Oled signal problem (hdmi -possibly related to grounding)

blipoids

Novice Member
I have an LG C1 connected to my PC as my display and after some time the signal gradually becomes more and more corrupted.
The solution usually is to unplug the hdmi cable from my gpu and plug it in again. Usually when I have to do this I get a small zap when I touch it. The hdmi plugs are metallic and very hot.
The reason I mention grounding in the title is because most of the outlets in the apartment are not grounded.
Has anyone had this problem before and could it be related to static?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Avoid ‘Hot Plugging’ HDMI as whilst it is designed to offer some protection when making and breaking a connection with kit powered on your ‘double insulated’ kit will use the HDMI cable as a ground and you can easily fry chip sets as you make or break a connection.

Are you running long HDMI cables with devices plugged to separate power outlets?

Joe

blipoids

Novice Member
I have a 5 meter HDMI cable running from pc to TV. For now I have no idea how to fix it other plugging it out an in. As the temperatures will rise towards summer I expect a slight alleviation. However: what other options do I have in other to prevent this from happening?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What happens if you lower the resolution the PC is Outputting?

Is it a Passive HDMI cable?

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The cable you link to is a Fibre cable - it 'steals' power from the Source to power the electrical to optical converter chip within the HDMI hod to allow the signal to run over fibre. The cable is likely puling too much power from your Source device. You can try installing a USB powered 5v HDMI Power Injector between the Source and the 'Send' end of the Fibre cable.

Alternatively replace the cable with a 5m Ultra High Speed certified passive cable.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom