Question OLED: To bias light, or not to bias light?

t-force

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Pretty much what the title says: what's the prevailing thinking over using bias lighting with an OLED display? Is it going to help the picture, or compromise it? I'm aware that it should reduce eye strain, but since I'm getting fairly anal about picture quality at the moment, I'd be intrigued to know people's thoughts on this.

For those saying it's a good thing, can anyone recommend any particular D65 kit?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
No lights its looks silly. With perfect blacks none is needed. :cool:

The only time i've ever felt eye strain in a pitch black room is when I had the OLED light set way too high on my first 960 and that was fixed the next night. If anything I find oleds easier on my eyes because dim scenes are actually dim, theres no backlight glaring out. Watching movies in the dark on an oled completely sold these sets for me and any amount of ambient light diminishes the experience for me personally.

Only reason would be to mask near-black deficiencies/anomalies.

The only time i've ever felt eye strain in a pitch black room is when I had the OLED light set way too high on my first 960 and that was fixed the next night. If anything I find oleds easier on my eyes because dim scenes are actually dim, theres no backlight glaring out. Watching movies in the dark on an oled completely sold these sets for me and any amount of ambient light diminishes the experience for me personally.

I guess it depends on the cause of the eye strain and the type of content you're watching.

If you're watching content that constantly flips between bright and dark content it can lead to eye muscle fatigue as your eyes are constantly having to adjust to changes in light levels. It's akin to flashing a torch in your eyes. Therefore an OLED set which can transition between zero light output and high light output could be worse.

I used to suffer from eye fatigue sometimes as I watched TV and used my laptop a lot in the evening from bed (the wife can't tolerate the lights on while sleeping and I often work odd hours). Lowering the brightness significantly on both the TV and laptop helped alot with this.

For this type of eye fatigue its the extent of the difference in light levels which causes the issue rather then purely the intensity of the light. For example when using my laptop when I glanced away to the black room my Iris opened right up, then rapidly contracted when I looked back at the laptop screen.

WRT the question, unless it was due to issues with eye fatigue I wouldn't use bias lighting.

I enjoy watching films with the lights out, so I'd rather put up with the odd PQ issue then use bias lighting and detract from the experience 100% of the time. I can tolerate grey blacks on my LCD's, if any set is so bad I can't watch with the lights out, its going back :/

Something that is constant like a bias light can indeed be easier in terms of acclimation versus something that is more variable like the near black problem. Since content is variable, it can have the tendency to be more distracting. I still prefer no bias light, but I can't speak for everybody.

I use bias lighting as I find it reduces eye fatigue plus I can still find my beer!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Can't seem to add the link properly. Where the xxx are type visual chill out

No lights its looks silly. With perfect blacks none is needed. :cool:

I may try it to see if it helps with lower res / SD content that can have artefacts at near black. Could help in those situations. But for the techs faults I can't help but love the black levels not being able to see the borders. Though it's a nightmare at night if need to move around room as so dark. LED it was always like you had a torch and even Plasma.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom