OLED to QLED - who switched

crackazz99

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking to upgrade my LG OLED B6 (2016) ass the panel is starting to go a bit orange on one side of the screen and starting to see minor screen burn creep in (crop film bars top/btm) so wondering what others have bought coming from an OLED.

I went to OLED after many years with 1st a Panasonic plasma then a Pioneer Kuro plasma .. I really didn't get on with LCD panels in the past which is why I went OLED. That was quite a few years back and things have moved on and in the shop they look good but in the home is a different thing.

Main issue for me is my viewing habits have changed somewhat with the kids getting older watching films on disney+ (4k HDR) all the time and gaming (switch etc) which has starting having an impact with image retention. :(

I'm a little worried it'll be more the same a few years down the line if I drop £2k for another OLED so tempted with going for a Samsung QN95A QLED but think I'll miss those inky blacks and awesome images you get with the OLEDs

who's in/been in the same position and what did you do? any regrets ?

I'm thinking the same as you. I had bad burn in on my C8 77" but after a bit of a fight i did get a replacement from D&G ins with a brand new CX 77" which up to now is behaving itself so far.
Not sure of what i would go for if this one goes tits up but i have my eye on the Samsung QE85QN95A
I've not seen one in the flesh but would be interested if anyone has gone from oled to one of those.

I'm thinking the same as you. I had bad burn in on my C8 77" but after a bit of a fight i did get a replacement from D&G ins with a brand new CX 77" which up to now is behaving itself so far.
Not sure of what i would go for if this one goes tits up but i have my eye on the Samsung QE85QN95A
I've not seen one in the flesh but would be interested if anyone has gone from oled to one of those.

Been there done that. Unfortunately I had occasional video drop outs with the XSX (every couple of days) and regular audio drop outs (every couple of hours). Not alone either with numerous other similar reports. And its been months with no firmware update from Samsung to address. Avoid at this time.

I've been looking to upgrade my LG OLED B6 (2016) ass the panel is starting to go a bit orange on one side of the screen and starting to see minor screen burn creep in (crop film bars top/btm) so wondering what others have bought coming from an OLED.

I went to OLED after many years with 1st a Panasonic plasma then a Pioneer Kuro plasma .. I really didn't get on with LCD panels in the past which is why I went OLED. That was quite a few years back and things have moved on and in the shop they look good but in the home is a different thing.

Main issue for me is my viewing habits have changed somewhat with the kids getting older watching films on disney+ (4k HDR) all the time and gaming (switch etc) which has starting having an impact with image retention. :(

I'm a little worried it'll be more the same a few years down the line if I drop £2k for another OLED so tempted with going for a Samsung QN95A QLED but think I'll miss those inky blacks and awesome images you get with the OLEDs

who's in/been in the same position and what did you do? any regrets ?

Considered it before my first OLED and again before grabbing my current one a few months back.

Having spent too much time staring at TV's in shops, my opinion was the top FALD TV's are very very good. Problem is that's been hard to do in the current climate due to lockdown and not so many TV's on display. Pre-Lockdown, Harrods used to be a great place to check out TV's as they were one of the few stores with low level lighting, rather then retina burning shop lighting (may have changed). If you can, try and find a store where you can appraise them at lighting close to your viewing environment or somewhere with a very good returns policy.

In the end I stuck with OLED as my critical viewing is with the lights off in the evening and my first set was 65" the current one 77". Also I dont game/etc and the kids have their own TV/Tablets for most of their viewing, so just use main TV for Cartoons/Films/etc rather then Youtube.

Whilst the top FALDS are very good, at larger screen sizes the number of zones don't increase proportionally therefore artefacts are more apparent. I'd suggest trying to demo a set in the size you want if possible, or do some research to check how many zones it has compared to the size you manage to demo.

If i'd been going for a 55", prices had been better (the top FALDs are as much or more) and the kids used the TV a lot more, it would have been a closer call.

thanks for the responses! current OLED is a 55" and looking at moving up to a 65". I can get a really good deal through work which brings the QLED down to £1750 so being tempted but really would prefer to get from JL as I have done in the past for all my TVs, from my history they have great customer service.

thanks for the responses! current OLED is a 55" and looking at moving up to a 65". I can get a really good deal through work which brings the QLED down to £1750 so being tempted but really would prefer to get from JL as I have done in the past for all my TVs, from my history they have great customer service.
That's interesting to hear about John Lewis, my impression from other comments hasn't been so good. Have they always been good in terms of delivery and importantly, with returns regarding tv's?

For me yes .. when switching from penny to pioneer after over a year still getting a massive refund to put towards the pioneer and again with a Sony led to replace Kuro which was awful and getting the LG oled.

that discount is pretty impressive but still thinking oled 😖

After the QN95A simply not being where it needs to be software wise. I'm considering the Z9J.

Btw there was another downside to the QN95A. For gaming there is no way to change the scan/zoom to just scan and not 16:9. So the picture is always partially zoomed in. You know the setting you get on the LG OLED's where by you can adjust the Just Scan option? Samsung doesnt have that... just something I thought I'd mention.

I went from a Panasonic plasma to a LG 55" B6 oled( horizontal lines on screen) to a LG 55" C8 ( screen started blinking then went black) to 65" Samsung Q95T and i´m happy with it.

I switched from OLED to "QLED" (or more precisely Full-Array-Local-Dimming). I had an LG OLED 55" B7 which developed "burn-in" marks after 2-3 years. I would have considered staying with OLED if LG would have shown some goodwill and would have replaced my TV panel for a reasonable price, especially since I bought and registered 4 LG TVs in the past 5 years online.

But the opposite happend: LG's customer support tried to shake me off several time - either by not responding or by forwarding me to LG repair service partner or by hanging the phone up on me. The LG repair service partner told me that it's my "fault for buying an OLED TV and not expecting burn-in since the TV panel is made of organic components". They were asking 1050 Euros to replace the TV panel. That's 2/3 of the price I paid for the device.

Around May this year I decided to sell the LG OLED TV and I bought the Sony 55" XH9505 (1000 Euros) which is similar to the Samsung's QLED: it has a VA panel and full-array-local-dimming. While the HDR image quality is not as great as an OLED, I'm still very happy with the new TV. The colors look more natural, HDR is decent and I don't have to worry about permanent image retention. Also the built-in speakers on the Sony sound much better than the ones in the LG OLED.

Last edited:
I think the pre-2019 (or 2018?) OLEDs were more prone to burn-in than later models. Over recent years LG Display and the various TV brands have introduced pixel shifting, logo dimming and now the 'Evo panel' which all help to reduce the risk - plus of course the heatsinks on some flagship models.

I have the LG CX and the Sony XH95 but the CX does edge the LED due to far better viewing angles

Isn’t the evo panel only in the g1? Quite pricey for a 65” screen
It's in the A90J, G1, some C1s (but their performance is gimped), possibly some of the large A80Js too.

EDIT: I understand that all of LG Display's lines at Paju and Guangzhou will be converted to the Evo panel by early next year. So I imagine all the mid-range & above models (C series upwards) will get the Evo from 2022 with the old panels restricted to the A and B series until stock runs out).

Last edited:
I think the pre-2019 (or 2018?) OLEDs were more prone to burn-in than later models. Over recent years LG Display and the various TV brands have introduced pixel shifting, logo dimming and now the 'Evo panel' which all help to reduce the risk - plus of course the heatsinks on some flagship models.

This is said most years, but seems to be it just that it takes 2-3 years for the newer OLED's to start to develop burn in. The day the manufacturers don't exclude burn in from their warranty is the day we can trust the newer tech is going to work.

This is said most years, but seems to be it just that it takes 2-3 years for the newer OLED's to start to develop burn in. The day the manufacturers don't exclude burn in from their warranty is the day we can trust the newer tech is going to work.
It will be interesting to see if LG increase their 5yr warranty (2-5yr covers screen only) across their OLED range. Although it will also be interesting to see how they handle burn-in and whether they still try and wriggle out of it (seeing that they state they cover burn-in now). But their new guarantee (on their top series) still states that you have to pay for the labour (if the screen needs replacing), whatever that will cost!? But it's a start I guess.

Last edited:
I didn't switch, but I have a 2017 OLED still going strong and a Samsung qn94a. I use them for different things - the OLED is the "main" telly in the lounge for films and sports, and the Sammy is used as a monitor for work (when needed) and for gaming.

They're both great, they just cover different options. I'd still say the OLED is my favourite for richness of image and definitely displays standard blu-rays better, but the Samsung upscales poor content better and is punchier for HDR. And I don't worry about burn in when gaming.

Thanks Billy. I think that’s my dilemma .. I only have 1 tv and don’t plan on keeping the oled if I get a new one .. and it’s finding the right balance and not worry too much about the kids/usage as I do with my b6. It’s taken a good few years to turn up but no cannot unsee and it will only get worse watching more Disney+ HDR letterboxed stuff .. even the original series tend to be letterboxed now too! :(

It will be interesting to see if LG increase their 5yr warranty (2-5yr covers screen only) across their OLED range. Although it will also be interesting to see how they handle burn-in and whether they still try and wriggle out of it (seeing that they state they cover burn-in now). But their new guarantee (on their top series) still states that you have to pay for the labour (if the screen needs replacing), whatever that will cost!? But it's a start I guess.

That's interesting to hear, I didn't know LG were saying that now. Its a definite move in the right direction but having to pay for any labour doesn't really sound acceptable to me. Better than nothing though.

When I read the wording of the guarantee that I saw for the G1, it was still not 100% clear to me with regards burn in. But this was just going by a statement read out on HDTVTest, where Vincent read it as meaning burn in. It read more like a lawyers non committing statement to me though. I guess time will tell.

When I read the wording of the guarantee that I saw for the G1, it was still not 100% clear to me with regards burn in. But this was just going by a statement read out on HDTVTest, where Vincent read it as meaning burn in. It read more like a lawyers non committing statement to me though. I guess time will tell.
I guess LG will never commit to a clear message regarding "burn-in" or "permanent image retention" since it helps them argue against OLED TV owners who are asking for a panel replacement. That is part of their defense. Otherwise you will have people who uses this TVs 15+ hours per day for news, work or gaming and they will request a free panel replacement from LG every 2 years or so, which is probably not sustainable in the long run.

A few pointers since I have gone from Samsung TVs to 2021 LG OLED TV and then back to a Samsung TV.

I avoided going the QLED route due to this 100 page thread here:

Basically the newer QLEDs from 2020 were faulty with a stuttering issue which samsung just did not fix properly, still not sure if it effects 2021+ QLEDs but enough for me to not go with either QLED series even the 2021 series, mine is a regular TU8500 Samsung TV.

When I went from Samsung to LG OLED then Samsung again, I miss the viewing angles from the OLED right away, its a big difference in terms of picture quality overall, also the inky blacks it just gives that overall sharpness and detail I can't ever get going with a Samsung TV.

I believe the higher end 55"-65+ Samsung tvs some have wider viewing angles, better colours and better panels though, mine were more smaller 40-43" Samsung Tvs and mid range level.

If you are worried about burn in go with John lewis D&G £140 5 year burn in cover for extra peace of mind, 2018+ oleds the burn in issue should really have been fixed according to LG at least.

LG have implemented multiple burn in prevention software into their newer OLEDS so really it should be almost impossible to get it, basically they threw the entire kitchen sink at the issue.

LG do offer a OLED panel swap service for about £200-250 if you get burn in issues, but always a good idea to check with LG if they still run it since during Covid they stopped at times.

Thanks Billy. I think that’s my dilemma .. I only have 1 tv and don’t plan on keeping the oled if I get a new one .. and it’s finding the right balance and not worry too much about the kids/usage as I do with my b6. It’s taken a good few years to turn up but no cannot unsee and it will only get worse watching more Disney+ HDR letterboxed stuff .. even the original series tend to be letterboxed now too! :(
I'd honestly spend whatever you can on a decent QLED right now, and revisit in another five years or so once newer screen technologies have arrived on the market and come down in price a bit.

OLED is still the one to beat for me, but I get twitchy about baby-sitting it, even if the likelihood of burn in is lower with the newer panels.

Or just buy an OLED from John Lewis and get their burn in cover!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom