of Netflix/Prime or a UHD Blu-ray player, then you won't be getting the best from a capable 4K/HDR screen as it's good quality HD and 4K content that really makes an OLED shine.

Another issue that is particularly important if you're currently watching plenty of SD on Freeview (and one which applies no matter what type of 4K screen you buy) is that a 4K screen is only getting around 5% of the picture information it needs in order to display an SD picture, so screen size, viewing distance and the upscaling ability of the TV need to be carefully considered. What are you watching Freeview on at the moment (HD Ready or Full HD ? LCD or plasma ?) and what is your viewing distance ?

mikej

One other thing to mention if you're intending on only sticking with Freeview for your HD viewing is that the Freeview multiplex carrying 6 of the HD channels (COM7) is due to be switched off by the end of June this year so the future of those channels is currently uncertain.

The affected channels are BBC Four HD, BBC News HD, Quest HD, CBeebies HD and a couple of QVC channels (plus around 9 other SD channels). Hopefully at least some of the HD channels will be reallocated but I don't think any announcements have been made yet.

On a more positive note, do you make use of the Freeview streaming services ? The BBC have actually trialled a small number of shows in 4K on iPlayer and they looked fantastic, so hopefully this is a good indication of their intent for the future.

Fred Flinstone

Novice Member
If you want the very best image quality, then OLED is definitely the way to go no matter what you watch. I caught the end of Eurovision on BBC One HD on my Panasonic OLED last night and the picture quality was stunning. Every guest who has watched my TV has commented on just how good the picture looks, totally unprompted by me.

The thing to bear in mind though is that if you only have access to Freeview's limited number of HD channels and aren't likely to be getting access to a lot of HD or 4K/HDR content from the likes of Netflix/Prime or a UHD Blu-ray player, then you won't be getting the best from a capable 4K/HDR screen as it's good quality HD and 4K content that really makes an OLED shine.

Another issue that is particularly important if you're currently watching plenty of SD on Freeview (and one which applies no matter what type of 4K screen you buy) is that a 4K screen is only getting around 5% of the picture information it needs in order to display an SD picture, so screen size, viewing distance and the upscaling ability of the TV need to be carefully considered. What are you watching Freeview on at the moment (HD Ready or Full HD ? LCD or plasma ?) and what is your viewing distance ?
Thank you for your honest opinion.
My current TV is a Panasonic TX-L32G20B which is 12 years old, LCD, full HD 1080
32 inch was OK for a long time, but as I get older and a room revamp has increased my viewing distance I feel 48 inch will do me.
I currently sit around 14-15 feet from the screen.

I have had a long time to save as the screen actually did me quite well, bit pixelated close up but at my distance it was fine.

I have a PS4 which I think has a blue ray player, I also have an Amazon firestick (not the 4k version at the moment) which I use for some items which do not require subscription fees to watch.

My streaming habits may change in the future, so I do not really want to get a TV that will need to be updated again, that is why I have saved for a future proof TV and I consider the OLED to be pretty perfect for me. Cannot see what can better it TBH in real life situations.

I do my recording through a Humax FVP-4000T which transmits at 1080i/p (obviously when it itself receives a HD signal) Though this could be updated to their Aura system at 2160p at some point. Again this would need the Amazon firestick 4k.

I realise things will change in the way I receive my signal, hence the wish for a 'perfect' TV which hopefully will not need changing for a while.

I will still watch a large amount of SD I presume, so on the upscaling issue, is the Panasonic any better than the LG (in general)

Gersfan

Thank you for your honest opinion.
My current TV is a Panasonic TX-L32G20B which is 12 years old, LCD, full HD 1080
32 inch was OK for a long time, but as I get older and a room revamp has increased my viewing distance I feel 48 inch will do me.
I currently sit around 14-15 feet from the screen.

I have had a long time to save as the screen actually did me quite well, bit pixelated close up but at my distance it was fine.

I have a PS4 which I think has a blue ray player, I also have an Amazon firestick (not the 4k version at the moment) which I use for some items which do not require subscription fees to watch.

My streaming habits may change in the future, so I do not really want to get a TV that will need to be updated again, that is why I have saved for a future proof TV and I consider the OLED to be pretty perfect for me. Cannot see what can better it TBH in real life situations.

I do my recording through a Humax FVP-4000T which transmits at 1080i/p (obviously when it itself receives a HD signal) Though this could be updated to their Aura system at 2160p at some point. Again this would need the Amazon firestick 4k.

I realise things will change in the way I receive my signal, hence the wish for a 'perfect' TV which hopefully will not need changing for a while.

I will still watch a large amount of SD I presume, so on the upscaling issue, is the Panasonic any better than the LG (in general)
No tv is overkill but there's apps on the TV pike BBC iplayer which has some 4k hdr and stv Player.. my5 etc all free to watch .. only thing I'd say (I own an LG cx 55 inch OLED) THEY are like a mirror so can be quite reflective ..you can buy the 55 inch C1 oled now for £869 WITH 5 years guarantee..I'm thinking of going for a Samsung QN94A neo qled 50 inch for £569 it has anti glare screen etc no burn in risk

TarMoo

Get a 55in OLED TV. You soon get used to the size. My previous TV was a Panasonic 42in plasma.

You get a lot of apps on a modern smart TV including iPlayer. I have a freeview indoor Ariel connected to my Panasonic OLED TV. I mostly watch Netflix and Viki via an Apple TV 4K box. My wife likes Korean dramas.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
@Fred Flinstone - you sit 14-15 feet away from your TV - that's bigger than my room! A 32" TV must feel like viewing a postage stamp from that distance!

Just my opinion - I wouldn't recommend anything less than 65" for your viewing distance. You want scale and impact and not to be squinting at subtitles!

How much have you saved up? Have you done any research so far for models and prices?

OLED is not overkill for your needs. I also solely use Freeview through an aerial and the HD channels are good, some of the SD ones decidedly less so, but I still have plenty of DVD's and they look fine.

I also use a PS4, solely as a gaming machine, not a disc player as I have a separate Blu-Ray player, and that also looks pretty good.

Of the current crop, Sony have a good reputation for SD upscaling, as does Philips. I use an old 65" Panasonic OLED (2016) and am still regularly surprised at how good the picture looks. As a comparison, my workplace has a 55" Sony LCD/LED and it's nowhere near as good as my TV, even though it's only two years' old.

The motion is a lot worse, it doesn't go as dark, the colours aren't as accurate and I wouldn't use that as my everyday TV given a choice. In my opinion, OLED is superior in key areas and it's no contest about which is better.

Kapkirk

At first, I wondered why I bothered to spend £2.3K on my Panasonic OLED, as like you I watched mainly poor quality TV channels, I do however have a good Blu-Ray player and recently subscribed to Netflix but most of the time I still watch TV, BUT, when you DO watch a movie in 4K dolby vision from netflix or watch movies from my Blu-Ray player I am blown away by the picture quality and it makes it worth every penny, I really don't think I would be as happy with a cheaper LED TV.
I had Plasma TV before and like you kept it for 12 years and was reluctant to buy a new OLED TV but the only way to go after Plasma is OLED especially if you want the absolute best picture quality. As long as you can get a good price on the new OLED I think you will not regret it.
If you have a fast Broadband connection you can experience some of what the TV is capable of by watching some of the 4/8K demo's available on youtube, especially the night walk through Tokyo at christmas, stunning!

Fred Flinstone

Novice Member
@Fred Flinstone - you sit 14-15 feet away from your TV - that's bigger than my room! A 32" TV must feel like viewing a postage stamp from that distance!

Just my opinion - I wouldn't recommend anything less than 65" for your viewing distance. You want scale and impact and not to be squinting at subtitles!

How much have you saved up? Have you done any research so far for models and prices?

OLED is not overkill for your needs. I also solely use Freeview through an aerial and the HD channels are good, some of the SD ones decidedly less so, but I still have plenty of DVD's and they look fine.

I also use a PS4, solely as a gaming machine, not a disc player as I have a separate Blu-Ray player, and that also looks pretty good.

Of the current crop, Sony have a good reputation for SD upscaling, as does Philips. I use an old 65" Panasonic OLED (2016) and am still regularly surprised at how good the picture looks. As a comparison, my workplace has a 55" Sony LCD/LED and it's nowhere near as good as my TV, even though it's only two years' old.

The motion is a lot worse, it doesn't go as dark, the colours aren't as accurate and I wouldn't use that as my everyday TV given a choice. In my opinion, OLED is superior in key areas and it's no contest about which is better.
I have saved up around £900, as stated I haven't bought a TV for ages.
Honestly the current TV has never bothered me before size wise, I suppose if you've never had a big TV you cannot miss it, I have rejigged some furniture which puts me a couple of feet further away, and the rest I blame on my older eyes :)

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I have saved up around £900, as stated I haven't bought a TV for ages.
Honestly the current TV has never bothered me before size wise, I suppose if you've never had a big TV you cannot miss it, I have rejigged some furniture which puts me a couple of feet further away, and the rest I blame on my older eyes :)
If you've got £900, then if you're going OLED only Hisense offers TV's in that price range, I believe?

Or you could go secondhand. I wouldn't worry about that unduly as lots of people do look after their TV's, and with the regular refresh cycle by manufacturers people often "upgrade" to a new model when there's nothing wrong with their current TV.

But do consider 65" as a minimum, you won't regret it.

gibbletts

Lg c1 55 inch can be had for £899 at the minute which is an excellent deal, you may not use streaming services at the minute but it might be something that interests you later.

Fred Flinstone

Novice Member
If you've got £900, then if you're going OLED only Hisense offers TV's in that price range, I believe?

Or you could go secondhand. I wouldn't worry about that unduly as lots of people do look after their TV's, and with the regular refresh cycle by manufacturers people often "upgrade" to a new model when there's nothing wrong with their current TV.

But do consider 65" as a minimum, you won't regret it.
I'm only going 48 inch, thank you, personally thats a ridiculous size for my lounge.
Philips are £899 with ambient light which I dont want
LG C1 are £870
LG A1 are £600
Panasonic JZ £960 hoping for that one to come down

Gersfan

I'm only going 48 inch, thank you, personally thats a ridiculous size for my lounge.
Philips are £899 with ambient light which I dont want
LG C1 are £870
LG A1 are £600
Panasonic JZ £960 hoping for that one to come down
I'd like the Panasonic but they are too dear im very tempted by the C1 price as a second tv

Gersfan

Lg c1 55 inch can be had for £899 at the minute which is an excellent deal, you may not use streaming services at the minute but it might be something that interests you later.
John Lewis doing the 55 inch for £899 plus £100 gift card if you join the John Lewis club which is totally free

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom