Answered OLED TV in sunlight - Is it a problem?

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Shaunster, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Shaunster

Shaunster
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      How much of a problem is this, TV has to go in corner of our room, looking at a 65" model. Room gets some sunlight in afternoons and has windows both ends, its a big bright room, although the screen would be facing inwards away from the window some sunlight and reflections will fall on the screen.

Currently have a samsung 55 HU8500. Please dont hate my curves haha.

Unsure which OLED to get, or whether to even go with something else. Panasonic 65EZ952B looks good now at £3k, or theres the new Sony A8F although android TV is a big turn off on that one. Or maybe even wait and get a Samsung Q9 but thats a bit above what I want to spend.

2. Best Answer:
      Post #6 by d10brp, Apr 13, 2018 (1 points)
    3. drdocmatt

drdocmatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +283
      Yes direct sunlight can damage the panel with the UV and heat. Most people report it's like an image retention issue but I've heard one or two folks say it can be permanent.

4. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,105
      Irrespective of sunlight damage, you room and environment seems a prone candidate for a q9 if it leaves up to the hype.

5. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +741
      You're not meant to get direct sunlight on an LCD TV either. UV light and semi conductors = bad

6. Shaunster

Shaunster
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Its not much sunlight, but I guess OLED is a no go then. Never had a problem with LCD TVs, I know if I buy an OLED now I will just worry some sunlight will damage it.

7. d10brp

d10brp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +750
      Best Answer
      If the sun would shine directly on to the screen, we’ve seen some OLED screens have some temporary darker patches appear, so best avoid. That said, as others have mentioned, you shouldn’t allow sunlight to get into direct contact with an LCD either.

I think your main question was really about whether OLEDs only work in a dark room, a weird myth I’ve seen do the rounds. In short, I’d be surprised if the OLED wasn’t as bright, or brighter, than your current LCD. I also have a room with windows either side, so plenty of light coming in, and I have my daytime OLED light set to 66 out of 100, so plenty of headroom.

The OLEDs have a fairly effective anti-reflection coating but I hear the new Samsung anti-reflection coating this year is excellent.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    8. DT79

DT79

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +128
      Speaking from experience the idea that an OLED is unsuitable to be used in a bright room is a complete fallacy, I assure you it will go more than bright enough (and as was mentioned earlier, undoubtedly brighter than any ‘older’ TV of any technology).

The real issue I face with a 2016 OLED is the reflectivity of the screen. It’s so reflective that if the sun is shining in and falling on the opposite end of the room, then the reflections on the screen can make any dark scenes pretty much unwatchable. For casual TV/sport etc it’s fine, but I just wouldn’t even attempt to do any ‘serious’ watching on a sunny day, even with the curtains crossed, and that does bug me I have to admit. But that’s less about the TV technology and more about the fact that the screen is made of glass.

I hear that newer models are less reflective, but I would still be mindful of it.

9. Shaunster

Shaunster
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Thanks for that, I know all about reflections having a curved TV.

I have been out this morning looking at the OLEDs and other TVs, to be very honest the OLED did not stand out to me as being amazing, going by the comments on here and elsewhere I was expecting to be blown away but that was not the case!

10. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +741
      Where were you looking? Curry’s or somewhere with a properly setup TV in a demo room?

11. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +594
      Where did you see it and what was being displayed on it?

If in Curry's with their typical demo reel, I would have to agree, OTOH try to get to view it properly in a more home-like demo room on a decently setup picture mode if possible.

Mine (LG B7V) is in a well lit room and with bright content (news, sport etc) then average scene brightness seems as bright as anything else I have had. OTOH I wouldn't really watch an 'artfully dark' episodes in DV on it in such conditions - it doesn't really matter what TV you have, they such content tends to be too dark to watch in a bright room anyway.

As for reflections, then yes you will see dim reflections of brightly lit objects on dark parts of the screen (or when it is off) but actually the anti-reflective coating on this model seems very good. Even so, I would still suggest that you should switch off lights that could reflect in screen if you want the best viewing - same as any TV really, its just that as these can do true black, then its more important to get the very best out of them whereas with an LCD and its dim grey it generally matter less.

Once you have an environment that is dim enough to stand dark content (DV episodes, HDR movies etc), then that is where it really starts to come into it own. It is especially nice watching a movie in cinema like darkness as no grey bars above an below - just black. Also my wife often stretches out on the other sofa which is about 40deg viewing angle and of course color and brightness are still the same as central viewing whereas with some LCDs you can be getting a significant drop off in color saturation and/or brightness.

In general I find it perfectly good for watching TV in all normal conditions, however you get the added plus of it being very well suited to projector like cinematic conditions as well.

12. Shaunster

Shaunster
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Just Currys and John Lewis. The Sony A1 looked best to me, but the stand is awful, perhaps the new A8F could be interesting, sunlight issue aside.

13. DT79

DT79

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +128
      I wasn’t commenting on the picture quality, but don’t get me wrong, it’s amazing. No regrets. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another. I’ll never go back to LCD.

You can only judge at home, set up well. Even better calibrated.

14. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,768
      Unless you have the sun shining directly onto the TV, OLED doesn’t have a problem with light rooms
      I have 2 walls that are all windows and we’ve not had any issues. Bloody hell we are talking about 750 nits OLED TVs where once we had 150 nit LCDs! Just because we have 1800 nit LCDs doesn’t mean the OLED struggles. Far from it.

15. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,091
      Normal glass stops UV dead. Try getting a suntan in a glass greenhouse :)

It's lack of screen brightness that's the issue.

16. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +741
      Go and speak to the users who have had to run clear panel noise to get rid of UV effects. There’s at least 2 on here that I know off. Parry was one, I forget the other.

17. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,091
      And your proof it's down to UV ?

UV A is completely blocked by normal glass, UV B gets through, but all modern double glazing has a metallic coating designed to reflect infra red back into the room to save energy. Like coated sunglasses and reactolite lens they both stop UV B.

If UV is an issue how hard can it be to fit a UV blocking coating to a oled screen.

I can accept it might be an issue if used in say a conservatory with a plastic roof or outdoors or in a tanning booth :).

Did you check what conditions the 2 users affected were using the sets ?

In an ordinary room with modern double glazing it sounds like a very unlikely explanation.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    18. drdocmatt

drdocmatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +283
      Stops "most" UV. Go ahead and try it on your £3k TV if you're not convinced...

19. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,091
      I don't have a oled TV. I have a lcd, led back lit. It's the complete lack of any scientific analysis I am commenting on. Suggest you look up UV A and UV B transmission.

According to this threads that's also dangerous to these TV's as well. My TV get's direct sunlight on sunny mornings. It's never physically affected any of them, though it does make it hard to watch darker scenes.

I take it if you have a oled and the manual tells you not to put it anywhere the sun can shine through a window onto the screen ?

UV light is dangerous for people with cateracts, they have to wear UV blocking spectacles outside.

Never seen any one told to wear them indoors.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    20. punkymunky

punkymunky

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +170
      My living room has triple aspect windows so I know where you are coming from. I have also had 3 A1 OLEDS. OLED is great in a bright room, better than my 1400 nit Sony XE due to its screen filter. However the Panasonic you mention has the older magenta coloured filter which you will hate as it looks like a pink mirror. When sun light fell on my OLED screen, it did stain it temporarily and I think prolonged direct sunlight could be an issue. The new Samsung QF9 would be a good option as it has a great filter and brightness or the 2018 Panasonic or Sony AF8 - Android is not that bad, you can always plug in an Apple TV.

21. drdocmatt

drdocmatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +283
      As you said, some UV gets through glass, so where's the debate? Whether it's UV or heat, people have suffered damage to their oled panels from sunlight, much like people used to have issues with CRTs and plasmas decaying under bright incident sunlight. LCDs are more stable but by no means totally immune to the absolute worst scenarios.

Secondly almost no displays can produce enough light to overwhelm incoming sunlight hitting the screen, but almost no-one wants to watch TV like that so they tend to arrange their rooms to avoid it.

I have no axe to grind here. My TV has its back to the window and I tend to only watch it in a dark room with the curtains closed...

22. Shaunster

Shaunster
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Well certainly some interesting thoughts. I am not talking about baking my TV in the sun, but I cannot avoid a little sunlight in either of the 2corners where I can put the TV. Fireplace dictates where TV must go.

23. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +741
      Then buy a cover or thin sheet to go over it or do what I do and angle vertical blinds so the sun can’t get to it.

24. Shaunster

Shaunster
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Blinds are a non starter for us, and im not prepared to babysit the TV with covers and such.

25. Shaunster

Shaunster
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      I have seen this morning at Richer sounds OLED (LG B7) next to a Sony XE9005. Same size displaying same TV program, I can see now why the OLED is so loved, the colour was so much more vibrant the Sony looked washed out next to it.

26. drdocmatt

drdocmatt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +283
      This story is repeated everywhere. LCD looks grey, desaturated, compared to high contrast displays. Colour vibrancy has been lacking from TV viewing since the CRT died out.

27. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +481
      UV aside, have a TV in direct sun regardless of LCD/OLED is not a good idea. The internal temperatures on a hot sunny day are going to reduce it's life expectancy.

I know my computer monitor is rated top operating temp. of 40c and temp. in my mum green house have passed that when the vents have not been opened. So my guess is a tv working in direct sunlight is going to get very stressed.

28. Roku2

Roku2
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,478
      Oled is a panel for AV enthusiasts who have a dedicated man cave with thousands of dollars invested in it. The least you should do is have a light controlled room and only use Oled in very dark room

29. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +741
      It works fine in a bright room, you just need to avoid sunlight falling directly on it. As you do with any current TV. The warnings are in all the manuals.

30. Shaunster

Shaunster
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Well, decision made and I have gone with the Samsung. They had one on display in Richer sounds in a demo room.

31. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,768
      Well done, go and enjoy the set and don’t ever look back :thumbsup: