OLED screen burn query relating to Twitch viewing - LG55CX / 48CX

cactuss

Standard Member
Hello everyone

I have been browsing this OLED screen burn thread with interest. I am thinking of purchasing either the LG 55CX or the LG 48CX. It would go in my bedroom (replacing my old 32 inch Sony tv). I just need to decide whether 49 inches would be better for me, and less overwhelming than 55 inches when sitting in bed.

Primary usage would be for:
  • Netflix,
  • DVD/Bluray viewing
  • Twitch Hearthstone gaming streams (potentially for several hours continuously)
  • Some news viewing in the evenings (Sky News)

I have read about the OLED screen burn risk with news channels. Do you think there is a risk with something like Twitch (where logos / gaming overlays are going to stay consistently in corners of the screen)?

I was pondering the John Lewis £140 additional protection cover. They specifically state screen burn is covered.
However, that raises the cost substantially.
As an alternative, I am also pondering the Sony KD49 model - which is not OLED.

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer.

next010

Distinguished Member
That depends on what channels you watch on Twitch even if your using the Twitch app full screen how many overlays are on screen, that is no different from channel logos.

Heartstone is a card game so portions of its interface are quite static.

If your careful you might be able to avoid any burn in but leaving a largely static twitch stream on for several hours a day is asking for trouble.

cactuss

Standard Member
If your careful you might be able to avoid any burn in but leaving a largely static twitch stream on for several hours a day is asking for trouble.

Thank you for the advice. I may opt for a normal 4K LED tv instead then - just to be safe! Given how big of an investment this is, I am happier to tread with caution.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom