OLED software screen-burn solution?

mikezoe

Would it be possible for OLED tv manufacturers to mask onscreen static logos which cause Screen burn-in? Thinking of software which could replace the Sky News banners and breaking news red blocks in some way - eg black block?

scottiefraser

Would it be possible for OLED tv manufacturers to mask onscreen static logos which cause Screen burn-in? Thinking of software which could replace the Sky News banners and breaking news red blocks in some way - eg black block?
I just use the customised zoom when I watch anything with banners.

pjhaahl

It would be easier and make more sense for Sky to enable viewers to toggle infographics / banners on and off at will using a button on the remote - one of the coloured buttons for example. Perhaps if enough people keep pushing it they might eventually listen.

PKblue

LG have a a "logo brightness reduction" feature in their new OLEDs I think, but it would be far too challenging to implement "masking" as it would annoy more people than it would help.

As for graphics between controllable etc - this will possibly happen when everything moves to non-broadcast TV (ie. delivered over the internet etc) but for now it is all mixed into the signal before it gets broadcast. The have it as a switchable/controllable layer would require changes in the entire workflow (including hardware/infrastructure) so no-one is going to undertake that until they absolutely have to (which may be never). Hopefully some time in the future though.
(And I think they should do it especially for special services - eg. having a signer for hearing impaired people should be available as a choice on regular programming where the signing has been done, rather than a specific broadcast with it mixed in so everyone has to see it - these are broadcast in very off peak times. It's great that they do those special versions, but in this day and age technology should be able to provide a more effective and flexible way of achieving this)

kenfowler3966

The red button should give access to turm or off these features. I can't be the only one who avoids BBC news channel to protect my oled tv, yet currently have all that screen garbage there if I watch the update briefing on BBC 1. Even worse if I iuse the rewind function to watch the program from the start it won't even zoom the picture to get rid of some banners! I like watching Click, but never actually on the news channel time slot. Watch it on catch up and the banners are not there.

Unopinionated

The LG C8 has been out for two years and the C9 for a year. I was wondering how many owners of the C8, C9, or Sony OLEDs have experienced burn in. Always read about C7 and older OLED TVs, but I was wondering if there are many reports on the new OLEDs.

Went through the 584 pages of the C8 owners discussion thread and having a hard time finding any reports of burn in.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom