OLED to QLED - who switched

fluxedman

No, there is no ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) nor ASBL (Automatic Static Brightness Limiter) in the 2017 LG models. I also cannot remember any software update adding any of those features in the LG B7 model while I owned it - sold it in May 2021.

ahh interesting that might have been what LG done to attempt to reduce or fix the burn in issue going forward, that still does not inspire much confidence though, since OLED manufacturers are trying to get brighter displays year on year, does that mean they kick in ABL and ASBL and other burn in measures, even more I wonder.

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
I do find it interesting/funny that with all the concerns/warnings about static content causing burn in that LG actively promote OLED as the TV for "HDR gaming as it's meant to be" :D

If you want the very best and purest then it is OLED. You simply cannot beat self emissive technology.

Backlit and FALD have come a long way but principally this is not the same technology and the challenge to be able to hit the deepest blacks still remains.

The rest is a mix of the compromise and what suits you best. If for example your TV was going into a brightly lit room them perhaps FALD would suit you better. If you are conscious of screen burn then again again you could go that way.

It all comes at a compromise though because when it comes to picture quality, OLED is considered the best.

Last edited:

CliffordinWales

ahh interesting that might have been what LG done to attempt to reduce or fix the burn in issue going forward, that still does not inspire much confidence though, since OLED manufacturers are trying to get brighter displays year on year, does that mean they kick in ABL and ASBL and other burn in measures, even more I wonder.
There actually hadn't been much progress on brightness over the last few years until the Evo panel. The G1, A90J etc which feature this panel are about 20% brighter on full-field white - but it's still <200 nits. And in an accurate mode most OLEDs are still only hitting 750 nits on a 10% window, with or without the Evo panel.

There actually hadn't been much progress on brightness over the last few years until the Evo panel. The G1, A90J etc which feature this panel are about 20% brighter on full-field white - but it's still <200 nits. And in an accurate mode most OLEDs are still only hitting 750 nits on a 10% window, with or without the Evo panel.
Interesting .. was just reading through the rtings reviews and see what you mean. My old b6 is as bright or more than the new C1 which is a surprise. So prob something to do with how LG handle screen burn maybe 🤔

has anyone switched to a larger newer oled and found it to be not as bright as the older one being replaced?

CliffordinWales

Interesting .. was just reading through the rtings reviews and see what you mean. My old b6 is as bright or more than the new C1 which is a surprise. So prob something to do with how LG handle screen burn maybe 🤔

has anyone switched to a larger newer oled and found it to be not as bright as the older one being replaced?
I understand from some reviewers that larger panels "appear brighter" than smaller ones, even at the same luminance level, simply because they have a larger surface area emitting light. So a proper 'by eye' comparison would be between two TVs of the same size and ideally you'd measure them using a meter.

I should also mention that the A90J has famously been recorded as hitting 1,300 nits briefly on a 10% window but that was only in the inaccurate Vivid mode.

UpgradingAgain

Well…as a lay person ( not looking for faults or able to test) I walked into Curry’s and thought I’d take a look at the screens as they stand on display.
I have to say that, to my eyes, the A90J, 84J, G1 and C1 looked the same?! I looked at their demos and also YouTube; where it worked. My wife felt that the A90J was better to her eyes but I honestly couldn’t tell! So this is great for me as ignorance CAN by bliss!
I also looked at the X95J ( led) and that also looked great!
Whether I looked at 4K or SD I found the image, motion, etc. to be very watchable. Yes, they’re all set on vivid mode but that still shows what the TV can do in terms of brightness, colour and motion.
I am now somewhat happier in that I feel all the TVs I saw would be good enough! And it is worrying when I see so many negative things said on these forums yet I’m happy with what I’ve seen out there! Do I need new glasses? 🤓

SibTiger33

What is everyone's thoughts on the Hisense ULED tvs? is the tech any better or worst than QLED?

Last edited:

CliffordinWales

What is everyone's thoughts on the Hisense ULED tvs? is the tech any better or worst than QLED?
The Dual Cell? I've watched a few YouTube videos about it. Seems to have better blacks and blooming control than any other LCD, OK peak brightness (1,000 nits) but low colour volume. And it's not the thinnest TV on the market, either.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I've gone from OLED to FALD to Projector to OLED.

Overall I think every technology has its pros and cons.

OLED are simply beautiful and that deep contrast and excellent dark scene performance with its three dimension look is difficult to beat when you combine it with the excellent viewing angles.

But as OLEDs are so close to perfection, I find their shortcomings become even more obvious. 5% banding for me was a major issue on dark scenes and a DSE grainy effect on white scenes. The ABL on desktop applications wasn't good at the lack of HDR bright full screen impact was definitely missing. The motion was also just not as good as every other technology.

FALS and QLEDs are great. Awesome colour volume, brightness. I find general issues are easier to forgive because an LCD is just full of compromises but the same issues rear its heads in different manifestations re: uniformity, DSE, LCD banding. Motion I find much better. HDR wise the full screen impact is awesome as is the ability to watch the TV AND get impactful HDR because of the sheet nit count; which i I think is the entire point of a TV - to watch it with the lights on.

Projection I feel is superior to them all due to the sheer size aslong as you can get a dynamic tone mapping solution, dedicated rooms, and never switch on the lights. However if you can't fulfill all 3 of those criteria, it quickly becomes a very compromised experience PQ wise - but the sheer size will probably wow most people... if they can house it in their homes.

Sadly my journey in home AV has just taught me nothing is perfect and trying to chase perfection is a stressful, annoying game. Buy what you can and enjoy it. Don't overanalyse it. If you want to go to an enthusiast level, go projection. For everyday stuff, pick your poison but try not to overanalyse what you buy. Don't go looking for problems. etc.

They're all great and they're all crap at the same time lol.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom