OLED to QLED - who switched

I'm not too fussed about the burn in, it's a lot rarer on the new screens from 2020 onwards. However the only thing that was frustrating me was day time TV where you would see your own reflection. I don't want to have to pull the curtains every day, especially in the summer!

I've gone for the QN94A for now and will see how I get on, the video reviews suggest it nearly matches OLED, even at 85% I'm happy with that. Without having to two side by side you never know what you're missing really. Give me a bit more brightness that inky blacks any day!

I'm not too fussed about the burn in, it's a lot rarer on the new screens from 2020 onwards. However the only thing that was frustrating me was day time TV where you would see your own reflection. I don't want to have to pull the curtains every day, especially in the summer!

I've gone for the QN94A for now and will see how I get on, the video reviews suggest it nearly matches OLED, even at 85% I'm happy with that. Without having to two side by side you never know what you're missing really. Give me a bit more brightness that inky blacks any day!

Give it time on the 2020 OLED's onwards, the reports of burn in will come. Good to hear positive's about the D&G cover though!

I'm liking the sound of this years Samsungs but the lack of DV is still a huge let down for me, but the good thing is that the top end LCD market is edging ever closer to the OLEDs in terms of blacks/contrast.

Give it time on the 2020 OLED's onwards, the reports of burn in will come. Good to hear positive's about the D&G cover though!

I'm liking the sound of this years Samsungs but the lack of DV is still a huge let down for me, but the good thing is that the top end LCD market is edging ever closer to the OLEDs in terms of blacks/contrast.

Ahh the old 'give it time' line. Post-2018 oleds are more resilient to burn-in, so what was historically a rare issue anyway, is now even rarer.

Ironically, 'LEDs are catching up with oled' is another line that people have been saying for years now too. Ahem, still waiting...

Ahh the old 'give it time' line. Post-2018 oleds are more resilient to burn-in, so what was historically a rare issue anyway, is now even rarer.

Ironically, 'LEDs are catching up with oled' is another line that people have been saying for years now too. Ahem, still waiting...

Thanks for your input :smashin::rotfl:

Plenty of people have been doing long-term burn-in testing on OLEDs - Vincent Teoh has done it, Rtings did it with C7s (which I believe were models released before pixel shifting, logo dimming and the like were implemented).

Their results showed no issues after 9,000 hours of varied content (equivalent to 5 hours a day for 5 years). If you do display a static image all the time then yes, you are letting yourself in for trouble, but realistically who does that? And like I said previously, I believe the newer models and those to come from next year onwards featuring Evo panels, heatsinks and the like should be much more resistant to burn in any case.

On the sterile old LCD vs. OLED debate, I think it all comes down to viewing environment and use case. If you're watching in direct sunlight and mainly viewing SDR, go for QLED. If you're in a light-controlled room and watching lots of HDR, go for OLED.

In terms of where QLED / LCD goes from here, I remember seeing a Samsung roadmap somewhere online which seemed to imply QLED will be phased out in favour of newer technologies from mid-decade onwards. I think most gains have been extracted from the LCD technology with FALD, quantum dot films, mini-LED backlights and wide-angle filters... it's difficult to see what further level of performance can be eked out.

What has surprised me most is I did baby the screen a lot and it’s not logos it’s the black bars from watching films. The hdr film are causing uneven wear in the middle of the screen and not sure what pixel shift or orbiters etc could do to prevent that .. it’s just common usage.

I was a stanch plasma user for years and love the oled picture but 5yrs old is not long for a top end tv to start seeing issues.

appreciate the comments and will see how the latest qled fair to oled in the best place .. in my home.

I’ve got a CX77,had burn in on my B6+B7
just bought a Samsung QN94A for the bedroom

here is an example of my screen burn ... and also the "hot" patch on the right which has a warmer temp to the left side.

IMG_3504.jpg

still waiting for the QN95 .. must be the global chip shortages kicking in as not even a date of when it'll be delivered :(

I own 3 Sony Oleds. A1E 65 purchased 2017, AG9 65 purchased 2019, AG9 77 purchased 2021, zero burn in on all.

Your mileage may vary.

I’m pitching in here because I’m on a search to replace my Sony 75 9405 with 85 inch whatever. I’ve read this and the Samsung Qn95a thread with interest because I so wanted to like the Mini LED but there appear to be HDMI issues reported with Sammy. The lad is a misbehavin! Now a few months back the A90J Sony seemed to be the new King of TV as far as I recall and people weeent sure if LG would/could better it with their flagship. I also don’t know which is the best OLED today as I’ve not kept up with it. Then there was talk of DV support, or other formats etc. And one gets wondering where the ‘ best’ tv is! Now I watch mostly Amazon, Sky Sports, Netflix and play a little PS5. It seems oled isn’t gaming recommended but im not a big gamer so will I notice? Then I have a well lit lounge but we like watching with shutters closed so is that oled or Qled territory? What happened to TCL or Hisense mini leds? Are they not as good? I’m left wondering what to think!
Sorry for the long comment

I do find it interesting/funny that with all the concerns/warnings about static content causing burn in that LG actively promote OLED as the TV for "HDR gaming as it's meant to be" :D

I do find it interesting/funny that with all the concerns/warnings about static content causing burn in that LG actively promote OLED as the TV for "HDR gaming as it's meant to be" :D
Of course they do. They are selling a range of products and want to increase their sales numbers by targeting a wide range of possible buyers. In case an OLED TV owners has any issues they can say that it's the TV owner's fault because it's written in the device manual that you should watch "varied content".

I take it all back, I've now just compared my CX to the QN94A and my god it is so inferior. Yes the blacks look great but it lacks that clarity and refinement you get from the OLED. Maybe my picture settings aren't great on the Samsung and I'll tweak it again but since day 1 I've not seen that 4K image I'm used to from the OLED. The opening scene from Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on the OLED with Dolby Vision was a sight to be seen, wonderful balanced colour pallets with great highlights.

I'm going to return it and go back to OLED, it's a no brainer for me. I'm just going to have to put up with the reflections during day time telly.

Rather avoid Neo QLEDs or similar especially with that black level detail issue, rather get older LED sets then lose that precious detail, especially if you are a sci-fi or horror fan.

Neo QLED review

I believe it was 2018 when OLEDs turned that corner and got so much anti burn in tech, if it was all a lie then LGs OLED panel swap service is still an option @ £200, even if you do get another 2-3 years use from the newer panel, id say you would be more or less looking at a newer TV.

Samsung releasing QD-OLEDS next year so even they understand they need OLED since the picture quality is just too good to miss out on.

Id stick with LED tech if only watching TV during daytime telly and in a living room with multiple windows, if you like TV box sets and movies and those tend to be at night watching, then OLED.

Last edited:
here is an example of my screen burn ... and also the "hot" patch on the right which has a warmer temp to the left side.

View attachment 1563275

still waiting for the QN95 .. must be the global chip shortages kicking in as not even a date of when it'll be delivered :(
That looks to me like the rectangle in the middle of the screen that was acknowledged to be a manufacturing fault, LG have replaced many of those affected by it - might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

I’m pitching in here because I’m on a search to replace my Sony 75 9405 with 85 inch whatever. I’ve read this and the Samsung Qn95a thread with interest because I so wanted to like the Mini LED but there appear to be HDMI issues reported with Sammy. The lad is a misbehavin! Now a few months back the A90J Sony seemed to be the new King of TV as far as I recall and people weeent sure if LG would/could better it with their flagship. I also don’t know which is the best OLED today as I’ve not kept up with it. Then there was talk of DV support, or other formats etc. And one gets wondering where the ‘ best’ tv is! Now I watch mostly Amazon, Sky Sports, Netflix and play a little PS5. It seems oled isn’t gaming recommended but im not a big gamer so will I notice? Then I have a well lit lounge but we like watching with shutters closed so is that oled or Qled territory? What happened to TCL or Hisense mini leds? Are they not as good? I’m left wondering what to think!
Sorry for the long comment
There's not a "best" OLED in 2021 - there are various models that best fit different use cases.

If you're just going to be watching movies, the consensus seems to be that the A90J can't be beat. But it comes at a serious premium and you might find the step-down A80J offers a better balance between price and performance.

Where Sony comes up short is in gaming. It has only two HDMI 2.1 ports, one of which is taken up with the eARC functionality. It doesn't yet support VRR (though a future firmware update is promised).

LG is where it's at for serious gamers. The C and G series have four HDMI 2.1 ports boasting full functionality. They even offer 120hz Dolby Vision gaming now.

If you're able to control the light in your room then OLED should be fine.

There's not a "best" OLED in 2021 - there are various models that best fit different use cases.

If you're just going to be watching movies, the consensus seems to be that the A90J can't be beat. But it comes at a serious premium and you might find the step-down A80J offers a better balance between price and performance.

Where Sony comes up short is in gaming. It has only two HDMI 2.1 ports, one of which is taken up with the eARC functionality. It doesn't yet support VRR (though a future firmware update is promised).

LG is where it's at for serious gamers. The C and G series have four HDMI 2.1 ports boasting full functionality. They even offer 120hz Dolby Vision gaming now.

If you're able to control the light in your room then OLED should be fine.
I currently have the Sony LED and can tell that oled will have the more inky blacks etc. I just wonder if leds today are close enough to oled and have none of the image retention risks of oled. In fact, is oled -evo going to help reduce screen burn etc? That would make me go for oled more confidently. It is a shame that Sony has only 2 2.1 HDMIs.

I currently have the Sony LED and can tell that oled will have the more inky blacks etc. I just wonder if leds today are close enough to oled and have none of the image retention risks of oled. In fact, is oled -evo going to help reduce screen burn etc? That would make me go for oled more confidently. It is a shame that Sony has only 2 2.1 HDMIs.

LCD TVs have two advantages over OLEDs - the potential for higher brightness and the absence of any risk of screen burn. They have definitely improved over recent years with the addition of FALD, quantum dots and miniLED backlights. But the technology has really reached the end of its development potential and still cannot match OLED's true blacks, contrast, pixel-level control (i.e. total absence of blooming) or viewing angles.

I would only worry about burn-in if you're just going to be playing one game with static screen elements constantly for hours on end, every day of the week. In that case, buy a Samsung or a Sony X90J or something. If you vary your content you can feel confident in choosing an OLED.

I believe it was 2018 when OLEDs turned that corner and got so much anti burn in tech, if it was all a lie then LGs OLED panel swap service is still an option @ £200, even if you do get another 2-3 years use from the newer panel, id say you would be more or less looking at a newer TV.
Only in the UK. Here in the German region of Europe LG is asking the full price of a new TV to replace the panel on an OLED TV. In my case 1050 Euros (£900) for a 55" panel replacement on the LG B7 model.

Last edited:
Only in the UK. Here in the German region of Europe LG is asking the full price of a new TV to replace the panel on an OLED TV. In my case 1050 Euros (£900) for a 55" panel replacement on the LG B7 model.

I would try and source individual TV engineers in your area and get quotations before going the LG route which is very bad service if they are asking full price. Its a 30 minute job for most decent TV engineers.

I believe the LG B7 was an 2017 model so sadly may not have had the burn in tech.

I just hope in 1-2 years time we don't start seeing a wave of 2018 and beyond OLED owners with burn in issues, id be very shocked if we do frankly, since LG put several burn in techniques to stop the issue.

I would try and source individual TV engineers in your area and get quotations before going the LG route which is very bad service if they are asking full price. Its a 30 minute job for most decent TV engineers.
Unfortunately, the price of a replacement OLED panel is a substantial proportion of the cost of the TV. The LG offer is/was presumably a loss-leading good-will gesture, offered to their customers in certain countries and in certain situations - I doubt an independent engineer would be able to replace an OLED screen for anywhere near as little as LG charge for that one-off repair.

That's what I did. The answer regarding the 1050 Euros actually came from the LG repair service partner company (called FSMS here in Austria) who take care of most of the TV repairs for LG, Sony and Samsung in my area. They were in contact with LG before. The next LG repair service company would have been 1-2 hours away from my town. The repair guy from LG's service repair partner blamed me that it's my fault "for buying an OLED TV and not expecting any burn-in since the display is made of organic components which age/degrade over time." Neither the retailer Amazon Germany cared to help me in this case.

The only option I had left was to sell the OLED TV for a fraction (250 Euros) of what I paid for it.

I believe the LG B7 was an 2017 model so sadly may not have had the burn in tech.
The 2017 models like the LG B7 do have some "burn-in" tech, like for example the Pixel Refresher (which runs when you turn the TV off), the Pixel Shifter and the screen saver (for the Prime Video App). But it's still not enough to prevent "burn-in" (as you can see in my profile picture).

I just hope in 1-2 years time we don't start seeing a wave of 2018 and beyond OLED owners with burn in issues, id be very shocked if we do frankly, since LG put several burn in techniques to stop the issue.
LG increase the size of the red sup-pixel matter (which degrades the fastest), added additional features like the "Logo Luminescence Adjustment" (which identifies and dims static UI elements), probably made improvements regarding the Pixel Refresher algorithm and apparently made changes to the screen brightness.

I personally think that the issue of "permanent image retention" or "burn-in" (whatever people want to call it) is a typical aging effect of OLED panels and the preventive features added in the recent OLED TV models only prolong the lifetime of an OLED display rather than completely eliminate the issue. It just probably takes now 3-4 years longer than before. I'm looking forward to see a proper test on OLED TV durability of current models.

Shame really expected LG to be a bit more better in that regards, I know the older OLED panels are rare and probably not made anymore so a 3rd party repairer a long shot at best. For that LG repairer to blame you for buying an LG OLED and saying that to expect it, is disgusting.

That is somewhat discouraging to hear, pixel shift did not help your OLED, one would have felt shifting pixels left to right would prevent any burn in.

Did your LG B7 have any ABL and ABSL tech build in ? any screen darkening moments basically.

Did your LG B7 have any ABL and ABSL tech build in ? any screen darkening moments basically.
No, there is no ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) nor ASBL (Automatic Static Brightness Limiter) in the 2017 LG models. I also cannot remember any software update adding any of those features in the LG B7 model while I owned it - sold it in May 2021.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom