OLED stutter??

Gino48

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was still considering an OLED tv (despite my worry about burn in) until I spent considerable time at a local bestbuy and noticed the stutter I read about but never believed it until I saw it in person. šŸ˜”

Some say it doesn't bother them or they don't see it....I don't understand how someone can say that. It's clear as day when there's a panning shot or movement of any kind on screen. I am a cinephile and do not want to use any type of soap opera effect because as we all know, it starts to introduce artifacts in the picture.

I noticed that rtings gave Sony's A8H a score of 5.0 for stutter and the X950H a score of 6.9.

My question to you guys is, considering the difference is only approximately 2 points, how bad is the stutter on an OLED compared to the x950h?

I own a 5-year-old Toshiba and don't see any stutter when watching movies. It's an edgelit TV that cost me only $500 for a 55-inch. It's funny how there's stutter on a TV that costs four times that amount!

I did some research online and realize why oleds have this problem. It's because their pixel response time is faster than other technologies. I just don't understand why they haven't perfected this?? It's bad enough someone has to worry about burn in or image retention and now stutter too?

Why would anybody buy a TV with these flaws in it? And, the million dollar question here is, why don't any TV reviewers online mention this? Not a single YouTube personality has mentioned stutter issues. All they ever talk about is the amazing black levels, superb colors and the best gaming experience with HDMI 2.1.

Your thoughts?

The problem isn't really the TV's its the persistence of low frame rate video like 24fps, modern displays like OLED with extremely fast response times expose the stutter of such low frame rates. OLED in particular excels at high refresh rates up to 120hz.

Plasmas and CRT's handled low fps in a different method than LCD/OLED so it wasn't an issue for them. Some older LCD's had very slow response times so that actually helped in managing the low fps stutter (like your Toshiba most likely).

Unfortunately there has been little movement away from 24fps because of complaints of the loss of film effect, if video was sporting higher fps we wouldn't have this problem. People would adapt in time and 60fps video on Youtube is helping conditioning younger generations to higher fps video.

As to why it isn't mentioned most people don't see it, they will use a preset which will do something to manage it not perfect but good enough for most.

As to the low fps stutter management of the two Sony's I think you'd have to test in person for yourself, thats the only way to be sure.

I myself can tolerate low levels of motion interpolation so I find that an acceptable solution, others may not.

if 24fps is the problem how come i do not see it in the theaters? I do see some stutter but Isaw some stutter on my plasma as well in certain scenes.

the one exception is when I saw Black Widow in the theater it stuttered terribly. what a mess. maybe films made with film stutter more. maybe its the cameraman? lol

if 24fps is the problem how come i do not see it in the theaters? I do see some stutter but Isaw some stutter on my plasma as well in certain scenes.

the one exception is when I saw Black Widow in the theater it stuttered terribly. what a mess. maybe films made with film stutter more. maybe its the cameraman? lol

Think you are mixing up stutter with telecine judder which is inherent to low frame rate content (24 fps). Also you are worrying too much. :)

Try watching the opening scene of Hell or High Water or Army of the Dead Netflix (around 40 min mark when the camera pans from right to left) on any OLED / LCD / Plasma TV with all motion interpolation turned off and let us know how it looks.

I am not mixing it up. My Plasma juddered terribly. My oled does not Judder at all. It stutters but I wonder if theaters stutter about the same. That Black Widow looked worse in the theater than on my OLED.

Think you are mixing up stutter with telecine judder which is inherent to low frame rate content (24 fps). Also you are worrying too much. :)

Try watching the opening scene of Hell or High Water or Army of the Dead Netflix (around 40 min mark when the camera pans from right to left) on any OLED / LCD / Plasma TV with all motion interpolation turned off and let us know how it looks.
Question? Is stutter a concern for most content or only the old TV programs that have a low frame rate? This fellow says he saw stutter in the store. Is this possible since they are going to be playing higher frame rate videos in the store?
Sounds like a miser that is trying to convince us that his Toshiba is as good as an OLED

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom